Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 43

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even in the NY Times article about the bit, Carol-Lynn said they wanted to replace EW, but they knew it was so popular, so finding something worth the money replacing it was a hard decision.
Yeah. EW was something they painted themselves into a corner with. It seems to me it was popular with the wrong demographic, and it was pulling the show down to the pre-3 year old group that wouldn't get anything out of the show, thus making all the focuses on math, reading, natural sciences, and engineering (especially engineering) seem like they're talking to a brick wall. If Sesame Street loses the 1-2 year old demographic, that's actually a good thing because they're not part of the demographic they should have anyway. And pandering to that age group needs only a strobe light and cartoonish sound effects. Sesame Street needs to play to a 3-5 audience, and ETM is what that audience deserves.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
...however, I do draw the line at calling them idiots, as one person did. I don't AGREE with the parents, but I wouldn't go so far to flat-out insult them like that.
I apologize. That was me. I'm sorry I reacted like that. I just don't want SW listening to the complainers and do away with Elmo the Musical like they did with the Katy Perry bit.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I apologize. That was me. I'm sorry I reacted like that. I just don't want SW listening to the complainers and do away with Elmo the Musical like they did with the Katy Perry bit.
Well, the ETM complaining isn't as big and seems only limited to their Facebook page. The "Hot and Cold" bit was on YouTube, which meant the outrage could be spread easier through the Internet. Let's be honest, not many people would check SST's Facebook page than their YT channel, especially if the latter has a celebrity appearance.

Also, the Katy Perry thing was about inappropriateness; parents saying kids shouldn't see that on TV. ETM is on the other end of the spectrum, where the complains thus far about it are kids who loved EW aren't so hip to the new segment. It's not something that parents fear is bad for them, just kids missing something they liked.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Well, the ETM complaining isn't as big and seems only limited to their Facebook page. The "Hot and Cold" bit was on YouTube, which meant the outrage could be spread easier through the Internet. Let's be honest, not many people would check SST's Facebook page than their YT channel, especially if the latter has a celebrity appearance.

Also, the Katy Perry thing was about inappropriateness; parents saying kids shouldn't see that on TV. ETM is on the other end of the spectrum, where the complains thus far about it are kids who loved EW aren't so hip to the new segment. It's not something that parents fear is bad for them, just kids missing something they liked.
Hopefully, they'll get to love ETM. After all, all of us don't like EW, but love ETM.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, I like what I've seen. I've yet to experience a full segment.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Also, I don't know about you guys, but I hope they keep doing the repeats like they did last season. Don't change anything in the episode and keep the same segments. But, apparently they're not doing that with the repeats of season 39 episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
ETM is on the other end of the spectrum, where the complains thus far about it are kids who loved EW aren't so hip to the new segment. It's not something that parents fear is bad for them, just kids missing something they liked.
The thing that bugs me is, these parents clearly didn't get the memo that EW will still exist in repeats and will remain online. Not to mention how none of the DVD's are going away anytime soon (unless it's about availability from switching from Genius to WBHV). EW has been around since 1998. No other Sesame Street segment lasted that long. JTE, Monster Clubhouse, Global Grover... all gone now. No complaints there. Figures they'd pick the worst of it. I still say EW should be its own show on Sprout or something, like it is internationally.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Also, I don't know about you guys, but I hope they keep doing the repeats like they did last season. Don't change anything in the episode and keep the same segments. But, apparently they're not doing that with the repeats of season 39 episodes.
There's only like 4 episodes from season 39 airing with new inserts, and that's part of the actual 26 episodes. The other episodes re-airing are just re-airings; no new numbers, just episodes being repeated like shows normally do.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
There's only like 4 episodes from season 39 airing with new inserts, and that's part of the actual 26 episodes. The other episodes re-airing are just re-airings; no new numbers, just episodes being repeated like shows normally do.
Well, that's good.