"A Special Sesame Street Christmas" coming to DVD and CD November 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Exactly. :stick_out_tongue:

Besides, this had Ann Murray in it, and I LOVE Ann Murray! Now, if she only didn't hit first base with Big Bird, I'd probably like it a LOT more.

And I don't care what anybody says - Oscar's cover if "Yakkity Yak" is brilliant.
To be fair, "You Needed Me" is the most tolerable song in the special since it doesn't involve Leslie Uggams' screech-singing and is probably fine on it's own without Big Bird hitting first base.

Oscar singing Yakkety Yak though is bloody epic. Just sayin.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
To be fair, "You Needed Me" is the most tolerable song in the special since it doesn't involve Leslie Uggams' screech-singing and is probably fine on it's own without Big Bird hitting first base.
I think I've mentioned it to you before, but I love"You Needed Me" as a song by itself - It's a song about the beauty of love, and how both being loved and showing love enhances our lives. Beautiful song... BUT WHAT THE HECK DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH CHRISTMAS ON SESAME STREET?!? ... But still, just the fact that it's there makes me happy, even if Mrs. Murray is sleep-syncing through it... and making out with Big Bird... :attitude:

I don't even mind Leslie Uggams that much. What I can't stand in this special is Ethel Murman's "singing" of "Tommorow". Not only does that one not have a thing to do with Christmas... it's barely even relatable to the situation the characters are in. And it certainly doesn't help that she basically belches it out.

Oscar's bits are basically the only good thing in the special. His one-liners are awesome, and admittedly, it is pretty sweet when he starts caring for the kitten.

The rest is just a huge wreck of awkwardness - And for that, it's rather entertaining for it. I mean, really, where else can you see Bob McGrath ranting about a flashing yellow light snow plow, or hear Leslie Uggams singing about how handsome Oscar the Grouch is? Then there's the ending medley, and the camera pans away on an almost deserted Sesame Street set... Brilliant garbage this is. :laugh:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I think I've mentioned it to you before, but I love"You Needed Me" as a song by itself - It's a song about the beauty of love, and how both being loved and showing love enhances our lives. Beautiful song... BUT WHAT THE HECK DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH CHRISTMAS ON SESAME STREET?!? ... But still, just the fact that it's there makes me happy, even is Mrs. Murray is sleep-syncing through it... and making out with Big Bird... :attitude:
"It's only creepy when Big Bird closes his eyes..." were your exact words if I recall correctly.

I don't even mind Leslie Uggams that much. What I can't stand in this special is Ethel Murman's "singing" of "Tommorow". Not only does that one not have a thing to do with Christmas... it's barely even relatable to the situation the characters are in. And it certainly doesn't help that she basically belches it out.
That's another one I have a huge problem with. I think I just pick on "You Needed Me" more because it comes earlier in the special. But Ethel is much worse.

Interestingly enough, the Leslie Uggams episode of The Muppet Show is one of my favorites of the series. It's just in this special I can't stand this derpy (offensive term? I don't care!), excessively-optimistic, attracted-to-grouches Leslie character they create.

Oscar's bits are basically the only good thing in the special. His one-liners are awesome, and admittedly, it is pretty sweet when he starts caring for the kitten.
Most of them are. I still don't get that line about flying over Cleveland though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't stand this derpy (offensive term? I don't care!)
Yeah... like, what's the deal with that? The term came from South Park:
Then the Pony thing. And now every cartoon character that's stupid is offensive now. Grimlock call bull on that.

Anyway...

My question is, WHY no Christmas songs in a Christmas special? I hate the heck out of the musical Annie, and Tomorrow is... well... anyone see that Three Stooges short where they enter Curly in a boxing match because he goes ape every time he hears Pop goes the Weasel? That. That for me.

But even Muppet Family Christmas managed to get as many Christmas songs as possible in there. Even ones from musicals. And the only thing that wasn't a Christmas song was sung by the Fraggles, and it was for their Christmas-like holiday.

And Anne Murray was totally coming on to Big Bird.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
OFF TOPIC: Glad to see another Barney Fan. I love Barney.
Awesome! It's great to see that there's more than one fan of the purple guy on here! :super:

My question is, WHY no Christmas songs in a Christmas special? I hate the heck out of the musical Annie, and Tomorrow is... well... anyone see that Three Stooges short where they enter Curly in a boxing match because he goes ape every time he hears Pop goes the Weasel? That. That for me.

But even Muppet Family Christmas managed to get as many Christmas songs as possible in there. Even ones from musicals. And the only thing that wasn't a Christmas song was sung by the Fraggles, and it was for their Christmas-like holiday.
Well, to be fair, there are Christmas songs in A Special Sesame Street Christmas - They're just... well, I guess you could call them "different sounding" originals, or that really awkward medely at the end. :sympathy:

But yeah, it really is strange that most of the songs have nothing to do with Christmas. I can understand why "You Needed Me" is in here (It was a hit song from that year, so they probably wanted to use it as a selling point), but I don't think I could ever come up for a good reason for "Tommorow" and "If Just One Person" being in here.

(For the record, I can't stand Annie either)

Oh, and I'm suddenly reminded:

"What's the matter? You look like an idiot!"
.......................What was up with that brilliant line?

And Anne Murray was totally coming on to Big Bird.
Yeah, but the yellow guy was kind of hinting the request... :laugh:

SesameFever

Reaction score
Awesome! It's great to see that there's more than one fan of the purple guy on here! :super:

Well, to be fair, there are Christmas songs in A Special Sesame Street Christmas - They're just... well, I guess you could call them "different sounding" originals, or that really awkward medely at the end. :sympathy:

But yeah, it really is strange that most of the songs have nothing to do with Christmas. I can understand why "You Needed Me" is in here (It was a hit song from that year, so they probably wanted to use it as a selling point), but I don't think I could ever come up for a good reason for "Tommorow" and "If Just One Person" being in here.

(For the record, I can't stand Annie either)

Oh, and I'm suddenly reminded:

"What's the matter? You look like an idiot!"
.......................What was up with that brilliant line?

Yeah, but the yellow guy was kind of hinting the request... :laugh:
I know. Thanks. Barney is fun and great music. I love Annie. I have since I was a kid. Have several versions of the Movie and Broadway soundtracks. Tomorrow is one great song in my opinion. I even did an Annie medley in a talent show.

Status
Not open for further replies.