What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I saw the Elvis Elves segment at a Jim Henson exhibit at the art museum back in 2005... it cracked me up to be perfectly honest... I haven't seen any of the other segments from it, so I can't really judge it as a whole, but that one certainly cracked me up.
The Elvis Elves was probably the funniest bit in the entire video. Definitely a favorite segment of mine.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It helped too that just before that, they played the Tony Bennett episode of MT.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Also a TV special. And I wouldn't exactly put that in the official Muppet category. Yes, the characters are Henson creations, yes they were performed by the familiar performers, and yes Rowlf appears, but I think Dog City (and a few other specials, like Tale of a Bunny Picnic, Christmas Toy, Song of the Cloud Forest, and Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas) should be considered stand-alone specials.
Not only a TV special, but it also inspired the spin-off series of the same name, which ran on Fox Kids from Sept. 1992 to Jan. 1995.

http://www.muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Dog_City_(series)

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I feel bad for calling some Muppet movies the worst I've seen, but these are ones I never want to watch again, The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, both these movies are far too modern for me, that's not the Muppets at all! I don't really care for Kermit's Swamp Years or Muppets from Space either.

I actually like Muppet Classic Theater. It's not the best Muppet movie, but it's good enough to watch.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Muppets From Space is hands-down the worst Muppet film ever made. Truly terrible. The ingreedients are all there yet they go the most dull and hackneyed path possible. I'd be okay if they pretended it didn't happen and just shot Juhl's script sometime in the future.

The worst non-theatrical Muppet movie is Kermit's Swamp Years. It's a watered-down rehash with little charm or humor for those over 5-years old. This is what would happen to the Muppets if purchased by the Barney/Oogieloves people. It's not that bad, but close. Like MFS, this film broke my heart.

I liked The Muppets. I was a little disappointed at first, but it quickly grew on me. It was less of a film and more of a movement. And Walter was wonderful!

I prefer TMM and GMC as the two best Muppet films ever. I feel MTM and MCC are a little overrated. I just don't get lost in the worlds of these movies like I do the first two. MTI was a fun romp. It's kind of the median-Muppet film IMHO.

I guess Muppet love is often a generational thing.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I actually like Muppet Classic Theater. It's not the best Muppet movie, but it's good enough to watch.
I agree. Muppet Classic Theater wasn't the best Muppet Movie, but I still enjoyed it. (I was 5 the first time I watched it and it has a special place in my heart as the first Muppet-related thing, other than Sesame Street, that I ever watched).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Muppets From Space is hands-down the worst Muppet film ever made. Truly terrible. The ingreedients are all there yet they go the most dull and hackneyed path possible. I'd be okay if they pretended it didn't happen and just shot Juhl's script sometime in the future.
MFS is a exercise in carelessness. The director was a hack, no one liked filming it, and when the biggest star you have in the film is Rob Schneider... RUN! I could turn this into a 5 page discussion on just how his inclusion was bad for the film. I agree with South Park on Rob Schneider. Derp de derp de teedly tum.

I wish they filmed, at the very least, all the stuff Joey wrote. Just for a Donner cut of the film. I really hope a script gets leaked one of these days.

Yet, I'm loathed to loathe it. There were parts of the film that genuinely worked. Mostly between Jeffery Tambor and Bobo. The sequence with the rats and the one with Van Neuter are the highlights of the film. It's just everything besides those moments, the opening, and Gonzo's party, everything was a lost opportunity. Gonzo, Rizzo, and the new characters were in pretty good form, Kermit, Piggy, and a Flanderized stupid Fozzie seemed there for the pay check and zombied their way through. And where the heck are the other Muppets from between the opening to the party, and then the rest of the film? MFS had the potential to be a decent movie at best, but too many lost opportunities, especially ones forcibly thrown away for house painting and mail checking.

The worst non-theatrical Muppet movie is Kermit's Swamp Years. It's a watered-down rehash with little charm or humor for those over 5-years old. This is what would happen to the Muppets if purchased by the Barney/Oogieloves people. It's not that bad, but close. Like MFS, this film broke my heart.
I dunno... I didn't see it yet, but MWOz's ugly jadedness seems almost worse than sugary sweetness. LTS, I quite enjoyed, but it did taste a little saccharine (Postal workers singing "We're Delivering Dreams?" I need insulin). But enjoyable overall (even though it screamed "rushed"). But MWO represented ALL that is wrong with the media. The whole special revolved around an ersatz American Idol show. No matter what, that was the lowest point in a Muppet film, perhaps their history. But that does explain Fox's hand in the film. I bet they intended on airing it on Fox with American Idol really being mentioned, and the judges playing themselves. Even though VMX is rife with NBC promos (anything done by Universal NBC has to at least plug everything in sight... look at Get him to the Greek's random references to Biggest Loser), they didn't make the show look like the hero of the movie.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
MFS is a exercise in carelessness. The director was a hack, no one liked filming it, and when the biggest star you have in the film is Rob Schneider... RUN! I could turn this into a 5 page discussion on just how his inclusion was bad for the film. I agree with South Park on Rob Schneider. Derp de derp de teedly tum.

I wish they filmed, at the very least, all the stuff Joey wrote. Just for a Donner cut of the film. I really hope a script gets leaked one of these days.

Yet, I'm loathed to loathe it. There were parts of the film that genuinely worked. Mostly between Jeffery Tambor and Bobo. The sequence with the rats and the one with Van Neuter are the highlights of the film. It's just everything besides those moments, the opening, and Gonzo's party, everything was a lost opportunity. Gonzo, Rizzo, and the new characters were in pretty good form, Kermit, Piggy, and a Flanderized stupid Fozzie seemed there for the pay check and zombied their way through. And where the heck are the other Muppets from between the opening to the party, and then the rest of the film? MFS had the potential to be a decent movie at best, but too many lost opportunities, especially ones forcibly thrown away for house painting and mail checking.

I dunno... I didn't see it yet, but MWOz's ugly jadedness seems almost worse than sugary sweetness. LTS, I quite enjoyed, but it did taste a little saccharine (Postal workers singing "We're Delivering Dreams?" I need insulin). But enjoyable overall (even though it screamed "rushed"). But MWO represented ALL that is wrong with the media. The whole special revolved around an ersatz American Idol show. No matter what, that was the lowest point in a Muppet film, perhaps their history. But that does explain Fox's hand in the film. I bet they intended on airing it on Fox with American Idol really being mentioned, and the judges playing themselves. Even though VMX is rife with NBC promos (anything done by Universal NBC has to at least plug everything in sight... look at Get him to the Greek's random references to Biggest Loser), they didn't make the show look like the hero of the movie.
Every reason that I love the Muppets is obliterated by KSY. The puppeteering was good of course, and there was one nice little musical sequence, but the same could be said about Muppets Wizard of Oz. KSY makes that look like a masterpiece.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're both two lowest common denominators. One for children's entertainment, the other for family entertainment. I have yet to see KSY yet have heard horrible things. MWoz tried to be VMX and failed. While VMX is dated in its style of humor, it was lightning in a bottle. MWO tried to be edgy, but came out depressing. But you got to wonder. How bad were the other scripts that were floating around at that time for them to just do another classic retelling?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
While VMX is dated in its style of humor, it was lightning in a bottle. MWO tried to be edgy, but came out depressing.
See, I find that to be the other way around, but, to each their own, I guess.

As far as KSY goes, since you haven't seen it yet, let me be the first to tell you that, seriously, it's nowhere near as bad as everybody in this thread has been making it out to be, it's actually the better of the TV movies.