Who wants the future Muppet movies to be...

Fraggline

Reaction score
I did take issue with Piggy's walk in Paris. The puppetry in that shot didn't quite work. I think CG could have helped that couple of seconds along. I wouldn't support anything longer or much more than that.
Yeah, I agree with you that it didn't really look quite in-tune. But I have to admit that, in the theater, I was laughing! Muppets' walking (when we can see their legs, I mean) just seems to make me giggle. I wouldn't mind keeping the technology we have if it means that we keep that comedic effect.

Walter

Reaction score
Im sorry...Waldo is Waldo.. But the Muppets Should NEVER EVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREEVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVERVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVER...GASP.....E V E R be CG... The Muppets are the Muppets because they are real..tangible and real... they are really there when the film is shot. All of the magic would simply dissapear if they were to physically dissapear.

bandit

Reaction score
Exactly. And it's like I said, Muppeteering is an art form in itself. Trying to go around replacing all of the Muppets with CGI versions of them would be a bit like changing paintings with actual photographs. I mean, sure it might look more like the real deal and all but they are two different art forms. There is a little room for merging here and there but for one to completely replace the other? No.
If you go back and watch the original Star Wars, Yoda had SO much more charm back in the days that they could strap him onto Luke's back and he would hobble around in his Muppety goodness. You replace him with CGI boring as heck Yoda who can suddenly do flips and all kinds of crazy things....*shakes head* Nuh-uh. He totally lost his charm.

...Of course....another large part of that had to do with the atrocious writing....but I digress.

There is still a solid place in this world for the good old fashioned Muppets and their hijinks. This is the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Vincent L

Reaction score
I wonder if any of you actually liked the animated Muppet Babies. To me, the animation looks just weird.

bandit

Reaction score
Oh at first I didn't like them. I remember being really disappointed when they were cartoons instead of puppets. However, I did end up warming to them. I caught shows here and there. I liked some of their crazy fantasy sequences.
The Fraggle Rock cartoon, on the other hand, I NEVER warmed up to. I hated it!
All that aside, though, I think it's okay to have those kinds of shows in addition to the physical Muppets but I would never be in favor of replacing the puppets.

See here is what I think is key in all of this.....

We all love the characters and that is what stands out to most people when they watch these movies and shows. People become attached to the personalities. It's a credit to the Muppeteers that they put such realism into their performances that sometimes, I think, people forget that there is a real art behind each and every little performance of these characters. Jim Henson was interested in many things, it's true. I'm sure he would be curious about other technologies and how to incorporate them into his projects but at heart, puppetry is what this is all about. How does one improve on the art of puppetry and how does one continue to use technology WITH puppetry and not in place of puppetry.

Anyway, I know I'm repeating myself. I'm just always so awestruck by how much just a little bit of felt and a whole lot of talent can convey.

Vincent L

Reaction score
My opinion: New characters can be CG, but existing ones should stay puppets.

[now, where's that picture of Kermit and animated baby Gonzo?]

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Even that is a stretch for me. Maybe Waldo could come back, that's fine. But I would really like to see new characters in puppet form. It would kind of be odd having a bunch of puppets and then a few CGI characters. :smirk:

Lola p

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if the muppet fans wants their Muppets to be CGI like the teddy bear on the new Seth McFarlane's movie TED???

For me, I think that should be the future of the Muppets. It still looks like a stuffed animal and it doesn't look like CGI at all.

Muppets to me are like Living Stuffed Animals!! And that movie Ted made that stuffed animal come to life!!!

I take nothing away from the Muppet Performers. They are all great artists.

But with that CGI, all we need is a great voice to make those "Living Stuffed Animals" known as The Muppets come to life even more.

I feel if Jim Henson was still alive, he will appreciate the CGI of Ted and probably would turn his Muppets into this kind of media.

Anyone agrees?

You might wanna watch out: If Scooter sees this, there might be a Muppet smackdown coming your way!:big_grin: