FanFic Library Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Dunno, it was an image at the bottom of your last post here.
It was a chocolate chip cookie that looked to be the size of a pizza.

Heh, it's just a matter of time before someone writes a fic about the harem Scooter has accumulated in the various series here. But even then, I'd be startled if Janken was included. (But weirder things have happened; a German writer is now using one of my Darkwing Duck OCs in her fics with my blessing.)

What are the rules of the road for using other writers' OCs or continuities here? I've always assumed it's hands-off unless you have permission.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
It was a chocolate chip cookie that looked to be the size of a pizza.

Heh, it's just a matter of time before someone writes a fic about the harem Scooter has accumulated in the various series here. But even then, I'd be startled if Janken was included. (But weirder things have happened; a German writer is now using one of my Darkwing Duck OCs in her fics with my blessing.)

What are the rules of the road for using other writers' OCs or continuities here? I've always assumed it's hands-off unless you have permission.
I know what you mean. If someone decided to use my OCs characters without my permission, I would be so not happy. Just saying that they must have permission before taking our OCs.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've seen people using my OCs without permission occasionally, and that's kind of annoying, but I only get miffed if they abuse the character and/or don't acknowledge copyright. Yet I don't mind at all if people draw my OCs, or anything based on my fanfic without permission; in fact it's like a gift. Odd double standard, isn't that?

Still, it's always safest to ask.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
1 When it comes to actual OC's, yes, it's encouraged you ask first before using another person's characters in your own fics. Which I myself have done in building my massive monster roster that I am now currently in the process of individual write-ups for eventual art/illustration commissions, all while acknowledging the creator and fic they're appropriately sourced from.

2 As far as event continuity, that's a different thing. We sort of play off of each other's fics at times, whether with subtle references or with outright borrowing. That's pretty much how we came up with the main original mapping of Hensonville back in the summers of 2004 and 2005. If you've read my MFG fic, you'll note there's stuff there that was event-continuity at the time like Beth's wedding and Lisa's trip to Israel. And of course due to the years, that's allowed the city to evolve and have new stuff added to it like the warehouse district where Wearing O' The Green took place or the HV Mall where some of the original shops are now located.

Hope this helps. :jim:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
I've seen people using my OCs without permission occasionally, and that's kind of annoying, but I only get miffed if they abuse the character and/or don't acknowledge copyright. Yet I don't mind at all if people draw my OCs, or anything based on my fanfic without permission; in fact it's like a gift. Odd double standard, isn't that?

Still, it's always safest to ask.
In my Get Smart writing, my OCs are heavily used. Now, with that said, many of them are used with my permission, as the writers are friends and we've shared characters across; BUT I've also seen writers on FF.net used them, which I'm thinking and guessing they think those are the actual show characters (which they aren't), so they are using my OCs without permission.

I'm with Slackbot on this - I'm pretty relaxed on people using my OCs as long as 1. they aren't mistreating them (that's my job) and 2. they tell me where the fic is and then I get to read. In that vein, I also link to said story (especially if I like it) or incorporate it in series.

I try to ask first if possible, though it depends on communication and contact.

Hubert

Reaction score
Just wanted to point out an error on the index...Jaz's "Fozzie, Fozzie, #9" shouldn't be under the oneshot category under her name, as it isn't a oneshot...(at least by my definition, it isn't.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Dunno what "your" definition of a oneshot is Hubert, but Jaz is the author of that story and she's the one who called it a oneshot, so there it got placed.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.