Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This smacks of the same sensationalism that has caused Mr. Clash to feel the need to resign. Whether the fast-paced information frenzy of life leads to people jumping to that kind of conclusion, and the media feeds off of that, or instead we are led to fear such things *by* the media, I don't know. I only know that we must step back and look at this realistically.
Whatever Kevin did, let's put it into perspective. A shameful thing that happened in his private life is bad, but sensationalistic loudmouth tabloid shows for absolute idiots are making money off of the suffering of everyone involved. I can't believe people are actually defending TMZ. Watch an episode. Would you like those words with mustard or ketchup? It's sensationalism that destroys celebrities lives, but also stalks innocent ones until they say or do something objectionable and run it in slow mo and edit it down in a way to make them look like monsters. All with cartoon boings and fart sound effects. Classy.

Yes, there are some people who can't tell a performer from a character. These tend to be the same types who don't understand that except for one episode of M*A*S*H I recall, no TV show actually takes place in 30 minutes' time. The problems solved on sitcoms are solved the same day sometimes, mroe often the next day or within a few, sometimes an episode takes place over weeks. To someone who is able to watch TV with any kind of discerning eye, they can tell that.
Here's the thing that scares me. Some idiot isn't going to see that the character is recast. And that idiot will find a bunch of other idiots online and try to besmirch Sesame Workshop. Especially since the media doesn't want to distinguish creepy and inappropriate relationships with younger men of consent and child molester. Kevin is first and foremost an actor. He plays a 3 year old for 3 year olds, and now someone else has to. They'll probably do a good job, but it just won't be the same no matter how we look at it, especially since there's a huge asterisk we won't be able to unsee. But that's us as a collective group that's privy to behind the scenes stuff. The general public isn't that smart by and large.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
If we, as Muppet Freaks, are taking this badly, and as others have pointed out, Tau Bennett is probably taking this hard as well, considering Kevin is his mentor and all, but there's someone else we kind of have to wonder about: how do you think Kevin's daughter Shannon is taking all of this?
I said this same thing in the last go round of the accusations.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Elmo's not going anywhere. There've been other puppeteers Kevin trained for the role.
Exactly, I'm less worried about the future of Elmo than the future of Sesame Workshop, and what the whole cast and crew and Kevin's family is going through right now. I know I personally thought Kermit was going to disappear when Jim passed, and of course they had Steve who took over beautifully. I'm sure they have plans in case anything happens to the performers. I'm curious to see how Sesame Workshop is going to fill the shoes of the 20 other jobs Kevin was responsible for.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly, I'm less worried about the future of Elmo than the future of Sesame Workshop, and what the whole cast and crew and Kevin's family is going through right now.

Well, Elmo is Sesame Workshop at this point. A lot of us are worried because of the private actions of one guy, albeit an influential one, Sesame Workshop will have a tarnished reputation and will have to jump through a lot of PR hoops to get back to near normal.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well, Elmo is Sesame Workshop at this point. A lot of us are worried because of the private actions of one guy, albeit an influential one, Sesame Workshop will have a tarnished reputation and will have to jump through a lot of PR hoops to get back to near normal.
Thats not really true Sesame has been doing a really good job as of late showcasing a lot of there classic Muppets in some great bits. I think Grover has really came out more in recent years Due mostly to the talented Eric Jackaboson, but it's been great.

Now Elmo dose make a lot of tv apperances, like Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. These are what I'm going to miss becuase Elmo and Kevin are going to be a little more free. I just hope that sometime in the future we will see Elmo back on Fallon and still be the same funny little red Monster that everyone loves.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't imagine he'll be working on properties that are aimed specifically for children for awhile but will still probably continue with family friendly all-ages projects (i.e. the difference between working on something like Pajanimals vs. The Classic Muppets).
I'd been thinking maybe he could become involved with Puppet Up.

MWoO

Reaction score
I think we will see Elmo removed from the show. The general public wont understand that the role is recast, if they can even recast it. Kevin is a master of puppetry. Elmo is more than a voice and a puppet. Kevin made him the little red menace we all hate to love or love to hate. Us we are already seeing the removal of Elmo from some toy commercials. There is a Cookie Monster kitchen toy that features Elmo's face in a window with Abby behind it. Now the commercial has Elmo's panel slid in with the briefest mention of Elmo I've ever seen. It will be all about Abby for awhile, then the audience will be replaced in a couple years and kids will never even know who Elmo was.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I'm officially welcoming the end of the world.

Please note: This isn't about defending or condeming Kevin.

I saw the story break over on IMDB and, even though I knew it was a bad idea, couldn't bring myself to not look. In the comments section under the article, there were people cracking tasteless jokes and laughing (that's right LAUGHING) over what they only saw as the end of Elmo. They didn't care that either a serious wrong has been committed, or a man's career has been ruined by lies and exaggerations.

I read it last night and still feel like I'm about to throw up.

MWoO

Reaction score
Also as much as I admire Kevin's talent, I don't see how people on here are able to look past what he's done. Having a relationship with 15 and 16 year old teenagers? This isn't a matter of his personal life it's a matter of breaking the law and taking advantage of kids. The idea that someone who does such great things for charities and for children would then take advantage of them makes lose a great deal of respect for him. No one can tell me that a 16 year old is old enough to understand and have a relationship with a man in their 40s. Male or female I don't care. If this scandal was just about Kevin Clash being gay I would be on his side 100% but its not.

I honestly do not think Kevin intended to hurt anyone or do anything wrong. I honestly think that he cared about those with which he had a relationship. I also think that's the main problem. He didn't think it was wrong. There are now 2 allegations. Kevin has resigned which to me says he wants to end this before more people come forward. It's a terrible thing that has happened here but sadly Kevin brought it on himself. I will miss him as a performer greatly.

TheMonsterAteMe

Reaction score
Also as much as I admire Kevin's talent, I don't see how people on here are able to look past what he's done. Having a relationship with 15 and 16 year old teenagers? This isn't a matter of his personal life it's a matter of breaking the law and taking advantage of kids. The idea that someone who does such great things for charities and for children would then take advantage of them makes lose a great deal of respect for him. No one can tell me that a 16 year old is old enough to understand and have a relationship with a man in their 40s. Male or female I don't care. If this scandal was just about Kevin Clash being gay I would be on his side 100% but its not.

I honestly do not think Kevin intended to hurt anyone or do anything wrong. I honestly think that he cared about those with which he had a relationship. I also think that's the main problem. He didn't think it was wrong. There are now 2 allegations..
Where's your evidence? Hmmm? What proof do you have? Has any proof been presented?

The answer to those questions: There is no evidence. You have no proof. And they have no proof.

Please stop acting like he did this when no proof has been presented. You have no freaking clue about what went on. Neither do we.

We don't need you to be Muppet Centrals personal TMZ

Status
Not open for further replies.