"I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" documentary in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperPot

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Dave from Copper Pot here. WOW. Your support is INCREDIBLE.

I think you guys pretty much have all the answers you need here--yes, if we don't reach our goal (let's not think that way!!!), your credit card is not charged. It will not be charged until we reach our goal (let's think THAT WAY!!!).

I should point out that even if we do reach our goal, it actually will take us more than $100,000 to make the film, so you should keep telling people about it (though the idea of rebuilding Bruno is an awesome one!). Plus, the more money we have, the more footage we can license and the more footage you can see!

Seriously, thank you so much for your support. We really took all of your comments about seeing footage, pictures, etc. to heart when we were planning our Kickstarter campaign. We hope you're enjoying seeing all the photos and videos that we're releasing on Twitter (@Copper_Pot). I also wanted to let you know that at the end of each day, we're updating our production journal so you can get all of the I AM BIG BIRD goodies here:
https://copperpotpictures.jux.com/i-am-big-bird-production-journal/

It's important to say that while we certainly appreciate the big pledges, really every pledge helps us get to the goal, so if you are able to help us out on any level, we truly appreciate it. And we REALLY appreciate you telling other people about it--especially people that aren't as big Muppet fans as you all (and we) are. In order for the campaign to succeed, we need to reach as many people as possible.

I'll check back in on the boards during the campaign, but please be patient if it takes us a few days to get back to you--this campaign has really flooded our inboxes! As always, feel free to contact us here: http://www.iambigbird.com/contact-us/

Thanks for the support guys. This is awesome!

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I've donated more than I should have! And I'm trying to get everyone I know to as well!

I can't wait till I can see the film. It's going to be amazing!

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I noticed in the kickstarter campaign that there is a list for both a DVD and a 2-disc special edition DVD set. If there is a 2-disc set, what cn be expected for that one other than the single DVD?
I've been wondering that too.

zns

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Dave from Copper Pot here. WOW. Your support is INCREDIBLE.

I think you guys pretty much have all the answers you need here--yes, if we don't reach our goal (let's not think that way!!!), your credit card is not charged. It will not be charged until we reach our goal (let's think THAT WAY!!!).

I should point out that even if we do reach our goal, it actually will take us more than $100,000 to make the film, so you should keep telling people about it (though the idea of rebuilding Bruno is an awesome one!). Plus, the more money we have, the more footage we can license and the more footage you can see!

Seriously, thank you so much for your support. We really took all of your comments about seeing footage, pictures, etc. to heart when we were planning our Kickstarter campaign. We hope you're enjoying seeing all the photos and videos that we're releasing on Twitter (@Copper_Pot). I also wanted to let you know that at the end of each day, we're updating our production journal so you can get all of the I AM BIG BIRD goodies here:
https://copperpotpictures.jux.com/i-am-big-bird-production-journal/

It's important to say that while we certainly appreciate the big pledges, really every pledge helps us get to the goal, so if you are able to help us out on any level, we truly appreciate it. And we REALLY appreciate you telling other people about it--especially people that aren't as big Muppet fans as you all (and we) are. In order for the campaign to succeed, we need to reach as many people as possible.

I'll check back in on the boards during the campaign, but please be patient if it takes us a few days to get back to you--this campaign has really flooded our inboxes! As always, feel free to contact us here: http://www.iambigbird.com/contact-us/

Thanks for the support guys. This is awesome!
Everything you have done to make this documentary has been more wonderful than words can express. I just want to personally say that Caroll Spinney has meant the world to me and to see this documentary is one of my biggest ambitions for 2013. Big Bird has always been my favorite Sesame Street Muppet, but the man who is "The Bird" has given me all the hopes and dreams I need to where I want to be in life. If I could just spend a day talking with Caroll and getting to know him personally that would make me the luckiest man in the world. Please let Caroll personally know that that is how I feel about him and his work. Thank you Copper Pot Pictures and God bless.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I hope I learn because of this movie, or before it comes out, is if Caroll Spinney ever actually performed Sam thr Robot. When I first got the internet I saw Sam listed as a Caroll Spinney character in a Muppet performer guide online, then I saw all sorts of sources that list Jerry Nelson as the performer. I saw one article on Spinney which said that he created Sam and was the "original performer" of the character, but in Sam's introduction episode it's clearly Jerry Nelson performing. I wonder if Spinney was originally intended to perform the character and then didn't, or if it was something else. I know that a picture of Caroll and Debbie with Sam was recently posted on Twitter.

I also hope I can learn how Caroll could see when performing Bruno.

EDIT: Actually I've seen that Copper Pot's Twitter page has added a number of photos recently, some sort of rare. I hope they post an image of Shivers the Penguin soon! I'd also like to see Caroll Spinney's design sketch for Bruno (did Spinney design Shivers as well?).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The company has just recently uploaded some great stuff on youtube, including some awesome behind-the-scenes footage from Follow That Bird:

CopperPot

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Dave from Copper Pot here!

Phew! It's craaaazy these days! I'll try to answer your questions here... let me know if I missed any!

What's going to be on the 2-disc DVD/Blu-Ray available on Kickstarter?
This DVD/Blu-Ray is going to be a Kickstarter exclusive and is going to have all sorts of stuff. Honestly, it's going to be where we release as much of the cleared footage that didn't make it to the film as we can. It's also going to have Caroll's short films, which are pretty cool (we'll be releasing one on Twitter soon!). While we don't have an exact list of what will be on there just yet, I can promise you that if you want to see more of the behind-the-scenes stuff through the years, this is best way to do that.

How did he see when operating Bruno?
I imagine through a scrim (like he uses when he performs Big Bird without a monitor), but we'll ask him!

Did he design Shivers?
That I don't know, but we'll ask him. We WILL be releasing Shivers video during the Kickstarter campaign, so check our Twitter page often (retweeting helps us too!).

Did he perform SAM the Robot before Jerry Nelson took over?
I believe he did, but we will double-check that with him (we haven't gotten to that point of the interview yet!).

What can I do to help?
What, you didn't ask that question? Well, let me answer it for you anyway! The best thing you guys can do to get this movie made, aside from pledge, is to tell everyone you know! Not just Muppet fans! Movie fans! Family! Friends! Tell them all. We're also in the midst of a push to get media coverage of this--so do you know a journalist? A blogger? Radio host? Let us know. We'll talk to anyone and everyone about this campaign--I've said it before, but the only way this will succeed is if people know about it--so anything you can do to help us spread the word is MUCH appreciated!

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have more questions or thoughts about the film--I'll check in again later. Hope you're all enjoying what we're sharing!

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Is the 2 disc dvd/bluray going to be availble to buy when the movie comes out to dvd

CopperPot

Reaction score
Hiya!

This 2-disc special edition is a Kickstarter exclusive. Once the campaign ends, it'll be gone forever!

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.