Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It is great that they're pushing inclusion. What I'm saying is that I feel that they should push inclusion more as a whole, "we include everyone because of their differences."

And I know that the Muppets have celebrated Christmas for years. But take note that it was only in the John Denver special that they even referenced the religious side of Christmas. They used Christmas as an opportunity to focus on love and inclusion. Even in the John Denver special they did not push Christianity, they talked a bit about it, but they didn't push it. That's what I'd prefer these companies to do. I don't care if they talk about gay marriage and say that we should be respecting everyone's decisions on it. I don't want them to push it. Like I said before, there is a difference between respecting and pushing. I think it would be great if they respect. What I don't want them to do is push. They respected the religious aspect, but they didn't actually push the Christian faith.

I do understand your thinking that my argument may seem one-sided. In fact, I might even believe that if I was a random person reading my posts. But the thing is, believe it or not, I would take issue with JHC pushing that every Christian should be able to worship at a church of their choosing. I'd rather them teach DIVERSITY, a universal message that transfers to every single belief and right.
Again, they are not pushing the belief in gay marriage, they are advocating the right for people to have one. Your words read like rationalizations for a personal prejudice and not this "diversity" you keep weaving into the discussion. The fact is that the civil liberties of gay men and women are under attack in this country. JHC got caught up in the middle of a sticky situation and they acted in the spirit of equality and understanding that I feel is very much in keeping with every Muppety think I know from my 38 years of fandom.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Oddly enough my family and I were just having a discussion about gay marriage yesterday. And we all pretty much agreed that it's wrong gay couples can't get health insurance together. Where is the right in that? There isn't! Their just as much entitled to it as a straight married couple is.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And we all pretty much agreed that it's wrong gay couples can't get health insurance together. Where is the right in that? There isn't!
Yeah I mean even if you're not for gay marriage, to deny people and their children health insurance is just cruel. Marriage is a government institution as well as a religious one and there's no reason why Americans in committed relationships shouldn't benefit in that way.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Exactly! If they have been living together for much of their life how could you not give them health insurance??? That is just so beyond wrong to me. And trust me most of the people in my family are not for gay marriage but they agreed a gay couple should be entitled to health benefits just as much as a straight married couple.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
And just to clarify, I'm not finding fault with the fact that they are supporting marriage equality, or any other right or belief, I'm only finding fault with the method they chose to go about doing it.
That just seems like splitting-hairs to me. Henson was painted into a corner by Chick-Fil-A. They could have ignored it. They could have wormed out of it with some wimpy, ambiguous or self-serving statement about diversity. Instead they stood up and spoke directly to the issue.

They're not preaching to others that "gay is the way" or something. They're not sponsoring a parade float or marching on Washington. Their statement didn't raise gay people up to any more importance than any other group. It folded them into their belief of diversity. We were the group being flagged in connection to them and they handled the situation with grace.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Back when I was still into VeggieTales videos as a little kid, when you would buy them some would come with Chick-fil-A coupons, but there aren't any Chick-fil-A's where I live. I was always curious to eat there, but thankfully never did. This doesn't exactly help my opinions on that place either. I may be Christian like these guys, but I'm pro-gay marriage and I don't think a fast food restaurant is the best place to force Christian views on people. I could probably rant more about these guys but here isn't the best time to do so...

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I know Kermit isn't technically under The Henson Company anymore but still it gets the point across! I feel like it should also say bacon buuuuuuuut...that's a different story. Lol!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This thing has really taken on a life of it's own. This image has a little more accuracy than some others out there in that it features both the official statement and characters owned by the Henson Company. :wink:

I do kind of wonder why none of this is cited as breaking news on the MC homepage.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Oh that's a great one! All the other ones I've been seeing have The Muppets on them. :big_grin: