Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Either way, the movie will more than likely draw on some sort of past formula... I mean, look at the show itself, HOW many episodes have we had involving a chicken thinking Rocco is an egg? How many times has Oscar launched something from his trashcan like his own show or something, and Telly ends up being his sidekick? How many characters have suddenly taken on a reporter guise for a day to report on various similar events happening on the street? Even 2001 wasn't the first time Sesame Street was hit by a hurricane apparently.
In the course of a TV show, especially one that's over 40 years old, recycling episodes is only natural, though they've done it a remarkably high amount of times the last few seasons. Especially the guessing game crap.

There's a Japanese kid's cartoon series called Doraemon, and that's been on the air since 1979. They ran out of plots, so they started just redoing old episodes many years later. I don't mean recycling plots... completely, legitimately taking old episodes and doing them a second time, maybe adding something here and there (celebrity cameos or something), but they are the same exact stories revolving around the same exact gadgets. People who have seen those old episodes will know that they're remakes, but the demographic that the show's intended for won't.

As far as Sesame Street doing a movie, while the show has done everything, they haven't done anything that's too ambitious that can't be done in the matter of a single episode, a 2 parter, or maybe a week long story arc (something they don't even attempt anymore). Plus, the film doesn't have to have educational content (other than the fact that storytelling demands lessons and morals), so they can go off menu for a film.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Either way, the movie will more than likely draw on some sort of past formula... I mean, look at the show itself, HOW many episodes have we had involving a chicken thinking Rocco is an egg? How many times has Oscar launched something from his trashcan like his own show or something, and Telly ends up being his sidekick? How many characters have suddenly taken on a reporter guise for a day to report on various similar events happening on the street? Even 2001 wasn't the first time Sesame Street was hit by a hurricane apparently.
That's what happens when you've done over 4000 episodes I guess. :wink: But when was the first time Sesame Street was hit by a hurricane?

A film adaptation of Super Grover! Ready for Action would be nice in that case. Though I'd rather see something fresh and new altogether in this case.:wink:

Just out of curiousty, would anyone like to see another "X" wants to tear down Sesame Street and it's up to "X" and the gang to stop it? I know it sounds cliche, but it could work if done well.
What was Super Grover! Ready for Action about? I never saw it, but I'm liking the idea of a Super Grover movie already!

Hey, though we've seen so much of the "tear down our home" sort of plot, it could be really cool if it sent the whole gang on a super awesome adventure trying to save it. I don't know how, but those two together just sounds good to me.

Really, anything exciting and adventurous I'd vote for, but I do hope they come up with something on their own and don't base it off of a classic tale. They did Cinderelmo really well I thought, but Abby in Wonderland just wasn't as magical because I already knew the ending.

SSLFan

Reaction score
What was Super Grover! Ready for Action about? I never saw it, but I'm liking the idea of a Super Grover movie already!
Super Grover loses his "superness", and the Fabulous Five - a new team of heroes - is formed by Elmo, Telly, Rosita (Abby Caddaby in the recent remake), Zoe and her pet rock Rocco, who fill in for Grover while he's gone. It tied into the SW's "Healthy Habits For Life" campaign. Such acts included an Old McDonald number, Rosita/Abby helping Big Bird get to sleep, Elmo saving EW from Oscar, etc. It was a cute little show, very well written by Joey I must say. Even though it was about Grover and the other 4 characters, it was more of an ensemble piece if anything. Every character had their moment to shine.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Really, when was Sesame Street hit by a Hurricane the first time around ? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really, when was Sesame Street hit by a Hurricane the first time around ? :confused:
Sometime in the 90's. It wasn't as high profile as the 2001 one, but it happened around around the time of some hurricane that actually hit New York around then.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
The one thing that concerns me is that Joey (whom I like very much. He;s a great guy and great writer) has admitted that he has trouble writing for Big Bird. Obviously I'm a little biassed toward BB but still. I've noticed him showing up in a miniscule amount of episodes in the seasons since Joey was head writer. I'm just worried that he won't have a substancial enough part in the film. I'm not talking lead role, but a little bit moreso than he had in EiG.

Plus, Snuffy didn't appear at all in EiG. That should be diferent this time around.

However, I'm still very excited for this movie. Sesame has sort of been put on the backburner for many kids programing in recent years, and film like this surely has the potential to put them back on top (I mean, it worked with the Muppets!!)

