Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I loved WIR! But I missed the Sesame Street reference. Could someone message me to let me know what I missed?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
SPOILERS (highlight to read):

When King Candy was browsing through the game code for Ralph's medel, he says "One of these things is not like the others".

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Yeah, now I remember that. Didn't really pay attention to it at first.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
GREAT NEWS!! According To BoxOfficeMojo
There's Gennedy's Popeye That Has Been Slated For 9/26/14
And Also A Hotel Transylvania Sequel Is Slated For 9/25/15, Which Will Likely Also Be Directed By Gennedy
Now If Only We Can Get A Q*Bert Movie :smile: After All Sony*Columbia Do Own The Property :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
GREAT NEWS!! According To BoxOfficeMojo
There's Gennedy's Popeye That Has Been Slated For 9/26/14
And Also A Hotel Transylvania Sequel Is Slated For 9/25/15, Which Will Likely Also Be Directed By Gennedy
I hope the second Hotel is better. I've been saying this all thread, but Gennedy needs to call in his former Dexter's Lab/Samurai Jack/Symbiotic Titan writers in there. I liked Hotel, but the writing was all over the place, and it seemed like something Adam Sandler used as an ego piece (yet it's the best movie he's made in years).

I hope the Popeye one is good, and not a series of sarcastic Lampshade hanging (The Smurfs writers are attached). I can't imagine what they can do to improve the property as a film over Robert Altman's classic that in no way deserves the hate it got. Robin Williams was so in character, you forget that he's the same bombastic comedian that switches from topic to topic and voice to voice at the drop of a dime. I hope they don't shove a bunch of not sounding like the characters celebrities as the voices (seriously... in the other movie, Shelly Duvall was perfect casting because she is Olive Oyl in every sense of the character). And above all, they better the heck have read Thimble Theater. I don't want some lame parody of the Flanderized "Bluto tries to get sexually aggressive with Olive Oyl, and Popeye eats Spinach and beats him up" story. I wanna see Wimpy, Jeep, Alice the Goon, The Geezel, Castor Oyl, Ham Gravy, and O.G. Wottasnozzle.

Now If Only We Can Get A Q*Bert Movie :smile: After All Sony*Columbia Do Own The Property :wink:
If we get a Wreck it Ralph 2, that's as close as we'll get.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I loved the Sesame reference in Wreck-It-Ralph, but for obvious Spoiler reasons, I won't post it over here. Thanks Oscarfan for letting me know that there was one. I might have missed it if not. (Eh..probably not.)

Did anyone see the Muppet reference in Argo? It's actually said, but I'll let the sentance be a surprise for you all. :wink:

If we get a Wreck it Ralph 2, that's as close as we'll get.
Somehow, I see that one coming. Although I really don't think there should be.

Wreck-It-Ralph was a enjoyable movie, (I guess) but it didn't live up to what it should have. There was so much potential to the movie, and they just went and messed it up. If you ask me, they should have consulted Pixar a little more. The film was almost Pixar like, with the whole video game universe that they created.

It's actually a very violent movie, much more than I was expecting. I'm quite concerned about younger kids going to see this film. (It's rated for mild violence)

I didn't like all the toilet humor that Vanellope delivers. Not funny guys. Not funny at all. Not any good voice talents in the movie either. The beginning of the movie sets the stage for a very exciting movie. The entire middle is really a big mess. The end is also kinda sloppy.
In my opinion, a waste of eight bucks, and the biggest movie disappointment I had in a while.

I missed a bit of Paperman, but for the parts that I was there, It was fantastic. Amazing, just for that the money was kinda worth it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're open to your review (you're probably the only one that didn't like it, though), but there's three points I want to make.

It's actually a very violent movie, much more than I was expecting. I'm quite concerned about younger kids going to see this film. (It's rated for mild violence)
Heed the PG. This is the problem I have with PG movies being G movies with 'tude. There was NO way that Madagascar 3 should have been rated PG. The movie, while enjoyable and possibly the best since the first, really seemed for the little kids, and they got the most enjoyment out of it. There was nothing violent, dark, or even rude about it. They even toned down the language when they sang (and I quote) "New York, New York, it's a heck of a town." Meanwhile, Paranorman rightfully got a PG rating for the subject matter and adult jokes. WIR's violence was cartoony enough, with the exception of the Halo parody. Nothing worse than what you'd see on a standard TV Y7 cartoon.

I didn't like all the toilet humor that Vanellope delivers. Not funny guys. Not funny at all.
Except that it's perfectly in character for an immature child to have immature humor. She's clearly trying to push Ralph's buttons in that scene, and that's what kids resort to when they want to push your buttons. Immature teasing is immature, so expecting Fraisier like dialog out of a character that's a 7 or 8 year old girl character is a tad unrealistic.

Not any good voice talents in the movie either.
That one I just can't abide, sorry... the voice cast was pitch perfect and avoided major celebrities on a Dreamworks level. They even looked like their respective actors, that's how fitting they were. I couldn't imagine a more perfect cast. They disappeared into the roles and remained recognizable (let's see Jim Carrey's Horton of Horton hears a Who do that. They could have got Matt Frewer for a fraction of the price). Maurice LaMarche was the Tapper Bar tender, and he's one of the finest voice actors out there. I think they even got the current Sonic VA (or a close facsimile) to voice Sonic.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I agree. Some folks should stick to G films and that's okay. Just don't take away my PG-plus humor. :embarrassed:

Personally, I fount Ralph to be about a C+. I liked it, but it wasn't quite as good as I had expected.