Do Bowie and Connelly really dislike Labyrinth?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lately I've been a little addicted to the TV Tropes website. Anyway, there's one trope, "Old Shame", which refers to works where people involved are ashamed, sometimes to the point of trying to hide them from the fans.

In the "film" section for Old Shame, which can be found here http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/OldShame/Film it says that David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly are not big fans of Labyrinth, and states that they get embarrassed when their kids watch the movie with them.

Now, this website encourages fans NOT to site their sources, but this is the first I've read of such information. Have there been any official sources out there that confirm their embarrassment, maybe an interview or something? I feel like I've seen a recent interview with Connelly where she seemed to talk positively about the movie, but I'm not really sure. The Muppet Wiki pages for the actirs say nothing about their feelings about this film.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Bowie is basically a shut-in these days. Connelly talked about Labyrinth recently on a talk show, and it wasn't anything negative. I've never read a derogatory statement from Bowie or Connelly about the film, although they probably view it like it is: early work from younger versions of themselves. Connelly was only fourteen! And David Bowie has handled heavier work, like Pontious Pilate in Last Temptation of Christ.

Hubert

Reaction score
I don't know, from everything I had seen/read, both really liked it...but you never know, there is a chance that over time their opinions could have changed.

It also depends what exactly is being pinpointed. There's a difference between not liking the overall movie and not liking your performance in it. And even if that would be clear on this, it is still something that is extremely easy to misinterpret.

bandit

Reaction score
Hmm, in all the interviews I've seen with Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie, the tone has been quite the opposite. They both seemed to really have enjoyed working on the film. Then again, I don't know how current they are. Well, Jen's was more current. I think I know the one Hubert is referring to and mention of the film was met with quite a warm reception. That's interesting.
And by interesting I mean probably hogwash! Seems like something was taken out of context to me. ^_^

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's the exact quote on the website:
"David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly aren't too big of fans of Labyrinth. Both of them even get uncomfortable (in Bowie's case) or embarrassed (in Connelly's case) when their children are watching the film"

Of course, as I said earlier, the website doesn't cite sources, and I've seen somewhere on the site that actually encourages not showing sources. Who knows who wrote that piece of info or where they got it.

This same page also notes another "old shame" I question: Michael Richards considering his role in UHF a touchy subject, despite doing the DVD commentary. On the commentary for that movie he seemed to have enjoyed being part of it. I wonder if maybe whoever provided that info was thinking about Fridays; I've read that the only reason that show's not on DVD is because Michael Richards won't allow permission for his footage released.

Hubert

Reaction score
Right, also like I said before, the person who wrote that may have easily misinterpreted whatever source they used...whether they were referring to the film or their performances. And also they could even feel uncomfortable or embarrassed because it is an odd situation for them for their kids to be watching younger versions of their parent.

bandit

Reaction score
I agree. I have a feeling its more something like this. ^_^

dwmckim

Reaction score
This whole example just seems like a perfect case of what havoc can be released if uncited sources are encouraged. What would be the justification for that? Seems like anyone could just post the most ridiculous rumors/falsehoods about anything and have it taken as gospel...

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I remember watching a clip of Behind the Actors Studio and Connelly said wonderful and nice things about Jim and her experience on Labyrinth which was nice. This was of course the question after being asked about her various (*cough*) scenes in lots of movies, saying that she didn't feel comfortable but she wanted to be taken seriously as an actress. Kind of sad though.

In my opinion that Labrynth was the only creative and decent film she was ever in, everything else she was in just seemed kind of nasty to put it in a clean way.

I wonder if she did that stuff before of after Labyrinth.

But yeah, I'm not sure if those are actually true, lots of sites like that seem to exaggerate and pass it around. It must be rough being a celebrity without starting a rumor. All they have to do is sigh then boom, headline front page "Celebrity hated whatever". lol

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if she did that stuff before of after Labyrinth.
I've read that Labyrinth was her first acting role, so it would have been after.

This thread kind of reminds me of her acceptance speech when Jennifer Connelly got her first (and only?) Oscar. With all her happy crying, I kept thinking, "She's not acknowledging her work in Labyrinth???" Yeah, back then I was thinking too much about it, and taking it a bit too personally that she wasn't talking about Labyrinth when accepting an award for a different movie.