Live-hand puppet building transition

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my next puppet-building project is going to be a live-hand Mokey Fraggle :dreamy: (I need to make another original character, but the Fraggles are calling to me...!)

Anyway. So my question here is how to best go about freelancing a live-hand puppet. I don't have the money to get supplies plus the patterns I know of on the internet, and I am pret-ty sure that creating a bigger Fraggle than the other two (I have built a Red and a Boober) I already have and then stickin' on some glovey arms/hands isn't exactly what I should be doing. Or maybe it is. I don't know.

And that is where you lovely folks come in :smile: Thanks for your help in advance!

kumakami

Reaction score
there are two main ways to do it. The first (as seen in Fozzie, and the swetish chef) the Body and hands are a connected looking thing, like a large sack with mittons attached. the other method used looks like a normal rod had puppet but when you reach just before the wrist there is a extention (like a elbow length glove), the puppet, when looked at full, seems to hand 2 arms (1 coming off the puppet and the "glove" coming from the puppeter) that both connect at the wrist to a hand.

hope that helped a bit

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
It certainly does, thanks :smile: I have definitely noticed this. Mokey's totally one of the latter ones, even though this fact is hidden by her robe thing. I think I will *gulp* try to wing it with the creation of her glove-hand...perhaps just kind of experiment with the attachment of those to the stick arms. I just fear the transition from the rod arm to the gloved hand will be too obvious! Ah well. :smile: Never know till I try.

Animal31

Reaction score
there are two main ways to do it. The first (as seen in Fozzie, and the swetish chef) the Body and hands are a connected looking thing, like a large sack with mittons attached. the other method used looks like a normal rod had puppet but when you reach just before the wrist there is a extention (like a elbow length glove), the puppet, when looked at full, seems to hand 2 arms (1 coming off the puppet and the "glove" coming from the puppeter) that both connect at the wrist to a hand.

hope that helped a bit
Fozzie isn't a sack design, he's a regular body like Ernie with the gloved arms attached like in your second method. Rowlf or Cookie are the sack design. I would definitely just make a regular puppet and attach the arms to the gloves as suggested...

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Thanks there! I actually thought that Fozzie was sack design too, though I haven't taken a close gander at Fozzie in a longer time than the Sesame Street guys. Thanks for the advice :big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Have a look at this diagram, it might help (if you haven't already seen it):