Theory about Elmo the Musical

hehehe

Reaction score
Hey!
I just posted this theory on SS Facebook page--thought you folks would find it interesting. (If you want to respond on Facebook instead of here, I put it under the "Elmo on The Look" post.) :smile: Here 'tis:
"Hey, for all the parents and kids who don't like Elmo: the Musical:
I have a theory here--one I don't think has been proposed. Here goes:
Elmo the Musical IS Elmo's World--just at the next level. Think about it: Elmo's World was created entirely out of Elmo's imagination. He used it to explore all sides of basic concepts--frogs, shapes, birthdays, etc. Well, now that Elmo's gotten a little older, he's EXPANDED Elmo's World--into a whole entire universe. A MUSICAL universe.
How do I back this up? Because some things from Elmo's World aren't COMPLETELY gone. For example, we still have a focus on imagination, we still have some counting and early math games, and--most important--we still focus on ONE subject.
So, a more proper name for Elmo the Musical: Elmo's Universe.
Thoughts on that?"

So, what do ya think of my theory? :smile:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, the parents argument is that EW is structured, which is apparently what kids of that young age need when watching programming. Also, they like Mr. Noodle or something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still say Elmo the Musical is SST's way of trying to capitalize on the un-necessarily un-necessary popularity of Glee, Smash, and other musical-based entertainment projects that just kills good music.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Also, one or two people thought the idea of Velvet was ridiculous. I mean, didn't Elmo have Shade, which was like a curtain, almost, sort-of? At least Velvet talks. Door, Drawer and TV don't speak (English anyway) and all Computer had his dated "Elmo has mail!"

hehehe

Reaction score
Well, the parents argument is that EW is structured, which is apparently what kids of that young age need when watching programming.
Well, THAT I agree with--if the kids like structure, then Elmo's World is a better choice. :smile:

Also, they like Mr. Noodle or something.
Hey, I do too! I'm one of the few around here (apparently) who actually LIKED Elmo's World... but I LOVE Elmo the Musical. (That has GOT to be a part of the next SSL productions.) :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, the parents argument is that EW is structured, which is apparently what kids of that young age need when watching programming.
I'll be honest, I'm glad my parents never thought that. :wink:

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I saw the Space Pizza episode today. It was pretty good. Darth Vader Chicken was very funny.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the parents argument is that EW is structured, which is apparently what kids of that young age need when watching programming. Also, they like Mr. Noodle or something.
Structured=Formulaic. Structured also = Rainman freaking out that he's going to miss Judge Wapner. What EW really is? it's basically all the approaches Sesame Street takes to teach a subject shown at once all on one subject. Adult human actors teaching a subject comedically, talking to kids about a subject, showing a cartoon about the subject, showing Muppets talking about a subject, showing a filmed insert about a kid explaining the subject.... it's all what Sesame Street did naturally. Though, obviously the main show uses them all in a single episode to talk about separate subjects. it's almost like a bet they couldn't do a condensed version of Sesame Street in 15 minutes.

I still say Elmo the Musical is SST's way of trying to capitalize on the un-necessarily un-necessary popularity of Glee, Smash, and other musical-based entertainment projects that just kills good music.
Smash BOMBED. Glee's like the only thing that's still moderately successful, and let's not forget... Glee came out of High School Musical. So if there's anything to really complain about, it's HSM.

Plus... let's face it. Elmo The Musical is better than all of them.

Well, THAT I agree with--if the kids like structure, then Elmo's World is a better choice.
Kids don't like structure. The parents want kids to have structure and routine for no better reason than raising a generation of Rainman/ people that freak the heck out if something unexpected happens.

Also, one or two people thought the idea of Velvet was ridiculous. I mean, didn't Elmo have Shade, which was like a curtain, almost, sort-of? At least Velvet talks. Door, Drawer and TV don't speak (English anyway) and all Computer had his dated "Elmo has mail!"
Here's why Elmo's World sucked in a Nut Shell. He didn't interact. It was all him talking to the audience and inanimate furniture and silly adults that are mute. The only time you have anyone answer Elmo back is when he's talking to the puppet personified subject. And most of the time when they're talking, it's narrating a cutscene of Elmo. Velvet seems to be the overprotective mother figure of the segment, and frankly, she's a lot more fun than shade ever was. OOh! Shade sticks sometimes. What a trickster. :rolleyes:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Hey, I do too! I'm one of the few around here (apparently) who actually LIKED Elmo's World... but I LOVE Elmo the Musical. (That has GOT to be a part of the next SSL productions.) :smile:
Lol it already is. In the new show "Can't Stop Singing".