Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
78 days since Oogust 29 and still no news about a DVD release. Let that speak volumes about this movie's quality and how it was received.
Bomb movies usually get a DVD release a couple months later. Heck, even hit movies get one too soon these days. I'm sure it will either plop to DVD with little fan fare or once they have a date, they'll spend even more money saying "The movie you didn't want to see in theaters is now available on a DVD you'll never even bother to rent." Though, what the film was going for would definitely work better on DVD.

-------------
Aaaaand so the tweens don't feel left out of this thread...

Yesterday Rifftrax retweeted this wise sentiment:
For those of you being dragged by your significant other to the Twilight Marathon remember there's always @RiffTrax to help you.
--------------
If Rifftrax doesn't do one for Oogieloves... SHAME on them. Seriously... once it hits DVD, they need to go after it, even if it does help DVD sales. That's the ONLY thing the movie is good for.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Bomb movies usually get a DVD release a couple months later. Heck, even hit movies get one too soon these days. I'm sure it will either plop to DVD with little fan fare or once they have a date, they'll spend even more money saying "The movie you didn't want to see in theaters is now available on a DVD you'll never even bother to rent." Though, what the film was going for would definitely work better on DVD.
I know that Elmo in Grouchland was rushed to video a few months after it came out in theaters. Who knows how well it did after that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know that Elmo in Grouchland was rushed to video a few months after it came out in theaters. Who knows how well it did after that.
It seems to have gone to the 5 dollar bin really fast, but that's where it found its audience. So, I hate to say this, there could be hope for this piece of garbage yet... except Elmo's actually well known and parents will automatically buy up anything with Elmo on it. I swear that's the warning label they wanted to put on the Old School DVD's. "Contains no Elmo, so don't go complaining on amazon."

Still, even as a DTV release, I'd see Oogieloves barely getting the attention of one of the crappy mockbusters on a Red Box.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I recall reading in a book somewhere that it sold really well, one of the biggest-selling children's video releases of the late 90s-early 2000s. Given though that it was a massive box-office bomb and isn't handled by Sesame Workshop, it's inevitable it would hit the $5 bin though.

robodog

Reaction score
The difference between Elmo and Oogieloves is simple. Elmo is a fairly likeable character. Oogieloves look like something out of a nightmare. Oogieloves may make a little money back on DVD, but it will never find an audience the way Elmo in Grouchland did. Elmo fans exist. I can't see Oogieloves ever developing any kind of fan base.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The difference between Elmo and Oogieloves is simple. Elmo is a fairly likeable character. Oogieloves look like something out of a nightmare. Oogieloves may make a little money back on DVD, but it will never find an audience the way Elmo in Grouchland did. Elmo fans exist. I can't see Oogieloves ever developing any kind of fan base.
Elmo is also established. As I've said before, Oogieloves was to have it's big debut as a movie, rather than a TV show. On the one hand, it was probably easier to sell the movie under an independent production company than to sell it to a network or PBS. It's a gamble that didn't pay off. The movie would have been used to sell a TV series, and since no one saw it, I'm sure networks and PBS will want to stay far far away. Only thing he can do now is to make DTV projects with the characters and hope it finds an audience.

I recall reading in a book somewhere that it sold really well, one of the biggest-selling children's video releases of the late 90s-early 2000s. Given though that it was a massive box-office bomb and isn't handled by Sesame Workshop, it's inevitable it would hit the $5 bin though.
I swear to God, I'm going to break this Caps lock button off... Anyway that confirms what I've been saying about Sesame Street DVD's,... parents will buy anything with Elmo on it, and EIG would have been a smash hit had it just been a DTV project. But as a theatrical release? Preschool movies never do well, and that's the example.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I recall reading in a book somewhere that it sold really well, one of the biggest-selling children's video releases of the late 90s-early 2000s.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Barney's Great Adventure made similar progress.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Every time their PSA spots aired on CN, I did my best to search for the mute button on my remote; if that didn't work, I found myself faced with other alternatives: either change the channel, or cover my ears.

Strange, but the emblem on the purple kid's shirt slightly resembles the Hardee's / Carl's Jr. Famous Star logo....

mimitchi33

Reaction score
When I first saw the poster for this (after seeing Madagascar 3), I thought it was cute and I wanted to see it, and I thought it was based on some toys or something. But then my mom found out it was a preschool movie, and I was like "Nah, forget about it!"
For anyone wondering about the DVD release, I just saw an ad for Paranorman (a movie released around the same time as Oogieloves on DVD) on last night's broadcast of A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, so expect the Oogieloves to come onto DVD soon.
If those are you are planning to stay in a hotel like Lowes Hotels or the Hilton family of hotels, Oogieloves also might be on LodgeNet now. I'm not sure on this, as their website only lists movies like Ted and The Dark Knight Rises, and no kids movies are listed, either!
I've also read on Entertainment Weekly's website that there's going to be two sequels (The Oogieloves in the Big Family Adventure and The Oogieloves in the Big Holiday Adventures), but Kenn Viselman isn't sure if he should release them straight to theaters or on DVD, they plan on making toys for The Big Family Adventure, and they're making an Oogieloves TV series that will air in 2014!
I also have two more Oogieloves reviews that nobody else mentioned. Both are kinda funny.
This first one is a series of live tweets about the movie by Jim Cantiello:
http://jambajim.tumblr.com/post/31728621774/on-wednesday-i-set-out-to-experience-one-of-the
And the second is by Jen Chaney of The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...83f5dbc-f78a-11e1-8b93-c4f4ab1c8d13_blog.html
Strange, but the emblem on the purple kid's shirt slightly resembles the Hardee's / Carl's Jr. Famous Star logo....
I agree! The stars almost look the same!

robodog

Reaction score
Oh dear God, no. I hate that they're making toys of these things. Now every time I go to buy Furbys or Ninja Turtles I'm going to have to look at those creepy things in the toy aisles. This is just as bad as when they had Boo Bahs and Poo-Chi robot dogs in the same aisle ten years ago. Every time I went to buy a Poo-Chi those godawful Boo Bahs toys started singing at me.
What even makes them think Oogieloves toys will sell? The movie was a huge flop. The creators really need to take the hint and stop trying to shove those monstrosities down people's throats. And as for a series? What network would even take an Oogieloves series after the movie crashed and burned?