Muppet Legos

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The Muppet LEGO project over at http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11050 is my proposal. It's currently at 950 supporters. When it hits 1,000, it triggers something at LEGO HQ that has them do a sort of preliminary review where they'll give you "official comments." Sometimes that's just "you're doing a great job, keep up the good work," sometimes it's something like "this is from an NC-17 movie, there's no way we can do something like that." So it'll be interesting to see what they have to say when it reaches that point.

This weekend I updated the proposal with the following custom-made minifigures, including:

Gonzo (Purple Tux)
Gonzo (Stuntman)
Camilla
Random Chicken
Sam Eagle
Swedish Chef (he turned out the best!)
Statler
Waldorf

...keep in mind that these are just ideas to illustrate what the Muppet LEGO line could be like...not necessarily how LEGO would actually do it. There are some barriers for this to make it into production, but not nearly as many as some people think. LEGO and Disney already have a good working relationship, and they've made some changes in production that put more new pieces (hairpieces, heads etc) than in the past. So things like a new head for Kermit instead of a standard minifigure head wouldn't really be a problem for them.

Anyway. If you have any questions, post them here...if you haven't registered and supported the proposal yet, do it. Even as a frequent participant on the LEGO CUUSOO website, I don't get spammed by them or anything. If you're interested at ALL in seeing how LEGO would make Muppets, you should check it out and vote.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Actually I was just in Downtown Disney...and bought 3 Star Wars lego's figures in a set...not magnets, not keychains....just the figures....so I know they do it. We can hope can't we?
The biggest problem for LEGO when it comes to stuff like that is that most companies register their licenses for "action figures" separately from their licenses for "blocks." So even though occasionally you can buy a three-pack of Star Wars LEGO minifigures, usually it's in a set that has at least some building element. It's different when it's their own toys, like the blind-packaged minifigures, because they don't have to license it to themselves.

In any case, even though for me the LEGO minifigures are the heart of the proposal, there would have to be some kind of building sets to make it all work.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I wonder though... would Muppets be able to pull a Spongebob and be regular sized Legos, or will they be treated like Winnie the Pooh and be the preschool friendly Duplos?
That could be another barrier for some people...I mean, ideally, I'd love to see a Sesame Street line that would be "for grownups," but you know that if they ever did anything with Sesame, it'd be a Duplo line.

That's a barrier with the Muppets in general though--how do you make people understand/remember that they aren't just for kids, but for adults and whole families? That's also why I wanted to make as many custom minifigures as possible, and the LDD (LEGO Digital Designer) sets like the Muppet Theater, Swedish Chef's Kitchen, and Muppet Labs....show people the potential that the line could have, and maybe LEGO will consider it as a "regular" line, and not just a Duplo one.

galagr

Reaction score
This is a great idea! I support all the way! C'mon guys, let's get this made! ESPECIALLY if an Electric Mayhem set is made. I would buy that in a heartbeat!

EDIT: And Lips! Don't forget Lips!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I'm glad they made a Lord of the Rings line.

Oh, not so much because I'm a fan. Just because they had the golden opportunity to make a Lego Legolas! :hungry:

Gonzo

Reaction score
This is a great idea! I support all the way! C'mon guys, let's get this made! ESPECIALLY if an Electric Mayhem set is made. I would buy that in a heartbeat!

EDIT: And Lips! Don't forget Lips!
I can't STAND Lips!!! But I did make a LEGO sketch of him last Sunday. I'm sure I'll make a version of him soon. :smile:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Personally, I'm glad they made a Lord of the Rings line.

Oh, not so much because I'm a fan. Just because they had the golden opportunity to make a Lego Legolas! :hungry:
Lego Legolas is pretty awesome.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
As someone who works for LEGO on a freelance basis, I would LOVE to see Muppet LEGO. Firstly, because it would be AWESOME!! Secondly, it would be AWESOME. Thirdly, I may get to illustrate them one day :smile:

And whilst this means very little, I know that there is a lot of love for the Muppets at LEGO and it was because of the Muppets that I was hired by them in the first place. The folk who I have dealt with over the years at LEGO are some of the most awesome people I've ever had the pleasure of working with and I have complete faith that if they could make this work they will!