With Being Elmo, The Muppets, I Am Big Bird, The Muppets 2, the Fraggle Movie, and now this.... I love being a Muppet nerd. :fanatic:

Those are my thoughts. Do with them what you will :smile:

:wisdom::grouchy::super::batty::laugh::stick_out_tongue::frown::insatiable:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The one thing that concerns me is that Joey (whom I like very much. He;s a great guy and great writer) has admitted that he has trouble writing for Big Bird. Obviously I'm a little biassed toward BB but still. I've noticed him showing up in a miniscule amount of episodes in the seasons since Joey was head writer. I'm just worried that he won't have a substancial enough part in the film. I'm not talking lead role, but a little bit moreso than he had in EiG.
Joey's lack of ability for writing Big Bird probably doesn't reflect any sort of bias on his part. Maybe Caroll's busy? The characters they're primarily using each season (Elmo, Abby, Chris) are the most readily available performers, so if Caroll can only come in so often, they probably wouldn't be able to do more with him. Big Bird isn't an easy character to right for, Joey's right. I'm sure that's one reason why Oscar tends to appear more (not by much, but still); he's got a whole Grouch universe surrounding him and that allows for more potential.

I'm not exactly pleased with the lack of Big Bird, but the stuff they do give him when he does appear are great. The habitat episode, the Good Birds Club one, Snuffy's sneezing; those were all great episodes.

I kinda attribute the lack of certain characters to lack of time they have in the show. With all the segments they have, there's really only room for at least one non-letter-number-Word of the Day-AFFS-B&E-SG-EW segment. And to have a cast of, what I consider, 16 Muppets, only 3 are guaranteed a spot in every show. I don't know why we got so many SG repeats this year when there were still a number of unaired E&B adventures, which only appeared in a fraction of episodes. And we don't reall see much Cookie Monster other than those animated songs, despite how popular he is today. But they have no choice but use those because they now they have no time for him elsewhere; the random insert near the show's end is usually a celebrity bit or a spoof; the former usually with Elmo and the latter usually with spoof characters.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Super Grover loses his "superness", and the Fabulous Five - a new team of heroes - is formed by Elmo, Telly, Rosita (Abby Caddaby in the recent remake), Zoe and her pet rock Rocco, who fill in for Grover while he's gone. It tied into the SW's "Healthy Habits For Life" campaign. Such acts included an Old McDonald number, Rosita/Abby helping Big Bird get to sleep, Elmo saving EW from Oscar, etc. It was a cute little show, very well written by Joey I must say. Even though it was about Grover and the other 4 characters, it was more of an ensemble piece if anything. Every character had their moment to shine.
If it's ensemble, then that's what I'm for. Elmo is nice, but he can't put on the whole show on his own. The whole loving family has to be there to really give it charm (and I'm sure the adults wouldn't mind seeing some more Count, Oscar, Cookie, or more classic favs).

Joey's lack of ability for writing Big Bird probably doesn't reflect any sort of bias on his part. Maybe Caroll's busy? The characters they're primarily using each season (Elmo, Abby, Chris) are the most readily available performers, so if Caroll can only come in so often, they probably wouldn't be able to do more with him. Big Bird isn't an easy character to right for, Joey's right. I'm sure that's one reason why Oscar tends to appear more (not by much, but still); he's got a whole Grouch universe surrounding him and that allows for more potential.
I'm not exactly pleased with the lack of Big Bird, but the stuff they do give him when he does appear are great. The habitat episode, the Good Birds Club one, Snuffy's sneezing; those were all great episodes.
I bet Big Bird used to be a whole lot better to write for when he was the little kid on the show. He still is, but, y'know, now there's Elmo, and Big Bird gets to play the older one for a bit (I love this one adorable thing he said to Elmo in this one episode: "Elmo, dinosaurs aren't around anymore. I know these things. I'm six years old."). If it's just an Elmo and Abby movie and we don't see a lot of Big Bird, Zoe, or Grover in this movie though, then I'll be disappointed. Not that I have anything against the little red guy, or the fairy either. Abby's super adorable and sweet, and Elmo is the cutest 3 year old, especially in 80s stuff. And Cinderelmo totally rocked my world the last time I saw it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Grover's popular, with the writer and the audience. He'll have a big role, I can feel it (his stuff in CinderElmo is funny).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Who DOESN'T love Grover? Aside from Mr. Johnson that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.