Songs that remind you of Muppets

dwmckim

Reaction score
As obsessed Muppet fans, the littlest things probably remind us of something Muppety leaving to many a moment with friends left scratching their heads...like songs for example.

This thread is for all those songs that automatically make you think of some kind of Muppety moment. I have tons of them but here's just a small sampling of ones that immediately come to mind...

- It's a Sin by Pet Shop Boys - this is a VERY Count Von Count song. The main organ line (both the sound of it and the melodyline) sounds very much like a classic Count song - then when you throw the thunderclaps on top of it and even a countdown from 10 to zero and this is a Count Song!

- Rock Lobster by B-52's. There's quite a few various howls by the girls that remind me of Eren Ozker-ish screams - especially her whatnot screaming in horror after her experience with Vendaface!

- Tora Tora Tora by Depeche Mode - there are "sproing" noises throughout the song that reminds me of the sound effects of jumping frogs in The Frog Prince. Whenever i listen to this song, i have an irresistable urge to declare "Have a popover, Froggy!"

- Master and Servant by Depeche Mode - the very ending of the song always brings to mind the scene from Muppet Babies where Baby Animal tries to cheer up someone with a paddleball and ends up getting tangled up in it and leaves with the paddleball spanking him as he crawls off "owowow"

- ABC Freeform by Eurythmics - tell me this wasn't inspired by the Alien Alphabet sketch from Sesame Street...in fact Alien Alphabet sounds so wonderfully Eurythmic-acal that it's no wonder they're my all time favorite.

- I Need a Man by Eurythmics - there's a guitar lick in this song (right after Annie declares "baby you're just overblown") that sounds like Swedish Chef's hollar in John Denver episode where he gets chased by the local wildlife.

- Beautiful Day by U2 - whenever i hear this song on the radio i get this mental picture of Bono sharing his microphone with Beautiful Day Monster (and BD alternately trying to sing into it and eat it)

- Doubleplusgood by Eurythmics - towards the end of the song Annie does this countdown that keeps starting over before she reaches one - and she does it in such a way that it sounds very much like the Count getting such glee out of his numbers (TEN TEN Ten nine eight seven six five four three two TEN TEN!)

- Womankind by Annie Lennox - she does this sputtering toungue roll throughout that reminds me so much of the Merdlidop aliens from the Dom De Louise episode that i always envision Annie in a merdlidop headpiece popping out of craters when i hear it.

- any song by the Beloved - reminds me of Bear in the Big Blue House, the singer sounds SO MUCH like Bear if he got a new job singing electro.

- New Moon on Monday by Duran Duran - some of Simon LeBon's phrasing in this song makes him sound like a valley girl - especially at various parts when he sings the "new" in the song title it sounds like Janice's infamous "eeuuugh"

- Sweet Child of Mine by Guns N Roses - one time when i had to sit through hearing this song, it suddenly hit me - it totally sounds like Little Jerry singing lead vocals!

- Spiderwebs by No Doubt - there's parts where i could swear Gwen is thisclose to breaking out into Mahna Mahna.

- Hanging on the Telephone by Blondie - i always picture Little Jerry in the telephone booth from Telephone Rock when i hear this song.

Those are some of mine - what are yours?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Okay a couple more...

- Eurythmics fanatic i am i've heard many live recordings and bootlegs. One of my fave live songs from them is Never Gonna Cry Again - i've heard it performed many different ways and love them all. On many versions (especially during Touch Tour era) Annie gets into it at the end with her adlibs and gets to belting out "Never - NEVER - NEVER" which of course makes me think that Don Music has a sister!

- How many of you can't help but think of Grover's near and far when Celene Dion sings My Heart Will Go On (Near - far - wherever you are - this is near and this is faaaarr). More importantly how many of you really wish Grover WOULD interupt Celene with his near/far routine?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well when I first heard Janet Jackson's song "Black Cat" the lyrics "better watch your step or you're gonna die" always reminded me of my beloved sketch of the hiking pigs in John Denver episode.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
One Night in Bangkok-I can picture the muppets running around the town dealing with pretty women, pricey hotels, and of course explosions.

Material Girl-Perfect Set up for Miss Piggy

Sweet Escape-once again Perfect for Miss Piggy

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
When I was little, I first heard the Annie song, "It's a Hard Knock Life". It totally reminded me of Elmo and Zoe singing that song. Weird, isn't it?

Whenever I hear Train's "Drive By", I always think of "Five By". Whenever I hear Feist's "1234", I always think about the SS song with the same name. Whenever I hear Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours", I always think about the SS song, "Outdoors". It's crazy when you hear songs that remind you of Muppets.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Candy by Riyu Kosaka remonds me of Sidebottom. Explosive, wacky energy.

Viva la Vida by Coldplay reminds me of Cantus. Not the words, just the music. I would love to filk that song for him, but I don't have a good hook.