The Major League Baseball Thread

Hubert

Reaction score
A discussion about the trade deadline with charlietheowl in another thread inspired me. Don't know if there ever has been an MLB thread (I know there was a thread for the 2006 season), but I thought it might be good to have.

So...anyone else a baseball fan?

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I sure am! As it so happens, I was actually at the Cincinnati Reds game last night. Unfortunately, they lost even after that ten game winning streak. I guess all good things must come to an end.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'll move our discussion here so as to not spam the other thread too much.

It would be hilarious if Ryan Dempster had two trades fall apart in a week, because that would be the Cubs didn't move their best piece.

Hubert

Reaction score
I'll move our discussion here so as to not spam the other thread too much.

It would be hilarious if Ryan Dempster had two trades fall apart in a week, because that would be the Cubs didn't move their best piece.
Yeah...it seems that the Cubs and Yankees are now talking, however Dempster has to OK any trade, and he MIGHT consider the Yanks if there's no chance of an LA deal. Funny thing is that Soriano also would love to go to the Dodgers...what is it with them?

The Twins seem to be getting active. Their discussing trading Denard Span to the Reds and Jared Burton with the Rangers. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next 2 hours.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The Twins should be active, since they are terrible, and need as many young players as they can get. I doubt their front office could recognize talent if it slapped them in the face though (trading Liriano for some stuff the White Sox found in their basement). At least Texas has plenty of young talent for them to try and poach.

(PS: One of Texas' top prospects, infielder Mike Olt, went to my high school. I never really knew him, but it's cool that someone who could play in the majors came from my hometown.)

Hubert

Reaction score
I feel like my eyes are just moving back and forth and back and forth watching the Dempster rumors bounce around. The Dodgers have him...no wait, the Yankees are in serious discussions...no, we were wrong, the Yankee talks weren't that serious...the Dodgers are out...now they're back in...Dempster will accept trade to Yanks, Dodgers or Rangers...now the Rangers are in the background. I wouldn't be half surprised if they mess around and don't even trade him.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Your Pirates landed Gaby Sanchez from the Marlins. Looks like they are trying to collect other teams' failed prospects by grabbing him and Snider today.

Hubert

Reaction score
Yep...I see that. I'm really excited about that. He was an All Star the past two years, if he can just get back to what he did the last two years he will be a great pickup for the Pirates, if not for this year possibly in the next couple years. Though I am wondering, why is it that he got demoted to AAA? I know he was slumping and I think it may have had something to do with Carlos Lee coming to the Marlins, but I just have a hard time understanding how someone who did so well in his career suddenly gets demoted so quickly.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
His slash lines are terrible this year (.205/.250/.306), and that wouldn't be acceptable for a backup shortstop, not to mention a starting first baseman. I don't know why he fell off a cliff like that, perhaps he had a hard time adjusting to the Marlins new stadium or something. But he's essentially like buying a lottery ticket; he works out you have a relatively cheap first baseman for a couple years, if not, it's not like anything much was given up for him.

Hubert

Reaction score
Well...they did give up the 33rd overall draft pick in next year's draft as part of the deal...which I'm not completely satisfied with. I'm just surprised that the Marlins gave up on Sanchez so quickly to send him to the minors and trade him. He's still relatively young and if he turns things around he could benefit them for years. We also got some Kyle Kaminska guy in the deal, some minor league reliever. I really doubt he'll turn out to be much though.

Now the Reds grabbed Broxton to bolster their bullpen even more. And I guess Soriano is staying put. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the last 15 minutes...some of the best trades have been made right up to the last second in the past.