Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
She was more referring to a Christian saying they believe in the Bible, yet then disagree with one or all of the principles in it.
Well that also depends on the denomination though. Some denominations take the Bible literally, others more symbolically.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Reminds me of something my best friend once said, regarding being raised a Catholic: "I consider myself a good Christian, but a bad Catholic". :laugh:
Who is this person? I like them already XD

I know Baptists (particularly Southern Baptists) tend to be a little more hypocritical than others when it comes to certain rules to abide by... heck, I was brought up in a Baptist church before my family joined a Cumberland Presbyterian one some years back, and up until very recently, I didn't even know what Lent was. Then again, that seems more like another something that mostly Catholics observe anyway.
I'm pretty sure Lent is a Catholic thing. Don't get me started on Southern Baptists...just don't -_-

Hubert

Reaction score
Well that also depends on the denomination though. Some denominations take the Bible literally, others more symbolically.
Right, I understand that. I'm just saying that I think Ruahnna was referring to just plain and simple Bible and Christians sort of thing, so to speak, no actual denomination involved. But I do agree with what you're saying, many denominations do seem to support things that are against what they say they believe.

I'm pretty sure Lent is a Catholic thing. Don't get me started on Southern Baptists...just don't -_-
Yeah...Lent is mostly a Catholic thing...some denominations do acknowledge it and say they're in it, but really making it stand out as an important time is more of a Catholic thing. Though something I have noticed is that Lent seems to be getting out further and further to other denominations. Many people from other denominations have started to celebrate and acknowledge Lent as an important time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
many denominations do seem to support things that are against what they say they believe.
Well not exactly. They just recognize the historical context of the Bible. Some things were symbolic and some things were part of primitive society and shouldn't be carried over into today.

Hubert

Reaction score
Not exactly. They just recognize the historical context of the Bible. Some things were symbolic and some things were part of primitive society and shouldn't be carried over into today.
That's not quite what I meant...I do know that, being a Christian myself and all. That's not what I'm talking about. Here's what I mean: it is pretty clear cut in the Bible that getting drunk is a sin. Yet some denomination might state that it's OK. That sort of thing. That something minor that is actually clear cut in the Bible, the denomination itself goes against.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Galations 5:19-21 would be an example.
Is that Paul saying that? There is the school of thought that Jesus' words are the more important and that Paul was a bit of a zealot. I get what you're saying that that's the kind of hypocrisy that's being referred to. But even there I would question whether that's hypocrisy. But of course that is just personal opinion. :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Okay I'm a Southern Baptist and I think everyone should have equal rights. I have several Christian friends as well who are also Southern Baptists and they also support gay rights. Maybe some of you should look at the individuals themselves instead of just judging them as a group. I'm just saying.

Hubert

Reaction score
Is that Paul saying that? There is the school of thought that Jesus' words are the more important and that Paul was a bit of a zealot. I get what you're saying that that's the kind of hypocrisy that's being referred to. But even there I would question whether that's hypocrisy. But of course that is just personal opinion. :smile:
Yeah. That's Paul. I also found Luke 21:34, which would be Jesus's words in that instance.