How can someone hate Elmo?

SSLFan

Reaction score
But the problem is that's what has happened. :wink:
Eh...I blame the writing. It's not like that can't write more Big Bird stories (or even insert skits...come on now) for him. Or...dare I say it...maybe "research" showed he wasn't a favorite anymore? I don't know. I guess it's the changing times I guess.

But yes, there was a time when Big Bird and Elmo shared the spotlight. Heck, there was a time when even though these two guys were considered SS's "main characters", everyone still got equal air time. That's what I miss.

And yes, overexposure is what annoyed most people about Elmo. Being a kid mostly from the EW generation, I liked the fact that prior to that, no character appeared in EVERY episode either. Even when Big Bird was popular, he wasn't even in every episode. That showed how much of an ensemble show SS was, and everyone one - Muppet and human - got fair play.

I like Elmo. Just in small doses.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
Im not a massive fan of elmo its not that i hate him i just think he's overexposed

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh...I blame the writing. It's not like that can't write more Big Bird stories (or even insert skits...come on now) for him. Or...dare I say it...maybe "research" showed he wasn't a favorite anymore? I don't know. I guess it's the changing times I guess.
Kids basically like any character on the show. It almost feels like deep down, somehow someone's underestimating Carol Spinney's ability to perform Big Bird because of his age or something... but they had more Big Bird episodes this season than the last few. But for that matter, there's less and less Ernie and Bert as well. I wonder if the Muppets stuff gets in the way, but let's face it... Ernie and Bert were the FIRST of the Sesame Street Muppets, existing before the show did. Big Bird is iconic and all, but it seems the attention B&E get went to Germany.

Also, I noticed something... in the 70's and 80's there was a LOT of popularity for Grover. He shared his, but there were a LOT of kids books about him specifically.

ProboSowa

Reaction score
I grew up on Elmo and loved him in the day, so I'll always be fond of the little guy. However I do understand why older generations are annoyed with his dominating presence, which is among the reasons why I think it's important to appreciate all of the characters.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Please do, I'd be very interested in reading that.
Here you go. Just zip to the 4:35 mark and listen.

As for Caroll's ability to play the bird, he's told me in person and in interviews we've all seen "I'm going to keep doing it until I can't hold that bird's head up anymore." When my wife and I visited the set in May 2011, he was still very much active!

I too think the writers have something to do with more Elmo/less everyone else...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here you go. Just zip to the 4:35 mark and listen.

As for Caroll's ability to play the bird, he's told me in person and in interviews we've all seen "I'm going to keep doing it until I can't hold that bird's head up anymore." When my wife and I visited the set in May 2011, he was still very much active!

I too think the writers have something to do with more Elmo/less everyone else...
Boy oh boy, who haven't those people interviewed? Lol.

Yeah, there's been a lot rumors circulating as of late that Caroll hasn't physically been able to perform Big Bird hardly anymore, but I don't know if there's any truth to any of them; I DO know for a fact if any time Big Bird is roller skating, that definitely is Caroll, as Matt has said he draws the line at roller skating, and that's really the only thing that he can't do as Big Bird, so whenever Big Bird needs to roller skate, that certainly is Caroll.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Or...dare I say it...maybe "research" showed he wasn't a favorite anymore? I don't know. I guess it's the changing times I guess.
Why would any of the other characters be favorites when the show went out of there way to down play them? I'd be highly skeptical of any such "research." Lol

SSLFan

Reaction score
Boy oh boy, who haven't those people interviewed? Lol.

Yeah, there's been a lot rumors circulating as of late that Caroll hasn't physically been able to perform Big Bird hardly anymore, but I don't know if there's any truth to any of them
Yeah, I've thought about that as well. Maybe he can perform Big Bird, but not as much as he used to? Compared to the physically demanding episodes of days past, not many episodes really call for Big Bird these days, so maybe that is good to Mr. Spinney's advantage? Still, we have Matt, so whatever episodes Caroll can't do, Matt could easily fill in. Like I said, it has to be a "writing/reasearch/ cirriculm thing" - whatever that may be.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Kids basically like any character on the show. It almost feels like deep down, somehow someone's underestimating Carol Spinney's ability to perform Big Bird because of his age or something... but they had more Big Bird episodes this season than the last few. But for that matter, there's less and less Ernie and Bert as well. I wonder if the Muppets stuff gets in the way, but let's face it... Ernie and Bert were the FIRST of the Sesame Street Muppets, existing before the show did. Big Bird is iconic and all, but it seems the attention B&E get went to Germany.

Also, I noticed something... in the 70's and 80's there was a LOT of popularity for Grover. He shared his, but there were a LOT of kids books about him specifically.
*Sigh*...I too dislike what has happened to Bert & Ernie, with Steve being away and all. But that's topic for another time.

As far as Grover, does anyone see those Elmo-Grover debates? Like some fans feel Elmo replaced Grover as the "cute" monster on the show. Any Grover fans wanna elaborate on that?

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Quite frankly, I love Elmo. But maybe the reason he's been pushed to the front is because Kevin Clash is now the head puppeteer of Sesame Street that they gave him more time? Btw, What is necrophilia? I like when Elmo does interact with an adult audience also, you can sometimes hear Kevin start to laugh with his own voice because it shows he's having a great time.:laugh: