Who wants the future Muppet movies to be...

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I say "no" but also, surprisingly "yes!" This is why:

95% of the Muppets should always be live puppets. That's their magic. Anything else and their appearance seems to be "phoned in" and stale. However, Jim Henson's passion for CGI was growing. He was looking for ways to incorporate more of the technology in his works. I support use of CGI in some shots - i.e. musical numbers and connective pieces in scenes. I have no problem seeing the Muppets' feet or seeing them in masterfully rendered in CG. The only stipulation is that it shouldn't be a gimmick. It should cleverly be woven into the story. I'm not a purist if it means stifling the creative future of the Muppets. Still, I can't support abandoning their charm either. The Muppets are special and should always stay that way.

I do feel that the Muppet team will likely incorporate some performance capture puppetry composite shots in the future.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
No. The Muppets should not be CGI. I believe Jason or somebody involved with the movie said this in a pre-movie interview - You can't hug a CG character. They're not real. Kermit, you can hug. He may be fictional, but he's a real, tangible character.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Video anyone? Just saying. Obviously I think most of us know Jim was very much into technology and the way it was evolving during that time but I still believe even to this day he wouldn't want the Muppets themselves to be CGI. As Jim said at the end "simple is good."

rowlfy662

Reaction score
i really do not want to see the muppets in cgi it just would not be right the muppets should always be puppets the only muppet who really works as cgi is waldo c graphic and thats it

bluebomber95

Reaction score
Puppet full body shots could be REALLY good with modern-day CGI. That is, for full body shots that are not feasible to do with puppets and green screen. Do I think fully-CG characters are good for the Muppets? No, 99.9% of the time. If a character is supposed to be digital, like Waldo, then it could be a motion capture sorta thing. But, no fully-CG Kermit, please.

I don't see why people think CGI is the devil on these forums. Face it, its good when used purposefully.

So, to sum up this post, CG like Ted should only be used when shots absolutely need it to look good, but the Muppets should otherwise be fleece and foam.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Okay I'm gonna at least speak for myself here when I say I don't hate CGI. And I don't think it's the devil! I thinks a great tool to use however I do not want to see the Muppets themselves in CGI.