Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, while I would love to see Barney & the Backyard Gang on DVD, as has been said on here, there isn't really a big market for classic Barney. It would be best for HiT Entertainment to continue making their DVDs for the audience of small kids.

With that in mind, there is really no reason why there are so many Barney videos pre-dating 2002 that aren't on DVD - Not to mention the first six seasons of the Barney & Friends television series.
Too be fair, other than Sesame Street having a larger adult fan base (as of late, anyway), we kinda had to beg and plead and write letters over and over about how Sesame Street hasn't released any classic materials for the older fan base, and that was a process of years before the first Old School DVD even came out. Heck, there was a long amount of time before Sesame Street even acknowledged that it had an adult audience with money who would give said money to them in exchange for anything. If you told us that there were innuendo filled Elmo T-shirts for sale in adult sized then, we'd've called you crazy!

There were the terrible days where we had to tape trade or buy the 10 dollar and up half hour videos for one clip! It's so easy to forget the days before Youtube and the Sesame Street video website. So don't lose heart on that yet. They just have to know you're out there.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Too be fair, other than Sesame Street having a larger adult fan base (as of late, anyway), we kinda had to beg and plead and write letters over and over about how Sesame Street hasn't released any classic materials for the older fan base, and that was a process of years before the first Old School DVD even came out. Heck, there was a long amount of time before Sesame Street even acknowledged that it had an adult audience with money who would give said money to them in exchange for anything. If you told us that there were innuendo filled Elmo T-shirts for sale in adult sized then, we'd've called you crazy!

There were the terrible days where we had to tape trade or buy the 10 dollar and up half hour videos for one clip! It's so easy to forget the days before Youtube and the Sesame Street video website. So don't lose heart on that yet. They just have to know you're out there.
Well, there are adult Barney products out there, mostly sold at Spencer's Gifts, and they are selling well - They're similar to the Sesame ones, except HiT is MUCH more strict on what types of things that Barney can be on. (For example, there's no way that there will be Barney bikinis competing with the Elmo and Cookie Monster ones) But, honestly, they're probably mostly being bought by people who think it's cute, not loyal Barney fans. (I've bought everything that my local Spenser's has stocked, just for the record)

Since Barney is so strictly for children, I kind of doubt that he'll ever get to the adult popularity status that Sesame Street is at. (Every teen/adult Barney fan I know is one that's been watching since they were in the target audience, and never gave it up)

That said, like they're doing with Sesame, releasing the older videos as normal Barney DVDs for kids would be a good idea. Next year will be Barney's twenty-fifth year, and considering that the videos were so popular, it's safe to say that there are new parents, uncles, aunts, etc. that are looking for specific Barney titles from their childhoods to share with their own children.

Though, it must be said, HiT was doing this for a little while - The last "First time on DVD" release was 2007's release of You Can Be Anything! from 2002. (The oldest Barney video on DVD is 1994's Imagination Island, which was rereleased in 2004) When Lionsgate started distrubting HiT Entertainment's DVDs, the only classic Barney DVDs coming out were re-releases of titles that were already on DVD before then.

There are several Barney videos not on DVD, and considering that most new Barney DVDs are just collections of modern (2002 -) episodes, it's strange that HiT's not putting out some of the older titles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

But enough about Barney - I'm actually a bit curious about something regarding this Sesame set.

Considering that content from around this time appears on regular Sesame DVDs, I wonder if this third Old School volume will have the "For adults only" warning that the first two had.

Anybody here know yet?

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Considering that content from around this time appears on regular Sesame DVDs, I wonder if this third Old School volume will have the "For adults only" warning that the first two had.

