Engineering Conspiracy?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate to go all conspiracy theorist again, but I'm really curious about all of this engineering hype that is being fed to kids as of late...

I mean, when Sesame Workshop announced that one of the core educational goals for Season 42 was going to be engineering, people were raising their eyebrows and scratching their heads at that... were kids really ready to be taught engineering? ARE kids ready to be taught engineering? I even remember one of those late night entertainment news shows asking Carol-Lynn Parente about that, and she said that kids are, indeed, ready to learn about engineering.

I suppose that's all well and good, we know Sesame Workshop puts a lot of research into the cirriculum for the show, and if the research showed kids were ready for engineering, then they're ready for engineering... then here recently, a new YouTube video with Bill Nye the Science Guy was posted that left me really confused: he went on and on about how "wrong" it is for parents to NOT teach their children about evolution, because apparently, evolution is responsible for engineering, and if parents don't teach their children about evolution, then they won't develop an interest in engineering, and if they don't have an interest in engineering, then apparently the future of mankind will be in trouble, because apparently there's a big need for engineers for right now, but not enough interest in the field.

So is that what all of this is about? A need for engineers, so people have decided to try and get kids interested in it so they'll want to be engineers when they grow up?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I question the logic of attracting toddlers to the advanced sciences. Space travel is a shadow of its former hopes and dreams. I really only see infrastructure development as something that should be mandatory but is always underfunded (but smaller government is better, of course). The fact is, you need to be attracting the middle and high-school students. I'm not saying they'll be prepared for it in the state of current education, but you could at least get them interested. Internships and apprenticeships need to make a comeback.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The fact is, you need to be attracting the middle and high-school students.
The problem is, the younger the kids are, the more likely they'll be able to really absorb what it is they learn, and will keep with them as they get older... I was really displeased with once I graduated from school, suddenly they started teaching second languages to elementary school kids, which they used to only do for high schoolers: that's really hurt me in the long run, I had two years of Spanish in "high school", but I barely even understand the language, and I was only able to memorize a few of your more basic words, nouns, phrases, sentences, questions, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I question the logic of attracting toddlers to the advanced sciences. Space travel is a shadow of its former hopes and dreams. I really only see infrastructure development as something that should be mandatory but is always underfunded (but smaller government is better, of course). The fact is, you need to be attracting the middle and high-school students. I'm not saying they'll be prepared for it in the state of current education, but you could at least get them interested. Internships and apprenticeships need to make a comeback.
I agree completely. It's bad enough Sesame Street's target demo is 3 year olds and they just came from the quote unquote "Dumbed down" era. Now they're teaching WAY too much in topics way too sophisticated for minds that young to follow. If Sesame Street were still a 4-6 year old program like it started, there shouldn't be such a problem.

Sesame Street's basic curriculum has always been basic math and reading skills with some social subjects, and sometimes they pepper very basic things about science and health and like that. But now they feel the need to have initiatives, and they're pushing the more fundamental portions of early learning to the wayside for more complex ideas that work better in shows specifically designed for and specializing in a specific subject.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, apparently, the reason behind STEM is because America is behind in math and science. I don't mind it, unless they're all the same story. There's a video of kids learning what a pulley is from a SG 2.0 bit, so I guess it's working.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think Sesame is supporting the arts and sciences. That's where education should be. For some reason we're cranking out more attorneys and American Idol contestants than thinkers and innovators.

I appreciate Bill Nye's work, but his tactics are too heavy-handed toward the very people he's been trying to create a dialog. Creationism is a tradition of spirituality and faith. Evolution is a science of practicality and fact. They need not be at odds.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, apparently, the reason behind STEM is because America is behind in math and science. I don't mind it, unless they're all the same story. There's a video of kids learning what a pulley is from a SG 2.0 bit, so I guess it's working.
The one thing I must question... how come there aren't more science programs on PBS? Curious George has that sort of STEM focus to it, but they specialize in it, so it isn't quite as awkward or forced. But there really isn't anything for older kids... Maybe Ruff Ruffman. Seems older kids should have more of a STEM focus in their programming. At least that's what Discovery Channel did (and what CN did when they basically stole their 2004 line up).

I have to say, the STEM isn't as bothersome as the natural sciences based curriculum. If I saw one more episode that's a guessing game about how animals were different from each other.... I mean, that episode where Bert looked for the pigeon turned into YET another Elmo episode was the last straw.

I appreciate Bill Nye's work, but his tactics are too heavy-handed toward the very people he's been trying to create a dialog. Creationism is a tradition of spirituality and faith. Evolution is a science of practicality and fact. They need not be at odds.
I don't want to go into a deep discussion about it, but when it comes to Creationism, I see why science minded people are up in arms about it. Every religion has a creation story, even Native American beliefs have them. But it is a hold over from when humans were trying to find answers to why they were there that some people take a little too seriously. There are a LOT of religious people who believe in evolution. It doesn't weaken their faith in the slightest.

That's the thing about the human experience. We SHOULD be constantly out there finding out answers. Some we may never find, and that's just the way it is.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The one thing I must question... how come there aren't more science programs on PBS? Curious George has that sort of STEM focus to it, but they specialize in it, so it isn't quite as awkward or forced. But there really isn't anything for older kids... Maybe Ruff Ruffman. Seems older kids should have more of a STEM focus in their programming. At least that's what Discovery Channel did (and what CN did when they basically stole their 2004 line up).

I have to say, the STEM isn't as bothersome as the natural sciences based curriculum. If I saw one more episode that's a guessing game about how animals were different from each other.... I mean, that episode where Bert looked for the pigeon turned into YET another Elmo episode was the last straw.

I don't want to go into a deep discussion about it, but when it comes to Creationism, I see why science minded people are up in arms about it. Every religion has a creation story, even Native American beliefs have them. But it is a hold over from when humans were trying to find answers to why they were there that some people take a little too seriously. There are a LOT of religious people who believe in evolution. It doesn't weaken their faith in the slightest.

That's the thing about the human experience. We SHOULD be constantly out there finding out answers. Some we may never find, and that's just the way it is.
Exploration can strengthen faith. It's a shame there's a culture bent on denying access to that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a culture that's been around for centuries. I really think there's room for science in faith. But we need more science education anyway, and there's somewhat of a lack of it for older audiences. Bill Nye needs to have another show.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad Sid the Science Kid's pretty much over.

As an older viewer, I'd love if the Powers that Brodcast Stuff (PBS) could maybe bring back The Edison Twins with their Beaker-looking lab guy animation explanations at the end of each episode.
*Waits to see who else posts they remember that classic Disney Channel show.