Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I know this one isn't accurate either as far as characters being owned by what company but I still like it! :smile:

catherine

Reaction score
I like that poster. I don't care what gay people get up too. I use to have two gay singers, I use to like very much( sadly one of them died, it'll be three years since he passed away). I loved them both dearly and I am proud of what they have achieved.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We live in a cable news climate that tells us we have to pick a side on every issue and fight to make everybody else follow only that one viewpoint. It's right or wrong, winning or losing. I believe the world is much more colorful than that.
Out of the entire thread, I think that's the wisest statement. Cable news has torn the country apart, and that needs to stop. But what do they care? They get ratings, and get to influence government to give them bigger and bigger tax cuts on the profits they're making off of ALL of our experiences, even people that agree with them. They're vampires that feed off our emotions and reactionary thoughts, we just need to starve them.

But this subject always pops up and it always delves into the same places it usually does. Some right wing Christian winds up misunderstanding something, complains about being painted with a brush, and responds by painting everyone who disagrees with them with a brush. So I'll say what I have to say and leave.

I do feel that Christians are unfairly treated in our society, but they are by NO means persecuted. The culture war is made up (and the first mudballs are thrown) by the same Cable News pottymouths to get people on their side and sell books to them. Potty Mouths that DON'T care about you or me, or anyone but whoever gets them the biggest tax cut, because they deserve it for getting paid to sit on their ginormous butts and whine all day. How much do you make an hour? Think about that. Not to mention the fact that there are places in the planet where you could be killed for saying you're a Christian... or even the wrong kind of Christian. THAT is persecution.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with believing homosexuality is a sin, but there is EVERYTHING wrong in demagogging it like it's an end all be all. It's a historical footnote that justifies hate. Nay, it's hate that's justified by digging through the bible and finding something that sounds sort of kind of like some hang up. Remember, all the televangelists that spouted all the pious mumbo jumbo they could, all the while getting caught with hookers (male and female) and embezzling money they suckered out of the elderly? Those who claim the word of Christ in this country are the most UnChristian people on the planet.

Third... the paradox is no longer cute. You know the whole "Liberals claim to accept everyone, but they don't except people who have a strong contrast in their beliefs, don't agree to compromise, and that they view as the problem." Here's the thing. liberals dug themselves into a HUGE corner with their whole holier than thou "acceptance" crap. Conservatives don't have to accept anyone because they had the foresight NOT to glom on to that "what could possibly go wrong" clusterfudge. Let's leave it at this. Conservatives don't agree with liberals, and liberals don't agree with conservatives... let's leave it at that and SHUT UP! No one on this board hates anyone else on this board. Stop taking offense in every little thing. Hey BOTH sides want to shove their views down the other, yet they whine as if they aren't.

Fourth... Henson is within their rights to drop out of a company they don't agree with that could potentially make them look bad. But you know what? Chic Fil A has, through it's actions, proven that corporations have TOO much control of our government. They bought influence against the big icky gays that gross their Little Mary Fifties Better-than-you founder with their profits. Our political system is broken for just such a reason. And yet, the fact they bought Proposition 8 the way they did is going to go completely unheeded. Chic's founder can believe whatever backward, Biblical literalism he wants to. The fact that he can use his influence and money to forward those is legal is breaking the Constitution worse than Health Care Reform ever will.

And Finally... I'm saying this as a Christian... Stop acting like the Bible's the end all be all instruction guide to get to Heaven. Swallowing without digesting what the book has to say isn't spirituality. You HAVE to ask questions, you HAVE to go back and say "this doesn't work," and "This doesn't apply anymore." And above all, realize that the Bible was written by observers, not God and Jesus themselves. And above all, it IS a book. When you read a book, chances are, you're interpretation will vary. That's why everyone who watches a movie based on a book HATES the movie. The director interpreted it differently. Meanwhile, we have hundreds of biblical scholars agreeing and disagreeing with each other, finding the true meanings and common ground. Really... ask me this. Why is it so wrong for religion to evolve? It's not written in stone. They're stories, historical or otherwise, that are there to help you shape your life to be a better person, not obsess over passages that don't really mean anything. You CAN be a Christian and believe in science. Half of religion, every single religion that ever existed, was myth made to explain the unexplainable. And when it's explained, there's a mass panic and calls of heresy. But you know what? It shouldn't cut short anyone's relationship with God because maybe, just maybe, God is something that we mortals can never fully understand. Something that's so far beyond explanation that it truly is the amazing force that has its hand in the universe.

Same goes with religious attitudes. If you want to be a Biblical originalist, go back into a mud hut, give most of your money to someone even poorer than you, and worship all day and night. That was what was expected of Christians at the time. We have different roles as society evolves... maybe, just maybe, that includes ignoring Levitican law from the old testament. you do NOT want to apply to those laws fully.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I had never heard of Chick Fil-A before until this whole Henson thing, because I haven't seen any in the tri-state NYC area where I live. Yet I was traveling to and from Virginia this weekend and saw plenty of them. I'm very proud of the Jim Henson Company for not doing business with this intolerant corporation. I think Jim himself would be really proud, since he always stressed harmony and treating everyone equal in his work.

I don't like anyone that pushes their personal beliefs on people no matter what the topic is, from religion, politics, etc. I don't mind their beliefs and opinions, but I hate all that stuff. I was raised Catholic, but I'm not really a practicing one much anymore. I have my beliefs, but I'm not a church goer, etc. I just don't like any organization that tries to guilt you if you're doing something "wrong" by their standards. I mean, I'm vegetarian, but I don't think people who eat meat are evil. It's just something I choose for myself.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Out of the entire thread, I think that's the wisest statement. Cable news has torn the country apart, and that needs to stop. But what do they care? They get ratings, and get to influence government to give them bigger and bigger tax cuts on the profits they're making off of ALL of our experiences, even people that agree with them. They're vampires that feed off our emotions and reactionary thoughts, we just need to starve them.

But this subject always pops up and it always delves into the same places it usually does. Some right wing Christian winds up misunderstanding something, complains about being painted with a brush, and responds by painting everyone who disagrees with them with a brush. So I'll say what I have to say and leave.

I do feel that Christians are unfairly treated in our society, but they are by NO means persecuted. The culture war is made up (and the first mudballs are thrown) by the same Cable News pottymouths to get people on their side and sell books to them. Potty Mouths that DON'T care about you or me, or anyone but whoever gets them the biggest tax cut, because they deserve it for getting paid to sit on their ginormous butts and whine all day. How much do you make an hour? Think about that. Not to mention the fact that there are places in the planet where you could be killed for saying you're a Christian... or even the wrong kind of Christian. THAT is persecution.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with believing homosexuality is a sin, but there is EVERYTHING wrong in demagogging it like it's an end all be all. It's a historical footnote that justifies hate. Nay, it's hate that's justified by digging through the bible and finding something that sounds sort of kind of like some hang up. Remember, all the televangelists that spouted all the pious mumbo jumbo they could, all the while getting caught with hookers (male and female) and embezzling money they suckered out of the elderly? Those who claim the word of Christ in this country are the most UnChristian people on the planet.

Third... the paradox is no longer cute. You know the whole "Liberals claim to accept everyone, but they don't except people who have a strong contrast in their beliefs, don't agree to compromise, and that they view as the problem." Here's the thing. liberals dug themselves into a HUGE corner with their whole holier than thou "acceptance" crap. Conservatives don't have to accept anyone because they had the foresight NOT to glom on to that "what could possibly go wrong" clusterfudge. Let's leave it at this. Conservatives don't agree with liberals, and liberals don't agree with conservatives... let's leave it at that and SHUT UP! No one on this board hates anyone else on this board. Stop taking offense in every little thing. Hey BOTH sides want to shove their views down the other, yet they whine as if they aren't.

Fourth... Henson is within their rights to drop out of a company they don't agree with that could potentially make them look bad. But you know what? Chic Fil A has, through it's actions, proven that corporations have TOO much control of our government. They bought influence against the big icky gays that gross their Little Mary Fifties Better-than-you founder with their profits. Our political system is broken for just such a reason. And yet, the fact they bought Proposition 8 the way they did is going to go completely unheeded. Chic's founder can believe whatever backward, Biblical literalism he wants to. The fact that he can use his influence and money to forward those is legal is breaking the Constitution worse than Health Care Reform ever will.

And Finally... I'm saying this as a Christian... Stop acting like the Bible's the end all be all instruction guide to get to Heaven. Swallowing without digesting what the book has to say isn't spirituality. You HAVE to ask questions, you HAVE to go back and say "this doesn't work," and "This doesn't apply anymore." And above all, realize that the Bible was written by observers, not God and Jesus themselves. And above all, it IS a book. When you read a book, chances are, you're interpretation will vary. That's why everyone who watches a movie based on a book HATES the movie. The director interpreted it differently. Meanwhile, we have hundreds of biblical scholars agreeing and disagreeing with each other, finding the true meanings and common ground. Really... ask me this. Why is it so wrong for religion to evolve? It's not written in stone. They're stories, historical or otherwise, that are there to help you shape your life to be a better person, not obsess over passages that don't really mean anything. You CAN be a Christian and believe in science. Half of religion, every single religion that ever existed, was myth made to explain the unexplainable. And when it's explained, there's a mass panic and calls of heresy. But you know what? It shouldn't cut short anyone's relationship with God because maybe, just maybe, God is something that we mortals can never fully understand. Something that's so far beyond explanation that it truly is the amazing force that has its hand in the universe.

Same goes with religious attitudes. If you want to be a Biblical originalist, go back into a mud hut, give most of your money to someone even poorer than you, and worship all day and night. That was what was expected of Christians at the time. We have different roles as society evolves... maybe, just maybe, that includes ignoring Levitican law from the old testament. you do NOT want to apply to those laws fully.
It's a shame reading some of the hateful remarks on the Jim Henson Company's Facebook message. There are people out there that don't seem to understand that it's not an either/or issue. The Henson Company and others like it believe that Christians should be able to practice and gays should be able to get married. The Chick-Fil-A-minded companies believe Christians should have rights and gays shouldn't. They're the only ones forcing their beliefs upon others. The funny thing is that these self-professed bigots on facebook don't exactly know what they're boycotting or what JHC owns. Disney owns the Muppets, Marvel and Pixar and they've supported gay marriage for quite a while. There are so many companies that support this right.

Hubert

Reaction score
I do, however, want to say that I do apologize if I may have offended anyone over the course of this thread with any of my replies or comments. I'm not out to personally attack or offend anyone or any group, yet I can understand if anything I've said may have come off as even the slightest bit offensive. We are still all here because of Jim and his work, which has a major theme of acceptance and diversity, and it is very important that we do maintain that spirit and legacy. :jim:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
For those of you Henson fans still on the fence about Chick-Fil-A and their integrity, I present this...