Romney wants to cut funding for PBS and Sesame Street

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Man this whole Big Bird thing has gotten into epic proportions. The NBC nightly news devoted 3 minutes to the whole thing, and the words Muppets, Sesame Street and Big Bird are huge trending buzzwords.

WHY do Republicans hate Sesame Street?

- Sesame Street has made pro military specials that support all the wars the Republicans started

- Sesame Workshop didnt do a darn thing when they learned the US military and CIA was using Sesame Street songs as part of torture sessions against detainees

- Sesame Street has worked with the RAND military think tank post 9/11

Republicans should love Sesame Street. Heck, Laura Bush was even on there!
I just hope Sesame introduces an obviously gay human character to really set them off (err, and to teach kids of course)
Television commentators from all political positions have been mentioning the Big Bird incident, but few of them actually inform the public of the fact that Sesame barely takes any federal money.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unless you're a Pakistani or Yemeni child playing in the dirt

We're going to get that anyway. The "they're both the same" logic doesn't apply to our own gays, women, returning soldiers and Hispanics. The right's logic on that stuff is frightening and backwards. We're never going to get out of the Middle East unless an actual isolationist Libertarian gets in charge.

WHY do Republicans hate Sesame Street?
The Nixon kids invited him over to the White House. NIXON!

But really, there seems to be a LOT of Muppet hate from the far right.

Sesame Street is an evil communist propaganda machine because it mocked a news organization that is exactly what Sesame Street called it (trash that grouches like). Likewise a Sesame Street special is evil because a destitute family wanted food stamps, and they didn't make Obama the evil villain for not deregulating everything under the sun and killing jobs that don't exist.

Ben Shapiro writes a book with free tin foil hat about how evil the liberal media is, citing Sesame Street's evil Muslin coddling 9/11 episode where Elmo didn't waterboard anyone for Hooper's Store catching fire.

The Muppets is an evil commie brainwashing plot because the bad guy is an oil man. Even though said oil man had a face heel turn and saved the day. Kermit's also evil because Obama invited him to the tree lighting ceremony.

Some Middle Eastern Sesame Street co-production is a waste of tax payer money and evil because it's not dropping a bomb on someone.

And the completely imaginary paranoia that Ernie and Bert are turning kids into Dr. Frankenfurter.

Television commentators from all political positions have been mentioning the Big Bird incident, but few of them actually inform the public of the fact that Sesame barely takes any federal money.
The right literally runs on outrage. The left runs on smug better than you-ness, but everything the right says has to be some big blown up conspiracy theory that's going to come and bite you or something. They have an absolute war on PBS and NPR for the tiny amount they get from the government (that basically keeps stations running), and the fact that it's the one place they can't saturate with their paid opinion. They tried a Tucker Carlson show... NO one watched it. So they've been really p***y since then.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't agree with cutting funds to PBS will solve anything, but what I'm really geting upset with is people take pictures of SS Muppets and buting cuss words, and refering to Rommny or what he has planed. can we show a little respect for the SS Muppets please?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Let's not slam one side or the other here. Both sides have very strong and yet very different views on children education. However both side do not believe that PBS or Sesame Street help prepare kids for pre-school. Even though there have been several tests and personal testimony that proves otherwise.

It's really not about the Muppets at this point, even though Big Bird was mentioned it is about the educational value of the show, and PBS. If we are truly in love with what both stand for then we have to fight for that and help keep the show and it's network on the air.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
However both side do not believe that PBS or Sesame Street help prepare kids for pre-school.
I think their concern is more that PBS is a Democrat leaning influence and that makes them nervous. That's all it comes down to for both parties, they don't want the other party to gain advantages.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think their concern is more that PBS is a Democrat leaning influence and that makes them nervous. That's all it comes down to for both parties, they don't want the other party to gain advantages.
That's the problem exactly. Yet, the whole PBS is liberal stuff is a myth. I see Washington round table discussions all the time, and they all have Republican commentators. Regular, recurring ones I forget the names of (Pat Buchanan on The MacLaughlin Group is the only one I can remember). Sure, they used to have Bill Moyers, and that was fairly left wing... except of course for the puff piece on Sarah Palin they aired months before she got the call to be McCain's running mate. And it really was the puffiest puff piece there was. You'd think Puff Daddy and Jigglypuff put the thing together. I kinda blame that on her becoming the running mate and being such a celebrity for it.

:eek: WAIT A SECOND!!!!

If it wasn't for PBS... if it wasn't for them, they wouldn't have had their biggest celebrity politician they kept trotting out to whine about the president loudly, and they'd lose one of the biggest voices in their precious Tea Party.

So yeah... I guess the Republicans do owe something to PBS!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's the problem exactly. Yet, the whole PBS is liberal stuff is a myth. I see Washington round table discussions all the time, and they all have Republican commentators. Regular, recurring ones I forget the names of (Pat Buchanan on The MacLaughlin Group is the only one I can remember). Sure, they used to have Bill Moyers, and that was fairly left wing...
Well Bill Moyers was definitely left wing. And certainly kid's shows making a point of including minority characters tends to be on the liberal side of politics (whether it was Sesame Street having a diverse cast back in the '70s or shows featuring gay characters today). They definitely have Republican commentators but Fox News also frequently has Democrat commentators and they are certainly right wing. So yes I would say PBS has left tendencies. But that's no excuse to attack it. Networks are allowed to have leanings like that. No one is being forced to watch. :wink: