Questions about anything

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, I'm betting part of the reason A Bug's Life is pretty much forgotten is because I think around the same time is when DreamWorks came out with Antz, which, as DreamWorks animated movies used to be, was darker and edgier than A Bug's Life (and also had a more A-List cast of voice actors).

Speaking of which, when did DreamWorks decide to tone down their animated movies? I was thinking about it the other day, the first Shrek movie had more swearing, more suggestive humor, more... uh...anatomically... uh... well it almost seems like all of the female characters seemed rather top-heavy, almost all of which has disappeared from the following Shrek movies; likewise, most other DW movies have been rather toned down as well... SharkTale is an exception, obviously, considering it was a parody of adult movies anyway.

robodog

Reaction score
Antz isn't really all that well known either. I see A Bug's Life played on TV way more than I do Antz.
I'm not sure when Dreamworks started to tone down their animated films. Aside from Shrek I didn't really start to like Dreamworks's stuff until Monsters Vs Aliens. I thought Shrek was great but I think the film that came out after Shrek was Shark Tale which was a gigantic turd. I've never seen any of the Madagascar movies but I enjoy the Penguins series. Monsters Vs Aliens was the first time aside from Shrek that I really enjoyed a Dreamworks film. I also loved How To Train Your Dragon which was almost Pixar worthy. Shark Tale may have been the point where they decided to tone it down a bit because I don't think it made as much money as Shrek, nor was it very well recieved. They seemed to have gotten their stuff together after that stinker.

Hubert

Reaction score
I wonder if it could also be the fact that the idea of talking bugs has been way overdone in recent years? Seriously, there's been so many movies, specials, and even a few TV shows that somehow involved talking bugs, whereas talking toys hasn't been done all that much.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I really honestly can't think of any other talking bugs things from around the same time.

I know a number of years later, there was an off-brand CGI movie about ants, I forget what it was called, Ant Bully or something like that, that had "ripoff" written all over it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I don't think it's that people don't like Monsters Inc, but I don't think Monsters Inc gets enough credit as it deserves. Toy Story seems to get too much credit for some reason. It's a great movie, but what about the other ones?
It's hilarious and geniously done. (Monsters Inc) I love how they built up the Monster world and explained why monsters even scare kids in the first place.
It's by far my favorite Pixar movie and I cannot wait to see it and it's prequel in 3D when it comes out.

Hubert

Reaction score
I definitely agree. Monsters, Inc., in my mind, is by far the funniest and best Pixar movie. The whole setup is just so great as to why monsters scare kids. You would think that if most people were to make that movie it would be some kind of club where these rebels who hate kids go and scare them, but rather it's a job in the workforce. Somehow Monsters, Inc. kinda seems to have gotten lost in time.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
It's loved, no doubt, but I just don't think it's loved enough as it should be.
I think the 3D release and Monsters University might help that. :smile:

Hubert

Reaction score
I was just thinking about that while writing my previous post, but that thought somehow got cut out in my thinking process. :stick_out_tongue:

But yeah, I'm thinking that the 3D and prequel will both help light the fire to the MI franchise again.