That Guy with the Glasses' "Demo Reel" trailer

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Any fans of That Guy with the Glasses on here?

Well, you probably know that Doug Walker has recently retired his Nostalgia Critic show, and said that he'd replace it with something else. Well, this is that something else:

Personally, I think this YouTube comment sums it up best:

"so you dumped the Critic for a live action version of How it should have Ended?

Doug, I love you. But I was hoping for original content. You and your brother have the writing chops for it.

Course in the end maybe this will be the best thing you could ever do, I'm just a concerned fan who doesn't want this to go all Julia Lewis Dryfus' carrier on you."
- camotophat

What do you guys think?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I like it. I think it has a lot of potential.

And it's likely that Doug's never even heard of HISHE. Doug's had ideas in the past that he later found out were already done. His "It's a Wonderful Life" parody is one that comes to mind. But the fact that these ideas to come to his (and Rob's) mind just goes to show that they are smart when it comes to comedy. They just happen to be a little late on things from time to time.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It has potential if they do it the right way... I'm just hoping that there is more situation/conflict than there are parodies. Granted TGWTG isn't the best at long-term character arcs but I would assume since these are meant to be more fleshed-out characters than a bunch of internet critics essentially playing themselves hopefully Doug will get the hint and write this group of characters accordingly. It seems to be an ambitious project, sure, but since the premiere episode is supposedly an hour long, I'll reserve my judgement to see that first.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I like it. I think it has a lot of potential.

And it's likely that Doug's never even heard of HISHE. Doug's had ideas in the past that he later found out were already done. His "It's a Wonderful Life" parody is one that comes to mind. But the fact that these ideas to come to his (and Rob's) mind just goes to show that they are smart when it comes to comedy. They just happen to be a little late on things from time to time.
Well, I guess it depends on what you enjoy from him. I personally didn't like the It's a Wonderful Life parody, or any of the movies (I haven't seen To Boldly Flee yet, and I don't think I have the patience to sit through the - What is it? - four hour runtime)

Going by the trailer for this new show, I don't see a lot of long-running potential in this. I think Nostalgia Critic ran for so long because the idea was so simple. This looks a little too complex to go on for too long. And besides, how many movie parodies can you do before it gets stale?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Well, as BobThePizzaBoy mentioned, this may have potential if done right. Hopefully, we'll get more than just parodies (i.e. a backstory, a continuing plot, etc.). But there's really no telling until the real deal comes along.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Well, as BobThePizzaBoy mentioned, this may have potential if done right. Hopefully, we'll get more than just parodies (i.e. a backstory, a continuing plot, etc.). But there's really no telling until the real deal comes along.
Fair enough. I suppose I'll try watching the first few episodes.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Well, I guess it depends on what you enjoy from him. I personally didn't like the It's a Wonderful Life parody, or any of the movies (I haven't seen To Boldly Flee yet, and I don't think I have the patience to sit through the - What is it? - four hour runtime)

Going by the trailer for this new show, I don't see a lot of long-running potential in this. I think Nostalgia Critic ran for so long because the idea was so simple. This looks a little too complex to go on for too long. And besides, how many movie parodies can you do before it gets stale?
I watched enough of To Boldly Flee to say that it was "good, not great". It is excruciatingly long but I appreciated the advancements to the NC's character (mostly his making peace with the AVGN and coming to terms with himself to merge with a "plot hole"... it makes sense when you watch it) so I have hopes that that character arc in To Boldly Flee, the best thing about all anniversary movies quite honestly, is a warm-up act for how these characters in Demo Reel could possibly evolve.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, Doug said he was going to be focusing on parody movies... which are already a dime a dozen, and most parody movies are crap anyway.

I mean I too love Doug, he's probably my favorite internet celebrity, he's certainly one of the more genuinely talented internet celebrities there is, and he's certainly one of the more prematurely balding internet celebrities out there... I think he's making a good move, but not utilizing it to the best of his potential: on the one hand, he IS branching out, and he is moving on to other, bigger projects, BUT on the other hand, like people have been saying, he's not really taking a more original route, which is probably would he should do.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Personally, I think this YouTube comment sums it up best:

"so you dumped the Critic for a live action version of How it should have Ended?
I know that comment's not from you, but he didn't just leave the Critic for Demo Reel (I've never heard of "How It Shoudl Have Ended"), he also left it to do a nostalgia-based talk show (has a trailer for that come out yet?).

And besides, how many movie parodies can you do before it gets stale?
As long as there's material to parody it can't get old. When Weird Al Yankovic was the focus on Behind the Music it was said that doing parodies of pop culture is what's kept him relevant.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
*thinks*
So that's what the new thing is. Hmmm. I don't want it to be a live-action HISHE. Heck, I watch that channel a lot of the time just for the cafe running gag, LOL (especially the Avengers one :big_grin:).

I hope he does branch out and do backstories, etc. And Bum should stay (not like that was a really deep character anyway). Not a big fan of most parody movies, though Pokemon Apocalypse was frickin' awesome and should actually be made officially. :smile: