Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing is, this does bring up why prequels were chosen over sequels. It's not so much the story was bad, it was all the story telling. All the elements were there, just lost due to bad direction. If it was an expanded universe comic or novel, it would have worked better. Bringing back Vader and an aged version of the classic cast (remember what everyone always says when that happens) is nothing more than brand recognition. It's iconic, sure... but something tells me it's going to be "Star Wars episode 6.5: We have to fight Vader Again" instead of a true episode 7 that picks up the series where it should, well after the events of the first series of films. Preferably with all new characters in a well established new government.

Now, it is too early to fully dismiss this film, but if I want to see Luke, Han, and Leia fight Darth Vader again, I'll just watch the original trilogy again. What's an absolute joke is that they vowed that they'll ignore the expanded universe and give us a Star Wars we've never seen before. The old cast and Vader again? That's exactly what we've seen before.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The thing is, this does bring up why prequels were chosen over sequels. It's not so much the story was bad, it was all the story telling. All the elements were there, just lost due to bad direction. If it was an expanded universe comic or novel, it would have worked better. Bringing back Vader and an aged version of the classic cast (remember what everyone always says when that happens) is nothing more than brand recognition. It's iconic, sure... but something tells me it's going to be "Star Wars episode 6.5: We have to fight Vader Again" instead of a true episode 7 that picks up the series where it should, well after the events of the first series of films. Preferably with all new characters in a well established new government.

Now, it is too early to fully dismiss this film, but if I want to see Luke, Han, and Leia fight Darth Vader again, I'll just watch the original trilogy again. What's an absolute joke is that they vowed that they'll ignore the expanded universe and give us a Star Wars we've never seen before. The old cast and Vader again? That's exactly what we've seen before.
I think they're throwing out so much information to confuse us. I just can't draw your stark conclusions from these vague rumors. Commerce and art can coexist. Either way, this film will make a lot of money its opening weekend.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone on Comic Book resources posted an editorial on it... I can't so much say I was at a loss of words, but this guy conveyed what I was thinking better than I could...

And then, the most obvious con: Darth Vader is dead.
Okay, maybe that looks like a cheap shot when put that bluntly, but still: Bringing back Darth Vader undoes the narrative arc of the six movies that already exist – or, at least, the redemptive arc for Anakin Skywalker that runs through at least The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi – by either retconning Vader/Skywalker’s rejection of his servitude in favor of protecting his family (Something that has narrative echoes with Anakin’s ridiculous Sandpeople rampage in Attack of The Clones) and subsequent appearance as a ghost in his Anakin form at the end of Return of The Jedi as… well, something that wasn’t really Darth Vader for whatever reason, or else by bringing the character literally back from the dead as some form of undead boogieman, which just seems to undercut the inherent optimism of the Star Wars series altogether: Even if you do the right thing in the end, you’ll end up staying a bad guy, because… that’s what you were for awhile.
The only way they would be able to not undo the ending of the last movie was to have someone clumsily take on the mantle of Darth Vader, and at best that sounds like a side story, comic book mini-arc, or an episode of a cartoon series. Not a 2 hour movie.

Also, Cracked had some good points and number one is exactly the same as what the CBR editorial said... only 3 years earlier without knowledge that a next one will be made. A sequel done the way Disney wants will either undo the ending of ROTJ, or seem like something tacked on. A mission pack sequel at worst.

Now, I'm not going to say it couldn't be a popcorn movie. It'll probably be enjoyable on some level. Just, you can't expect the same thing to work with the Muppets or characters that never had a massive continuity canon. You can literally make any Muppet movie you can that will have all the classic characters But if you're talking about a movie that had a coherent optimistic ending back in 1983, reintroducing long dead characters who redeemed themselves to have a double turn back... that's going to do some serious story damage. Among other things, C3-PO and R2-D2 walked off into the sunset, essentially leaving the main cast behind, to find another adventure... why not pick it up from there?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hope it is. brand recognition is one thing, but the story should start out fresh, with C3-PO and R2-D2 continuing on their journey. I'd want to see a current Darth Vader as much as I'd want to see a film about Jaxxon.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think we all an can agree that a Max Reebo film would be the best step.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.