Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
If anyone here is worried that Disney will mess up Star Wars, Don't be!
Disney bought Marvel and didn't mess them up, actually, they created better movies than Marvel was releasing before they were bought (Ok, with the exception of Iron Man 2)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Avengers is the only movie so far done completely under Disney, even though they had the Paramount Logo in the film for some reason. But I wouldn't give all the credit to Disney for making that film what it was. It was Joss Whedon that made the film exceptional. In fact, the only reason why we had Amazing Spider-Man was because if Sony didn't make a film before the license expired, the rights to Spider-Man films would have gone to Disney. So far, Fox still owns quite a few of the licenses to make films based on X-Men and presumably Fantastic Four. I think the license expired for Daredevil, though.

Not to mention the new cartoon series are all really produced by Film Roman.

Disney is NOT stupid enough to screw up Star Wars or Marvel. It's not like the cartoons that they own because they bought the Family Channel. People would actually notice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just wondering. Anyone out there that just don't feel Disney's going to ruin Star Wars because Lucas already did?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Clone Wars has gotten much better (so I'm told). They've even devoted episodes to salvaging Jar Jar Binks as a character. Not even Lucas himself did that. I can't say I like the look in CGI, but after that rocky pilot movie, the show found its direction and has become far superior to the prequels. So I'm told. I have to start watching those more. But as I always say, instead of just pasting CGI on top of live action, make the whole thing CGI.

But as for a 7th movie, I don't think we really need it. That's kinda why the film series went backwards instead of forwards. Someone somewhere on Cracked explained it. The film series ended with Darth Vader and the emperor's defeat. They do not show the inevitable vacuum of power that leads to still surviving sanctions of the Empire trying to take back over and another pair of Darths rising. We're not supposed to think about how hard the Rebels would have to work to get the galaxy working and how difficult it's going to be for them to restore order in the absence of the Empire. There are various things like that the expanded universe takes care of, but I don't think anyone wants to see as a film. The Rebels got rid of Vader and the Emperor, and everything looks hopeful with a happy ending. That's how a film series should end.
I managed a toy store for three years. Trust me. Maybe you don't want to see a 7th film, but there are plenty of people who will. I'll give anything a chance. I've always felt they could do more with Star Wars if taken away from Lucas so this kind of excites me. It's the perfect chance to create a new story with new characters still grounded in the classic world. This really is an opportunity for redemption. Let's face it. Eps 4-6 were for fans, Eps 1-3 were for kids. Eps 7-9 could bridge that gap.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But here's the thing. People want to see Empire Strike Back 2, essentially the same old 3 Star Wars films with different stories. That's kinda what people wanted out of the prequels. Sure, there are those that had real problems with the films themselves in terms of quality and storytelling, but then there were those who were genuinely ticked that, considering this was the story of how Darth Vader came to be, that Han and Chewie weren't there and C3-PO was "naked." If we get Star Wars 7, we'll no doubt see more new characters everyone will hate for being new. And if they use the same characters, they'd either complain about how they're old or they're recast.

I've seen this movie before. Everytime there's rumblings of a sequel of anything that hasn't had one for decades, everyone's initially excited, can't wait to see it, and then they're the first (and loudest) to complain when it doesn't measure up to their nostalgia filter. ESPECIALLY when it's a will it happen or not situation. Look at Indian Jones. When rumblings of a "we might do it" happened, everyone was excited, and kept egging them on. The film comes out, and EVERYONE couldn't shut up about how horrible it was. There are people who whine about Tron Legacy sucking, and no one even liked the first one. Now there's Ghostbusters 3 which is still in the may or may not stage. You know when that comes out, everyone's going to hate it. Especially since they want to make it a "next Generation" film.

On the one hand, I actually would like to see Star Wars 7, 8, and 9. I have no idea what else they can do with the story, but I'd have an open mind about it. I actually liked the Prequels (though I think Phantom Menace was the worst of the three).

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm torn by this.

On one hand, doesn't Disney own enough? But on the other hand, Star Wars could be treated better under Disney's direction, like the generous treatment they've been giving the Muppets and Marvel recently. Most of the best ideas of the Original Trilogy didn't even come from Lucas.

Also, I wonder if some of the actors from the OT would reprise their roles. That would be interesting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm torn by this.

On one hand, doesn't Disney own enough? But on the other hand, Star Wars could be treated better under Disney's direction, like the generous treatment they've been giving the Muppets and Marvel recently. Most of the best ideas of the Original Trilogy didn't even come from Lucas.
My thoughts exactly. Disney has a LOT of toys, but at least play with the toys you already have. The only thing that bugs me about their ownership of Marvel, though, is the fact that Marvel published more Disney properties in the 90's than they've done now. Leftover Toy Story and Muppet comic arcs are all they have. I'm very disappointed Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, Donald Duck, and Scrooge McDuck aren't being published under the Marvel banner. But Marvel already has a Bruce Banner, making those unnecessary. Dark Horse supposedly has the license through 2013, and while it would be great to see Star Wars return to Marvel (they're the ones that published the comic in the first place) I just hope they actually print Star Wars comics at Marvel.

Also, I wonder if some of the actors from the OT would reprise their roles. That would be interesting.
I doubt the films will focus on them at all. I'd even doubt a cameo. I think for the most part, the cast wrote all that off. With the exception of Anthony Daniels. He'd probably be on board.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what Star Wars stuff Disney has the full distribution rights to. I'd assume Fox still owns the distribution rights to the films.

Worst case scenario: We'll see Andy and Randy team up with Jar-Jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.