TV Alert: Frank Oz on The Colbert Report November 28

piggyinmanhatte

Reaction score
This was very funny! Best part was Frank Oz's "WHAT?!"

I loved the "taking a bow" banter, the "pork, beans, & laundry" remarks, and how Frank phrased the main concept of puppeteering: "The voice is only 10 percent of it, the rest is 90 percent." Also: Frank's eyes seemed to be narrowing as Colbert mentioned Frank as the "VOICE" of all the Muppets. We all know how much Frank dislikes the voice talk and it seemed like he was going to berate Colbert or something.

PS I wonder what Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Sam the Eagle, Animal, and Cookie Monster would sound like now...he hasn't performed any of them for eight years...he probably still has it in him, since he still performs Grover and Bert on occasion.

Also, Colbert is apparently unaware of the fact that Frank already has a Muppet look-alike: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Frank
He doesn't really look like that Muppet anymore though! :-D
I thought the interview was fab. I'm a huge Colbert fan, and when he ran over to Frank, I could've piddled on the floor I was so darn excited. I think he and Stephen played very well off each other.
I was very stoked to hear him talk, too, because all I heard was Fozzie. :-D

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For the few who are unaware, Frank has an interesting body of directorial work. Here's a list of his films and my relative ranking of them:

Must-See:
The Dark Crystal A+
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels A
The Score A-
Little Shop Of Horrors A-
Death at a Funeral B+
Muppets Take Manhattan B
What About Bob? B-
In & Out C+

Meh:
HouseSitter C
Bowfinger C-

Ones to Avoid:
The Indian in the Cupboard D
The Stepford Wives F
Maybe it's just me, but I'd drop What About Bob? down to the Ones to Avoid category as well. That's just me.

Interestingly, I heard once that Frank DIDN'T want to direct The Indian in the Cupboard, because he wasn't entirely comfortable directing a kids' movie.

jcnegron

Reaction score
Why did they used a Muppet whatnot from FAO Schwartz if there's a guy here in the forums that made an actual Colbert look-a-like?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I guess they didn't know about it.

Who made a Colbert look-alike? I would love to see that!

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Weird, I've always loved Bowfinger. Death at a Funeral is his best film in a long time, though.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone knows this but the Colbert Report episode with Frank Oz is on iTunes for $1.99 just in case anyone here has an ipod or apple product, or itunes and what not. It's probably on Amazon Video on Demand for those Windows users out there. Just in case if nobody found this news out, I figure I put this out here. :smile:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
For not liking the book, I didn't think The Indian in the Cupboard was too bad. As far as What About Bob, I watched it a few months ago after not having seen the whole thing since I was a kid. I had forgotten about the ending. I think it was a great movie- very funny- until the ending, and that's a shame. I blame the writing and not the director.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
For not liking the book, I didn't think The Indian in the Cupboard was too bad. As far as What About Bob, I watched it a few months ago after not having seen the whole thing since I was a kid. I had forgotten about the ending. I think it was a great movie- very funny- until the ending, and that's a shame. I blame the writing and not the director.
Did you know that the therapist's sister who falls in love with Bob is played by Fran Brill?

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Personally I liked What About Bob. But like Death at a Funeral, they require a more dark morbid sense of humor. Like for example Bob is this extremely causious guy and no one ever explains why he bacause that way. He has a pet goldfish in a jelly jar that he turned into a necklace and he goes to see this millionare con-artist therapist who sells him a self help book and Bob thinks that the therapist is such a genuis, he never leaves him alone. And the therapist is in truth a very mean person with a denile family and they end up loving Bob, everybody loves Bob except for the Therapist who wants nothing more but to get rid of him even if it means the most extreme measures. lol It's kind of a dark screwball sort of situation while Death at a Funeral was more dark. The husband who passes and the whole family is there for the funeral and this rather short person was his man's secret life partner and he has pictures to prove it for blackmail so it's up to the man's sons to stop this guy from ruining the funeral while there's some nude guy who thinks he's a bird flapping his arms on top of the roof. lol Like I said, it's kind of dark, defenately darker then The Muppets. Other then that, that's all I've seen of Frank's directing work except for Little Shop of Horrors which I've seen as a kid. I'm not sure, is Frank's other movies similar to these two or do they have more of a different sense? I know that Frank did The Score which I heard was a drama. And I read Frank directed an episode of some drama show in 2011. But yeah, like I mentioned, we all have our opinions and different senses of humor. lol