Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to disagree about Elmo being separate from Clash. Kevin IS Elmo.
As someone who has studied acting, an actor is definitely not a character his/she plays. They can use aspects of their personality to bring a character to life, but the result is an artifical creation, out of context with the actor's entire life. Plus there are always other factors, such as writers, production people, fans, even the time and place of a series.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I have to disagree about Elmo being separate from Clash. Kevin IS Elmo. Sure they can replace him, but when you see behind the scenes footage, see the Being Elmo documentary...to me they are inseperable.
I must say I agree with you. In fact it's something I also pointed out awhile back. The point I was just trying to make was that we shouldn't have to stop liking or watching Elmo the character because of the recent events surrounding Kevin the performer.

beaker

Reaction score
Again, we have a President who routinely slaughters innocents and has in fact ordered the assassination of American teenagers overseas. Yet a lot of the country seems to love him.

We have a guy like Chris Brown who savagely beat mega pop star Rhianna, and his popularity is soaring and somehow she "forgave" him.

We're talking about a guy who out of loneliness took to chat rooms and was connecting with young men...even one of the accusers admitted he WAS NOT forthcoming of his age to Clash. If someone lies about their age, how in the **** is that statutory? That's entrapment to me. Now some of what accuser #3 has alleged is deeply, deeply troubling and I hope its not true.

But...it seems like Sesame Workshop and the JHC are standing by Kevin Clash in their statements. Perhaps that means they know of things we don't?

Michael Vick is a perfect example. I know he did his jail time, etc. but I'm sorry he killed innocent dogs, and he should not be playing football making millions of dollars. He's a horrific person. And that wasn't an "accident" like a drunk driver, he was knowngly training those dogs, doing harm to them. He should be die in a fire.
Drunk driving is only technically an accident. It's the person's choice to get messed up
and get behind a wheel. It's the exact same thing as training attack dogs to be vicious, letting them into a playground then saying "hey, it's not my fault".

Is it just me or has anyone have a bit of trouble with watching Elmo lately on Sesame Street ?:frown:
Ive been having trouble watching Elmo since the 90's. But...I admit that there is something about him which children connect with deeply, and I respect that

IF ANYTHING comes out of this, I hope Clash can go back to work for the Muppets proper :smile:

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Here's something interesting...one of Kevin's former sex partners comes forward...not to sue him, not to accuse him of underage sex...but to defend his character.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...eer-article-1.1209955?localLinksEnabled=false

Ha, I finally realized how old Kevin's daughter is... no wonder I was so confused. The way he told the story at William Patterson, I was thinking she was still little. So this makes much more sense to me now.

Visiting chat rooms and having sex with younger men is not illegal (as long as they aren't minors). To compare him to Sandusky, as one of you did, well, that is ludicrous! We are talking about older teens who sought the interaction of a gay chat room and who lied about their ages in order to participate. I have an older gay friend who routinely 'dates' much younger men (all legal). It's not new and it's not a big deal!

Hubert

Reaction score
I want to clarify that the said user talking about Sandusky was NOT comparing that case to this. We were simply talking about forgiveness issues, and she stated that she doesn't feel that Sandusky should be forgiven. No comparison involved.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, we have a President who routinely slaughters innocents and has in fact ordered the assassination of American teenagers overseas.
The frog?!! When did this go from a thread about the accusations against Kevin to another anti-Obama rant?

And speaking of which, the president has done none of those things, however, if Romney won, yeah, I could see that happening.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
ah any chance I get at being anti-anything I will, and you just have to like it! BTW I'm anti everything except for the Muppets, Chesse, and bubble wrap. So if your not in them three you are out of luck.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have to disagree about Elmo being separate from Clash. Kevin IS Elmo. Sure they can replace him, but when you see behind the scenes footage, see the Being Elmo documentary...to me they are inseperable.

Yes, but I don't think anything Clash may have done comes anywhere near the realm of the Sandusky case. To me the unimaginably amazing and great work Clash has done far outweighs any bad decisions he may have made. I definitely won't let whatever happened or didnt happen cloud my views of him as a person or performer.
I understand what you're saying to an extend about Kevin being Elmo, but if they get the right person, I think Elmo will still be fine. Look at a what an amazing job Eric Jacobson has done with Frank's characters. Is he Frank? No, but he has the characters down spot on, and I think does a wonderful job.

And please don't misconstrue my words, I didnt' say Kevin did anything near what Sandusky did, nor am I saying it would stop me from enjoying his work, but I just don't think I'd feel the same way totally if the accusations were true

Status
Not open for further replies.