Favorite Muppet Movie?

Kasey Kockroach

Reaction score
Great Muppet Caper. It being the Muppets at their purest is the only way I can think of to describe it.
Second place goes to The Muppet Movie, because it's, well, The Muppet Movie.
Third is Muppets Take Manhattan. It's of course the least good of the original trilogy, but it's interesting for being the most drastically ambitious. It's the first time Frank had complete control over a project like this, unlike Jim who at least knew how to direct TV specials and such (GMC was just the first time he got a decent budget). While MTM was by a newbie who made to what amounts to a plea to take itself seriously.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
If I had to just rank them:
  1. The Muppet Movie
  2. The Muppet Christmas Carol
  3. The Muppets
  4. The Great Muppet Caper
  5. The Muppets Take Manhattan
  6. Muppet Treasure Island
  7. It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
  8. Muppets from Space
  9. The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

robodog

Reaction score
First installment wins. TMM is my favorite hands down.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
If I had to just rank them:
  1. The Muppet Movie
  2. The Muppet Christmas Carol
  3. The Muppets
  4. The Great Muppet Caper
  5. The Muppets Take Manhattan
  6. Muppet Treasure Island
  7. It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
  8. Muppets from Space
  9. The Muppets' Wizard of Oz
I think I should try ranking them too - and I'll include Kermit's Swamp Years and (even though I know it's not being asked here) the two Sesame Street movies, too:

1. The Muppet Movie (1979)
  2. The Great Muppet Caper (1981)
  3. The Muppets (2011)
  4. Sesame Street presents: Follow that Bird (1985)
  5. It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002)
  6. The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)
  7. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
  8. The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (1999)
  9. Muppets from Space (1999)
  10. Muppet Treasure Island (1996)
  11. The Muppets Wizard of Oz (2005)
  12. Kermit's Swamp Years (2002)
Man... I'm impressed I could do that. :stick_out_tongue:

Hayley B

Reaction score
My favorite is The Muppets Take Manhattan.

I'll need to sit and watch "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" someday.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I think I should try ranking them too - and I'll include Kermit's Swamp Years and (even though I know it's not being asked here) the two Sesame Street movies, too:
I'll followup on that and add a tiny note to my list that, if I included the Sesame movies and Kermit's Swamp Years: Follow That Bird would be between Great Muppet Caper and Muppets Take Manhattan, Elmo in Grouchland would be between Muppet Treasure Island and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie and Kermit's Swamp Years would be second-to-last, just being edged out Muppets' Wizard of Oz.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I'll followup on that and add a tiny note to my list that, if I included the Sesame movies and Kermit's Swamp Years: Follow That Bird would be between Great Muppet Caper and Muppets Take Manhattan, Elmo in Grouchland would be between Muppet Treasure Island and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie and Kermit's Swamp Years would be second-to-last, just being edged out Muppets' Wizard of Oz.
C'mon, man... Muppets Wizard of Oz wasn't THAT bad. :big_grin:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
C'mon, man... Muppets Wizard of Oz wasn't THAT bad. :big_grin:
I will admit that the first time I saw Muppets' Wizard of Oz, which was at one of the advance screenings at the Tribeca Film Festival the year it came out, I really liked it. As did everyone else in the audience. During the scene where Gonzo pointed out his nipples, the audience was applauding and laughing for a good minute at that joke. Looking back, I think we were all on a "new Muppet movie" high to notice the film's low quality.

Besides, truth is I haven't seen Kermit's Swamp Years in a long time to justify really say anything about it. But it at least it had enough Henson in-jokes in it to give it at least one watch, even if we had to witness seeing a Muppet's anus. :concern:

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I will admit that the first time I saw Muppets' Wizard of Oz, which was at one of the advance screenings at the Tribeca Film Festival the year it came out, I really liked it. As did everyone else in the audience. During the scene where Gonzo pointed out his nipples, the audience was applauding and laughing for a good minute at that joke. Looking back, I think we were all on a "new Muppet movie" high to notice the film's low quality.
Yeah, that's certainly understandable.

Trust me, I can only imagine what I'd be doing if I saw Barney's Great Adventure at the cinema today for the first time.

What do I think of it now? Well...