Anybody here know yet?
Maybe, this Old School set is marked for everyone since children of today's generation has been going on to the Sesame Street website and DVDs, watching both past and current clips. Another reason is that younger children don't know that the Old School sets are marked "For adults only". So, it is a good idea to have children experience what Sesame Street was like in its earliest days. Then, the children will know a lot of good facts like that Telly's named because he used to watch television, that Superman and Batman appeared in earlier SS segments, and that Barkley was originally named Woof-Woof. Does anyone agree with that?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I think on the side of the Henson stuff, they're pretty much putting it out just because they have it. Not that I know the specifics - Does Lionsgate have ALL of Henson Company for distribution? (If yes, then I guess you guys are just luckier than the retro-Barney junkies of the world.)
Sony has had the video rights to The Dark Crystal and The StoryTeller since the Jim Henson Home Entertainment days, while the company has always had the distribution rights to Labyrinth and Buddy. I don't think any companies that had the primary video rights to the Henson library has ever had the video rights to Farscape for some reason.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

Anybody here know yet?
If it does, I will treat it with the same consideration I gave it the first two times--none, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, there areadult Barney products out there, mostly sold at Spencer's Gifts, and they are selling well - They're similar to the Sesame ones, except HiT is MUCH more strict on what types of things that Barney can be on. (For example, there's no way that there will be Barney bikinis competing with the Elmo and Cookie Monster ones) But, honestly, they're probably mostly being bought by people who think it's cute, not loyal Barney fans. (I've bought everything that my local Spenser's has stocked, just for the record)
Hit... well, the less said about them the better. Mention Hit to a Thomas the Tank Engine fan, and they'll go on a tirade. Though, they did license TTTE Pez dispensers. But you have to buy a set with ALL the ones you already have if you want to get Gordon for some reason. But what they did to the show... Not to mention the bungling of releasing Fraggle Rock the Complete series BEFORE they released season 4.

I've seen Barney shirts and hats and stuff for adults before. It's working a nostalgic angle no doubt. I don't know if they know if there's an adult fan base, but ... well, everything has a fan base apparently. I know there's a LOT of adult MMPR fans, and they have a solid, respectable sized fanbase. Once Saban got the rights back from Disney (who did it's best to kill it, so I understand), they couldn't release their back catalog and adult merchandise fast enough.

But just remember that it wasn't easy for us to get adult Sesame products. They didn't think we existed.

If it does, I will treat it with the same consideration I gave it the first two times--none, lol.
Funny thing is, I've noticed other DVD's that had that warning. I complained, and found out that they kinda swear in the special retrospectives (the WB released Saturday Morning compilations mostly)... yet, no warning for the PPG set, and they used the real names of the characters in the older bonus shorts. And PPG fans will know why that's kinda inappropriate.

As far as this release goes, doesn't look like they have a warning on the DVD set. There's none on the back!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Funny thing is, I've noticed other DVD's that had that warning. I complained, and found out that they kinda swear in the special retrospectives (the WB released Saturday Morning compilations mostly)... yet, no warning for the PPG set, and they used the real names of the characters in the older bonus shorts. And PPG fans will know why that's kinda inappropriate. As far as this release goes, doesn't look like they have a warning on the DVD set. There's none on the back!
I mean swearing I can understand. In contrast, the excuses for the Sesame DVDs just don't hold water. It just comes off as paranoid and odd. It would be nice if they have finally given up on it, lol.

Kasey Kockroach

Reaction score
I'm just holding my breath for what the Classic Cuts will be. If we get I Don't Want to Live on the Moon uncut on DVD, I can die happy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean swearing I can understand. In contrast, the excuses for the Sesame DVDs just don't hold water. It just comes off as paranoid and odd. It would be nice if they have finally given up on it, lol.
I only get that it's an issue if it's one of those parent types that buy up every thing with the Sesame Street logo on it to babysit their 1 year old. Mainly because Elmo's not mugging the screen for at least 30 of every 50 minutes and they blame that for the reason their too young to watch TV kids are running around, exploring the world. And I'm guessing there would be the dreaded letter writing. Not to mention how hyper offended everyone is about everything. It's like they're saying "How dare you not show a marshmallowy world of saccharine? " And MORE letters. It's like a preemptive butt cover.

Though, it kinda was developed so we'd shut up about not having fan alternatives. I just don't see why preschoolers "needs" mean that their kids can't enjoy it either. But then, Veggie Monster will tell you that Sesame Street is terrible at PR.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
As far as this release goes, doesn't look like they have a warning on the DVD set. There's none on the back!
Were those warnings even on the back of the last two Sesame Street Old School sets? I can only rememeber ever hearing a little warning on the intro of the DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.