Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
My friend and I saw a huge talking billboard for this movie when we saw Brave earlier this week. We honestly couldn't believe this was real.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
No doubt due to Ringo Starr's wonderful narration. It really misses something in not having a warm story voice over.
Ringo did a really good job narrating. He may not have been the best at doing different voices, but it had a nice, quiet, homey sort of feeling. It even still showed up when I watched some of the shorts on youtube a while back.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My friend and I saw a huge talking billboard for this movie when we saw Brave earlier this week. We honestly couldn't believe this was real.
I'm glad that I saw Brave at a smaller, local, indie theater. Even though they ONLY had one preview. Wreck it Ralph. And I finally got to see that on the big screen in 3-D like I WANTED to, but didn't when I saw Madagascar.

Didn't even have the teaser for Monsters University.

Ringo did a really good job narrating. He may not have been the best at doing different voices, but it had a nice, quiet, homey sort of feeling. It even still showed up when I watched some of the shorts on youtube a while back.
Him and George Carlin. They were wonderful. I never heard any of the Alec Baldwin ones, though. But I HATE the guy they have now. He can't act for beans. And I liked it better when the characters didn't have different voices. It was supposed to sound like that to me... a storyteller telling the story. That's completely missing now.

Though there is a funny one about The Fat Controller losing his hat that happened recently. At least, funny from what I've seen of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, there's something that tells me the panic is all for naught, since there's no one DUMB enough to want to see this thing...

You knew I was gonna do that, didn't you?

Hubert

Reaction score
*fumes are coming out of ears, for reasons that no one expects*

SERIOUSLY, WHAT IS THE BIG BEEF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

This is a movie...a kids movie...it does exactly what it's supposed to do...leave it alone!

It's there...it may not be the best executed movie in the world, but it's there. It will appeal to kids...it sure would've appealed to the kid version of me. And you say that kids in a theater is a bad idea...well, I think we oughta get more kid's movies on the big screen...it gives it an even further interactive element, the fact that there are actually other kids there.

And for the people criticizing it for making up words for character personalities, criticize the Muppets for using "Muppetational" while you're at it...

I mean, sheesh! Maybe the next time an R-rated movie comes out the preschoolers should start a mad mob about how stupid it is...

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what?

I hate when someone says "Shut up! It's a kid's movie/project."

Just because it's for kids doesn't mean it has to be a low quality toy commercial that makes their parents want to jump off the nearest cliff. Remember, this is a HENSON based board. We do have higher standards of what kid's media should be.

This is pretty much the most forced attempt at a kid's program/movie/toy franchise I've ever seen. Nothing's organic or quality about it. It's just... ugly and cynical. Hardly the same quality stuff that a good third of this site is devoted to. I hate to say that I am, but I'm a complete savant when it comes to preschool shows. I know where quality and kid likability lies. Heck, I even get Dora the Explora's appeal, even though I've been vocal against it for some time.

But this just doesn't have any likability on any level. It's dated (the cheap big costumes went out with Barney the Dinosaur), it looks quite scary from a child's perspective, and if you read the article posted, it's a cynical, jaded attempt to make a new Teletubbies type franchise, and I doubt kids will cling onto that.

It's there...it may not be the best executed movie in the world, but it's there. It will appeal to kids...it sure would've appealed to the kid version of me. And you say that kids in a theater is a bad idea...well, I think we oughta get more kid's movies on the big screen...it gives it an even further interactive element, the fact that there are actually other kids there.
Interactive is good for a home audience, not so much for a film. Again, jumping idiot kids who smacked me in the head watching Bolt and were hardly reprimanded by their yuppie parents almost ruined the film for me. A movie theater is a PUBLIC place. You're instilling bad behavior and rude theater etiquette into preschoolers that will wind up disrupting a quality film the next time they take their brats to the cinema.

And above all, this wasn't an idea founded in "Oh, kids love to jump around and see movies." This idea was founded by someone who saw a movie that has a large African American audience full of African Americans who were perpetuating a stereotype about African Americans. The movie wasn't based on child-like whimsy at all... it was based on racism.

I mean, sheesh! Maybe the next time an R-rated movie comes out the preschoolers should start a mad mob about how stupid it is...
There are NO shortage of kid's movies out there. Ones released and one that are on home video. Heck, we even have Kidtoons Cinema, where you take your kids to the movies at 10 AM (I find that all together too early). Sure, Ted and Magic Mike did better than Brave did last weekend, that's a testament to the fact that little boys don't want to see movies about girls. I'm also absolutely shocked we don't have another PG rated fart fest that destroys some classic cartoon series out this summer.

It's not a barren market, is what I'm saying. But kids don't buy tickets. The parents do. And I don't think there's a single parent out there that wants to be stuck their for 60-90 minutes seeing ugly characters dance around with C-list celebrities with their kids running around the theater. That's 10 bucks for mom and dad, at least 6 bucks for the kids... you can buy a crappy DVD at the Wal*Mart dollar bin for that.

And finally... preschool friendly films are disastrous flops. Barney's film disintegrated at the box office quickly, but he was on the way out at the time. But Elmo? Elmo may have been the hit toy line of the year before EIG, and the show may be Elmo centric now... Elmo's a huge star in his own right. But even HE couldn't get butts into seats, and it's the LOWEST grossing Muppet movie, second lowest Henson film (Buddy's number one). And this is a completely unknown product. It's only going to make budget because the budget was lower than Dawn of the Dead, I assume.

Hubert

Reaction score
Just because it's for kids doesn't mean it has to be a low quality toy commercial that makes their parents want to jump off the nearest cliff. Remember, this is a HENSON based board. We do have higher standards of what kid's media should be.

This is pretty much the most forced attempt at a kid's program/movie/toy franchise I've ever seen. Nothing's organic or quality about it. It's just... ugly and cynical. Hardly the same quality stuff that a good third of this site is devoted to. I hate to say that I am, but I'm a complete savant when it comes to preschool shows. I know where quality and kid likability lies. Heck, I even get Dora the Explora's appeal, even though I've been vocal against it for some time.

But this just doesn't have any likability on any level. It's dated (the cheap big costumes went out with Barney the Dinosaur), it looks quite scary from a child's perspective, and if you read the article posted, it's a cynical, jaded attempt to make a new Teletubbies type franchise, and I doubt kids will cling onto that.
But it works! That's just the thing...it doesn't look scary at all from a child's perspective, I absolutely know for a fact I would've bugged my parents to take me to see this when I was little...it's one thing if it doesn't appeal to kids, but it does. Kids like a colorful cast of characters having fun like that.

We do have higher standards of kid's programming. It can be and should be a bit better...but I'm saying that if it is what will entertain kids, then what's the problem?\\

Interactive is good for a home audience, not so much for a film. Again, jumping idiot kids who smacked me in the head watching Bolt and were hardly reprimanded by their yuppie parents almost ruined the film for me. A movie theater is a PUBLIC place. You're instilling bad behavior and rude theater etiquette into preschoolers that will wind up disrupting a quality film the next time they take their brats to the cinema.
The only way going to a movie itself is going to instill bad behavior is if the movie is actually telling kids "Smack the person in front of you." It would be the parents' fault for not having their kids behave...

And above all, this wasn't an idea founded in "Oh, kids love to jump around and see movies." This idea was founded by someone who saw a movie that has a large African American audience full of African Americans who were perpetuating a stereotype about African Americans. The movie wasn't based on child-like whimsy at all... it was based on racism.
What are we watching, FOX? There is no racism present here...