Muppet One Shots

Misskermie

Reaction score
It hasn't snowed yet, but the weather can't decide if it's hot or cold.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------
:news: *taps foot in impeccable Buster Brown saddle shoe*

*looks at watch*

*The Scowl*

------------

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Here you go! I had lots of fun writing this one, and I hope you enjoy it just as much! Here's to both Newsie and Newsmanfan, the greatest anchorman and writers I know.

Newsie Newsman Oneshot:

If there was one word to describe how Newsie was feeling, it was “ow”. Ow, this hurt, that would definitely be needing more than a simple band aid, and that would probably really hurt in the morning. “Ow” just about summed up his entire career, possibly even his nominal life. He created comedy through his pain, and sometimes he would wonder if someone even cared about what he did.

When the director would yell cut Newsie found it very hard to bite his tongue and stop himself from saying. “Cut, huh? I'll show you a cut!”. Instead he would merely limp off the nearest cup of coffee he could find and nurse his wounds, both physical and emotional.
Some people had no idea how hard it was to be a news anchorman, how they put themselves in harm's way while the audience would sit at home nice and cozy and quite frankly “enjoy the show”. Maybe he was being a little too angst and just needed to wire down if that was the case, coffee was not the best choice right now.
What really bothered him was the fact that he didn't really give actual news, it was scripted and he simply read the lines before being promptly hit with something heavy. What he did was a far cry from his childhood dream of being a news anchor, about a thousand miles of a far cry in his opinion.

It wasn't that he didn't enjoy the people he worked with, or the fact that he had a job. Of course, there isn't a lot of occupations for someone created from sponge material and felt, however his work did add a whole new meaning to “adding salt to the wound”. Oh, how he dreamed of being as great as Barbra Walters or Andy Rooney, but alas his dream seemed to drift farther and farther away as the years swept away his youthful dreams. “Ow” indeed.
“Hey, good job today, Newsie!” Walter said cheerfully, his optimism evidently oblivious to the newsman.
“Thank you, Walter. It's nice to see someone appreciates my work around here.” Newsie said sarcastically before grimacing. He hadn't meant to sound so rude, or perhaps he did, he wasn't so sure any more.
“Well, why wouldn't you be appreciated?” Walter asked with childlike innocence. “You have to be one of the bravest Muppets I know!” The young muppet exclaimed in bewilderment. Newsie wearily raised a scruffy eyebrow at him in question, unsure of how to reply to his sincerity. Taking the yellow, felted Muppet's silence as cue to go on Walter continued.

“Every day you tell the news, not caring what dangers you may have to face, whether falling cows or bowling balls. Why, I really looked up to you when I was little, well little-er I should say.” Walter frowned slightly at the mention of his obvious short comings. Try as he might the newsman couldn't help listening to the optimist before him, suddenly he didn't feel hurt so much.

“And you want to know the best thing about your performance?” the younger muppet continued. “You always made me laugh!” Newsie sighed and could feel the corners of his mouth sag again. Always the fool of the court, never the king, he thought silently to himself. Seeing his demeanor change, Walter back tracked.

“No, no, no, I didn't mean it that way!” He looked frantic and Newsie felt like ruffling the boy's hair in amusement, but he refrained himself and kept his appearance casual. “What I mean is, when I saw how you were able to get back on your feet, when I saw how strong you were, it made me feel strong too.” He said.

“It helped me to get out of bed every morning and face a new day, being able to forget how short I was, and how people thought I was nerdy and weird for liking you guys.” Walter's voice became more thoughtful and soft as he continued.

“You inspired me, to be me and not try to be like the rest, you made me strong.” Walter finished happily. Newsie's mind went blank for a moment in silent contemplation. He inspired people? He, a simple actor who dreamed of being a real news anchor had helped someone, just like the newsmen and women of his childhood and inspired him. No words could possibly describe the feeling in Newsie's heart at that moment.

“You truly are one of the greats, Newsman.” Walter said before walking away to help somehow in the chaos of the theater.
“One of the greats, huh?” He murmured to himself. Pushing his glasses up onto the bridge of his nose, the newsman sauntered over to the stage doors leading to who knew where. “Ow” certainly wasn't the correct word to describe Newsie. Perhaps, instead it was “brave”.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
That was adorable, touching, and lovely! Why yes. I think I do see a wistful smile on that broad mouth...and is that a tear?

:news: Something in my eye. 'Scuse me.

Uh huh.

Walter is the perfect foil to each and every one of the Muppets, every one of them who feels down or frustrated or underappreciated (which, at various times and in various situations, is pretty much all of them). Nice choice for a dialogue. :fanatic:

VERY sweet, Figgie! Thank you! :smile:
-------------