How can someone hate Elmo?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe too much of Elmo can annoy people? Nower days it's nothing but Elmo lots of the times and no stories of the other Sesame Street characters.
Too much of anything's annoying. I really hated when Disney forcefully marketed Winnie the Pooh over the characters Walt actually took credit for creating. The loveable character was lost in a sea of ugly old women sweatshirts and Pooh dressed up as one of the 101 Dalmatians plush toys. You literally couldn't even find Mickey at a Disney Store. But the projects (most of them anyway) made the character shine during that period.

I feel the same with Elmo. Sure, now they took the hint and we're seeing more Cookie Monsters, Ernies and Berts, and even Big Birds in our Sesame Street merchandise. Elmo does have a ubiquitous presence in the show still... but other characters are catching up.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I like Elmo. I grew up with him and watched Elmo's World. I also watched Elmo in Grouchland and Cinderelmo both on VHS.
Why would anyone hate this cute, furry, little red monster?

I don't know why people would post up many videos of evil Elmo on Youtube like these two.

That doesn't mean that Big Bird can't have the spotlight anymore.
Big Bird and Elmo can share as the main characters of the show. Besides, Elmo will be loved by many future generations to come, as well as Big Bird. :laugh::wisdom:
(No offense to any Old School Sesame Street fans. I like Old School, too.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*Old man voice*

Back in mah day, wen we didn' have any fanceh-danceh computehs, there was a street called Sesameh, where there lived a big bird named Big Bird... now, wen I wuz a youngen, Big Bird was everybody's first best friend... yes indeedy, everyday, I knew I'd be havin' fun with my best friend Big Bird... Big Bird was always there fer us, and he never forced his comp'neh on us...

Then that little red fur ball came along...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Elmo's a great character if he's treated as one. When he just stands there and talks to the audience with no conflict, he's basically just a host. But there's a LOT of times when they do his character justice... Elmo Saves Christmas, Elmo in Grouchland... virtually any episode where Zoe has her pet rock, Rocko. Even very early sketches when Elmo was more of a 3 year old monster than a 3 year old that happens to be a monster. He shouted a lot, and in Monster Hits, he was quite annoying for the other monsters with hilarious results.

The problem is simple... When Sesame Street started, Big Bird (let's say somewhere between 4-6) was the target audience and the target audience's sympathetic character. Now, Sesame Street's more for 3 year olds... Elmo's a 3 year old, kids sympathize with him more.

Of course, recasting Grover and Cookie Monster helped BIG time. Cookie is still pretty popular (though he didn't appear in the show that much this season). Only thing that bugs me is that Ernie and Bert only exist as the claymation version that doesn't even get shown in every episode.
I like Rocko, because it shows how in spite of what he thinks of Rocko, he's still a good friend to Zoe and will humor her.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
:oops: Sorry about that.
Sometimes, I have trouble with what I'm saying.correctly.
Oh you didn't say anything wrong. In a perfect world yes they could share the spotlight. That's just not the way they're choosing to play it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There a re a lot of reasons...the overexposure bit is the one I thought of first. Even Ed Christie said that about the character in an interview (I can provide a link to anyone interested).
Please do, I'd be very interested in reading that.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Kevin Clash is a remarkable performer. I always enjoy Elmo OFF the Street more than on the Street, because Clash does so well in off-the-cuff interviews.

But to me, Elmo on Sesame Street represents the dumbing down of the show. He rose to popularity when everything started becoming politically correct and sterilized. "Oh, Cookie Monster is promoting unhealthy eating habits!" "Slapstick is bad because children will imitate it!" "Oscar is too mean!" So on and so forth.