"Debby" turned out to be a drip

Katzi428

Reaction score
For all of you that have been watching the news and saw that Tropical Storm Debby was smack dab in the middle of Florida, I'm fine. :smile: They had the weather forecasters saying that we were going to get high winds , torrential downpours, etc. Her bark was worse than her bite.:rolleyes: We got the rain & winds yesterday but the wind wasn't such a big deal. I had said to a friend on Facebook AKA Faceplant (as someone here newsie :wink: calls it ) that I was going to help my mother look for the hurricane lamp should we lose power. But there's no need to thank goodness!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Debby? We're already at D? Well, maybe Prairie can help you with the letter the next storm will be named for. :stick_out_tongue:

Usually June and July storms turn out to be just that, rain and wind, if anything at all. It's not until August, and mainly the beginning of September we get the really bad ones, let alone the hour showers the first two J-months and the loss of electricity during the day that signal we're in full-blown summertime down here.

Take care Kath. *Hugs.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Debby? We're already at D? Well, maybe Prairie can help you with the letter the next storm will be named for. :stick_out_tongue:

Usually June and July storms turn out to be just that, rain and wind, if anything at all. It's not until August, and mainly the beginning of September we get the really bad ones, let alone the hour showers the first two J-months and the loss of electricity during the day that signal we're in full-blown summertime down here.

Take care Kath. *Hugs.
I think these storms like to put a big scare tactic into us. Several years ago Earl was approaching our area & had the meteorologists in a tizzy. The most he did was give us a big dousing of rain & that was it. No power outage or anything. (not that that's bad.)
Now Hurricane Gloria was a different story! I was still living in NY then and the power was out for over a week! So I was over a friend's house & she was doing my hair by candlelight & I had my eyes closed. (Thank God I did.) She put hair spray & mousse in my hair. Suddenly my scalp felt hot!My hair was on fire!!!:eek: I did a stop drop & roll to put my head out!My friend apologized profusely & I said it was OK & went home a bit later like nothing happened. But my parents sure noticed! I had burn marks on my nose & forehead. My dad had to take me to the burn unit at the local hospital. He was NOT a happy camper! (My friend's mother thought she was going to get sued because she wasn't there. Thankfully my parents didn't) And wouldn't you know it, the darn power came back on that night! YEESH!!
*HUGS back*

Lola p

Reaction score
I think these storms like to put a big scare tactic into us. Several years ago Earl was approaching our area & had the meteorologists in a tizzy. The most he did was give us a big dousing of rain & that was it. No power outage or anything. (not that that's bad.)
Now Hurricane Gloria was a different story! I was still living in NY then and the power was out for over a week! So I was over a friend's house & she was doing my hair by candlelight & I had my eyes closed. (Thank God I did.) She put hair spray & mousse in my hair. Suddenly my scalp felt hot!My hair was on fire!!!:eek: I did a stop drop & roll to put my head out!My friend apologized profusely & I said it was OK & went home a bit later like nothing happened. But my parents sure noticed! I had burn marks on my nose & forehead. My dad had to take me to the burn unit at the local hospital. He was NOT a happy camper! (My friend's mother thought she was going to get sued because she wasn't there. Thankfully my parents didn't) And wouldn't you know it, the darn power came back on that night! YEESH!!
*HUGS back*
Woah, that is crazy!

*Hugs*

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Could you please send some of that dousing rain our way Kath? The grass is starting to turn brown and brittle around these parts.

Lola p

Reaction score
Could you please send some of that dousing rain our way Kath? The grass is starting to turn brown and brittle around these parts.

There is a grass fire right now like a mile from where i am at.

I just hope no one got anything burned, or no injuries! :eek:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The worst storms I've lived through have been:
Hurricane Hugo in 88, which has become a legend;
Hurricane Georges, in 98; and
Hurricane Irene, last year in 2011, where we lost electricity for a whole week, but thanks to the generator we'd bought the year prior, you really wouldn't have known it cause I was able to log on no problem at all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, well, if we're going to talk about the worst storms we've seen in our lifetime, let's see...

Last year, we had some of the worst weather I had ever seen: in February, we had a sudden freak thunderstorm that put a vast majority of the city in feet of water... it's not everyday you turn on the news and see footage of a dumpster floating down main street. On a Monday in April, we had another freak thunderstorm that was a lot worse: the clouds were as dark as coal, the winds howled like a hurricane, sheets of rain poured down, trees were knocked down all over town... THEN we learned that was just a preview of what was to come, as that wicked system that was working it's way all week long through the southern half of the U.S. was expected to hit us by the following Thursday, which it did, almost all normal programming on the local channels was pre-empted for live weather coverage: we had torential rains, high winds, hail in some spots, it was a mess. The power didn't go out for either of those two occasions, but then at this exact time last year, yet another sudden and extreme thunderstorm blew through, knocking down more trees, and this time, it DID knock the power out for almost the entire town for hours, it was the largest outage in our utility board's history, not only that, but that particular storm also caused a lot of damage to my aunt and uncle's house, and they just recently FINALLY got most of the damage fixed (insurance companies are wonderful to work with).

They were saying on the news when all of that extreme weather was happening that in the next twenty to thirty years, that kind of extreme weather will actually be NORMAL, and that the new extreme weather will be even worse. Scary.

Katzi428

Reaction score
If I had the power to send any rain at all , I'd send it to Colorado. I'm sorry your grass is brown,J, but from what I've heard there are a LOT of fires out in CO. :concern: Lola..are you in CO.? (I'm not trying to be nosy. You don't have to answer.)