Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

beaker

Reaction score
This needs to have a new director. NOT be a sequel. Have a more low key aesthetic style(ie: not so ABC/Disney family movie gloss look) like the original or an indie film,
and be done right. Are they truly going to make this in time for holiday 2013?
Where's the pre production? Wheres the movement on this? Somehow I doubt it.

My dream would be to have a new Muppet film in 2015 to coincide with the new Star Wars and Avengers...TRIPLE DISNEY WHAMMY!

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was never meant to be a sequel, and we all know it. The crew always wanted the second movie to be a free floating film. Disney probably has to make it a sequel title for brand reasons.

As for directing... name one director that hasn't blown his crap, and we'll talk. Bobin's the only reason we had Uncle Deadly in the film, and the movie's look can be forgiven since this was someone's first time not directing a TV show. The last director who did that didn't know what the heck he was doing and didn't care about the brand. Bobin does. He'll have a much better go the second time out. Getting Brian Henson is out and so isn't Frank Oz. Disney would probably go with a Kiddy director, and those are the WORST film directors out there. I'd rather Bobin than Tim Hill or whoever directed the Night at the Museum movies (the latter is clearly going to do the Sesame Street movie).

Hubert

Reaction score
I basically always just brushed this sequel talk off like a grain of salt...it's pretty obvious that it isn't going to really be a sequel, if anything Disney is announcing it that way just because they feel like the two movies are too close together for the public to actually believe in and go to to separate movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unless Muppets 2 is the working title. I really hope it stays a working title. There has never been a Muppets 2 or anything. Bobin and Stoller know that. But if it's for brand recognition, it's brand recognition and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'd rather see a title that says something to the extent of "The Muppets:[whatever the movie is about]"

But this was never going to be a direct sequel. They clearly want a film similar to GMC, though whatever the extent is, that's to be revealed.

Hubert

Reaction score
Something just dawned on me: I always call this past movie "the new movie" just for the sake of no recognizable name...what am I gonna do as this movie enters production? :stick_out_tongue:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'm still saying we won't see this released in 2013. I'm thinking February 2014 at the earliest. Probably right around Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend.

beaker

Reaction score
Looks like it WILL be out in late 2013. Filming begins in January
http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2012/11/news-update-november-1-2012.html

Finally, in huge news, we have our first bit of information regarding the upcoming production of the newest Muppet movie! First and foremost, we can confirm, thanks to two extremely reliable sources, that the next Muppet film will begin filming in January!! We've also learned that The Muppets director James Bobin is confirmed to return to direct the next feature. This has been assumed for awhile, as Bobin co-wrote the script for the next film with The Muppets co-writer Nicholas Stoller. This news is monumental, as it tells us the script is done, Disney has signed off on it, and the casting process has begun.
I just hope it returns to a more realistic format. Way too much surrealism, fantastical, fourth wall breaking abuse. Yeah I know its the Muppets, but there really wasnt too many outlandish things(cept Animal becoming massive) that was in the original films.
If Segal being outmeans it will get a more laid back realism approach, I'm all for it.

I just hope it doesn't have the same Disney family movie look to it this time around.

Also, for some reason I felt more magic in this blu ray extra than I did for a lot of the film, which to me is more like