Get ready for some Muppet nightmare fuel

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Thinking about it now, maybe this was intended. Okay, okay, hear me out. Most of you guys probably remembers that weird Big Boy comic that promoted the first Muppet Movie, right?

The illustrator of that comic got a lot of bashing from Muppet fans, that I really think were a bit harsh at times. Truthfully, the odd way that illustrator Manny Stallman drew his comics were his style. In a way, he's sort of like Gonzo. He's an artist, but a very different one. In fact, one of Stallman's colleagues remembers an incident in which Stallman got a nasty letter from a Big Boy customer about his illustration style. The letter basically said "please change your style", and apparently it really crushed poor Stallman. I think it even made him cry a little bit.

So what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Well, there is a possibility that whoever was in charge of this cover was just another Manny Stallman. Maybe this weird design is just someone's unique style. How it wound up on a bootleg DVD is anybody's guess. I don't know, maybe somebody lazily got the image off of Google.

And here's a look at Stallman's comic:
http://toughpigs.com/journalbigboy01.htm

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm sorry but this artwork holds no merit at all. Like the title of it says it's one big Muppet Nightmare! And actually I like those comics better myself! No their not great but their not horrible like this cover mess is. LOL!

Drtooth

Reaction score
So what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Well, there is a possibility that whoever was in charge of this cover was just another Manny Stallman. Maybe this weird design is just someone's unique style. How it wound up on a bootleg DVD
That's giving it too much credit. I've seen my fair share of odd bootleggs in my day. My favorite was a Chef from South park sticker that was Caucasian! Even the stickers made out of Chicken Little Screen grabs with the caption "Sea Life" on the cover.

I guess whoever did this traced the artwork, got lazy, and copied a Kermit. And for some reason just copied or redrew Animal's Head on Pepe. If this truly is a bootleg, that's up to debate. It does seem to have official copyright info on it. And they could just as easily photocopied the poster anyway. That's what most bootleg DVD's do.

However, when they released it on Blu-Ray, they thankfully... nay... mercifully just took the original artwork and added Chinese to it.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Wow...I never noticed just how bad the actual cover was to begin with O_0

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow...I never noticed just how bad the actual cover was to begin with O_0
Poser puppets.

Yeah. MFS was the first Muppet movie to not have an illustrated movie poster.

At least they weren't half taking off their glasses and staring at the camera. Or air kissing like an Italian Chef.