When you need to rant...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The internet has its fair share of this kind of thing, though the examples I used in my previous rant are, indeed, real world examples.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm not saying they're not...just that I have not experienced it first hand in life...but then again...considering where I live...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*Sigh* If only we could take some hints from Canada, they have virtually no tension between two different groups like these... no racial tension, no sexuality tension, no religious tension, etc.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
1. Prayer in school has been banned (pre-1962, it used to be mandatory)
As they say, as long as there are tests, there is prayer in schools, LOL. As a Christian, however, while I can be sympathetic, the fact remains that many Christians themselves will ban prayer in a heartbeat as soon as the Wiccans, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists join in on the fun.
Pray in religious schools. Pray in church. Pray in your yard. Pray in your bedroom.
School (secular ones, anyway) shouldn't focus on that. People love to gripe how awful public school teachers are ... do you want someone who can't even email or spell her name on the blackboard teach the finer points of trinitarianism?
2. Courtrooms are prohibited from displaying the 10 Commandments, or any other similar religious-based documents.
That one does seem silly, due to the idea supposedly was chronicling the history of law.
3. Public places and public transportation are prohibited from playing Christian rock and/or gospel music.
I'm not a big fan of that kind of music. Seems a bit Eric Cartman-esque to me (see the episode where he forms Faith+1). I realize that "classical" hymns were simply the Christian rock of their day, but there's only so much "I love Jesus" stuff I can take before wanting to throw up.
To be fair, I can't stand the "I wanna screw my hoes" stuff neither. There should be a happy medium in there somewhere.
Do instrumentals. No lyrics ... no room to complain. :smile:
1. They keep trying to have "In God We Trust" removed from currency.
It's kinda sacriligious, though.
2. They keep trying to have "Under God" removed from the Pledge of Alligence.
It's not original to the piece. Only the Red Scare is why we have it in the first place. Again, Christianity should have enough integrity in its faith that it doesn't have to ape Eric Cartman and just copy/paste God into everything to make it sound more pious than it was.
4. As I pointed out earlier, all of Wisconsin has been bullying East Tennessee to remove religion from our area.
Tennessee (and I'm from there) should tell WI to mind its own dang business.
*cough*Jehovah'sWitnesses*cough*
I've had more run-ins with Baptists than JW's or Mormons, and I even have some of those in my family tree.
I say we celebrate Fridge Day instead. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Tennessee (and I'm from there) should tell WI to mind its own dang business.
And now, I'm inclined to ask, what part of our great state do you hail from?

But yeah, why is religion in TN ANY of WI's business? Like I said, what did we ever do to them to make them single us out like this? I know a lot of people from WI like to retire down here, did they start writing or phoning loved ones back home, "So, I really like the state of Tennessee, but these people are so dang religious it makes me sick!"

Again, the religious have their rights, and the irreligious have their rights, I don't think it's right that one side continuously try to revoke the rights the other side has, simply because they don't agree with them on certain subjects.

And again, it begs the question that both Sarge and I have asked at this point: why do these people obsess and make a big fuss over God when they don't believe He exists? If they don't believe in Him, why waste so much energy and time whining about Him? I don't believe in, say, reincarnation, but I don't go around ragging on people who say things like, "I want to come back in my next life as a dog", or "I'm certain I was Jim Morrison in my previous life", things like that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Again, the religious have their rights, and the irreligious have their rights
Well the irreligious are still very much a fringe group and in many ways under represented. In some states an atheist can't run for office and can't be in the Boy Scouts, for instance. And that's not right, in my opinion.

As far as things like nativity scenes, my area has never had this problem. All our nativity scenes are on church grounds. In fact I'd never even considered religious images being in public places until I saw stories like this on the news!

why do these people obsess and make a big fuss over God when they don't believe He exists?
Some atheists feel religion is a sign of primitive thinking and a lack of progress.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some atheists feel religion is a sign of primitive thinking and a lack of progress.
That almost seems like how Bill Nye the Science Guy recently did a YouTube video telling parents they need to teach their kids about evolution, because if not, the future of engineering is doomed.

How exactly are evolution and engineering linked? I rully don't see the connection.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That almost seems like how Bill Nye the Science Guy recently did a YouTube video telling parents they need to teach their kids about evolution, because if not, the future of engineering is doomed.

How exactly are evolution and engineering linked? I rully don't see the connection.
He was talking about science education in general. That we have problems in this country with our educational system and turning kids away from science won't help matters.

Vincent L

Reaction score
I'm SO hating my substitute English teacher. She has NO idea what she's doing, has bad handwriting, and is VERY boring.