Romney wants to cut funding for PBS and Sesame Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering that this is America, we do have the right to complain.

Bickering between the parties is what has left the country behind. Our President had a very hard time passing anything due to the fact he didn't have a majority vote in congress and the Republican leadership made it clear that their "top priority" was to make Obama a one-term president. Health care, the country its citizens took a backseat to a partisan grudge. Republican leadership refuses to deal with the President because they're upset that they lost the last election and that's a big problem. This has happened the other-way-around when we had a Republican president, but never on this scale. Even if you don't like Democratic policies, much of the blame for the country's stagnancy resides with the Republican leadership.
The dumbest thing the Democrats did was not let the Republicans get rid of the Filibuster. Mainly because it would have come back to bite them on the butt, considering they made quite a use of it for the party that wanted to do away with it.

And to get this perfectly clear, I'm not stabbing at the voters, but the politicians, talking heads, and tin foil hat crazies that don't fit in with the main stream voters. The Republican party has become so incredibly, utterly disgusting since Clinton was in office, and they were trying to impeach him for lying about a sexual affair all the while having sexual affairs themselves! Then came the Freedom Fries and the "if you're not with us, you're against us" balderdash... that last one translates to "If you don't like what Bush and his ditto head cronies are doing, you're an evil terrorist sympathizer," by the way... now the petulant, childish, Eric Cartman-esque behavior from the far far right that was elected on opportunism. Like turtleman Mitch McConnel, cry baby Boener, and Eric "this guy was a freaking HEDGE FUND MANAGER! Those were the people who RUINED out ECONOMY" Cantor.

The sane, reasonable, middle of the road Republicans have LONG left the party, to be replaced by uncooperative Koch and Norquest backed puppets. NONE of us elected Norquest or the Koches, yet they run the country. Not to mention the "corporations are people too" trash they're spouting. No they aren't. They have rights people don't have. If we bought our own government, that would be called a bribe, and we'd get jail time for it.

The fact of the matter is the President can't get anything done, the Reps won't let him get anything

Before anyone blames the two-party system, it is a historical fact that once a third party becomes competitive enough it replaces one of the two parties. For better or for worse we will always have a two-party system.
There are 2 things I have to say about that.

Firstly, I think all true conservatives should vote Libertarian. I'm not a fan, but that's what true conservatism is closest too. I get they hate wasteful spending, and everything to them is wasteful, but Libertarians are at least sincere about the radical things they want. The Republican party is the Neo-Con party now, and they don't give a crap about anything except getting as much stock money as humanly possible, all while using Republican voters to get people they want in office. Meanwhile, the liberals are going to be stuck with Democrats... that's the furthest left the country could possibly go.

Secondly, I agree. I think everyone puts too much faith in thinking there's going to be a magic third party that's going to solve everyone's problems. We don't even have an organized one (other than Libs). And the real problem with the indie parties? They're even more extreme (in most cases) than the 2 party system. To get elected, both parties kinda have to pander to the other side to some extent, but a far left Peacenik party (the only kind indies actually want) or a far right even scarier party aren't going to cut it, and they aren't going to be incorruptible.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I wonder: If Mitt Romney wins the election, will his wife make a guest appearance on Sesame Street like the last few first wives?

Considering how the media has been making a big deal out of Romney mentioning Big Bird (and he did say he likes Big Bird, so I don't really understand the problem), I hope this leads to Sesame Workshop releasing the season 7 episode where Big Bird runs for president, whether on DVD, iTunes, or the street scenes on sesamestreet.org.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I won't take sides in the "who's to blame" or "who to elect" debates, since choosing a side in American politics is like answering "Which lung would you rather get cancer in--your left or your right?" Still, it would be awesome to see the old "Big Bird for President" episode re-released around Election Day!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I wonder: If Mitt Romney wins the election, will his wife make a guest appearance on Sesame Street like the last few first wives?
We were talking about that a few pages ago: we're hoping that she WON'T be on SST.

Y'know, I've seen my share of a few dislikable first ladies over the years, but she's probably the most smug of them all.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Y'know, I've seen my share of a few dislikable first ladies over the years, but she's probably the most smug of them all.
I'm sorry Snowth, but if we're talking about smug First Ladies, that vote has to go to Barbra Bush, lol. Her appearance on the show was so smuggy to me. Do you feel what the smug I'm talking about? :stick_out_tongue:

Smug. *snickers*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Her attitude is atrocious. love how she was on the defensive about being a housewife when others called her out on being a rich housewife who is so well off, she doesn't need to talk about funds, like she can relate to every single stay at home mother that has to and has to struggle with a ridiculously small budget. And the children of the corn kids he has... ugh.

I said it before, but I'd LOVE for SS to blacklist her from ever appearing on the show, but they'll take the moral high ground.

Rest assured, she won't be in a segment about sharing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Her attitude is atrocious. love how she was on the defensive about being a housewife when others called her out on being a rich housewife who is so well off, she doesn't need to talk about funds, like she can relate to every single stay at home mother that has to and has to struggle with a ridiculously small budget.
And THAT is one of the main problems with the Republican party: most, if not all of them, have been wealthy and rich their entire lives... they have NO idea just what a struggle it is for people in the middle class to literally try to survive, especially during recessions and economic downturns, but they always try to act like they know what it's like, and they know how hard they have it, just to persuade voters.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, what would help the economy is if these wealthy tycoons would take a crowbar to their wallets, and fork over some of their wealth, but they just can't bare even the thought of parting with one fraction of their precious money that they're just sitting on, or throwing away on mansions, yachts, fancy cars, stocks, etc.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Rest assured, she won't be in a segment about sharing.
Personally I'd like to see a segment about getting a position based on your own merits and not due to who you married. Sorry but that's still a hang up for me, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And THAT is one of the main problems with the Republican party: most, if not all of them, have been wealthy and rich their entire lives... they have NO idea just what a struggle it is for people in the middle class to literally try to survive, especially during recessions and economic downturns, but they always try to act like they know what it's like, and they know how hard they have it, just to persuade voters.
Like I said, the Neo-Cons. They took over the party, they have a strangle hold on it, and now they've been bamboozling the poor with Trickle Down fairy tales for decades. They don't want to raise taxes on "job creators." Good. Then raise taxes on all the big businesses, since they aren't actually creating jobs (in this country, anyway).

Poor people that need food stamps, welfare, unemployment, and a hand up are the moocher class, but the corporations that continuously need smaller tax rates, subsidies, and deregulation (so they can cut every single corner to save a cent) need them and are heroes for taking our money. But hey, at least they can get the poor to vote for them with xenophobic, homophobic conspiracy theories they swear they don't believe when confronted about them.