Labyrinth on the big screen this weekend in Illinois

Laszlo

Reaction score
I usually feel gypped when they show a film from a DVD/BluRay at screenings like this. If I wanted to do that, I'd watch it at home, not pay money.
But the BluRay would have a much better sharpness than an old film reel. Or am I wrong?

bandit

Reaction score
It would definitely be crisper but for a film lover, having it in original form would have more meaning. A little vinyl copy vs a cd. You can make s strong argument for both.

Laszlo

Reaction score
It would definitely be crisper but for a film lover, having it in original form would have more meaning. A little vinyl copy vs a cd. You can make s strong argument for both.
The original form would be the master negative, which they also use for the BluRay transfers. But most theatres use old crap copies. Nothing compared to the original master negatives.

bandit

Reaction score
But what I'm saying is that in the day, if you were going to go see this, you wouldn't be using the master negative. Just like when you by a record, you're not buying anything but a copy either. Like I said, it's more for the nostalgia of it all.

bandit

Reaction score
Hahaha! I think we've only ever had two conversations and both of them followed a similar theme. "This is good because..." "No, that's not an original." That's kind of funny. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying but there really is that nostalgic feeling some of us want and I think that's what they were trying to capture by showing the reel.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying but there really is that nostalgic feeling some of us want and I think that's what they were trying to capture by showing the reel.
Yes, I understand and I used to think the same way. Nostalgia is good, but (in this case) can be quite disappointing IMO.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Well, I guess Im just a perfectionist...

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Well, I guess Im just a perfectionist...
Hi, Laszlo, nah, it's not about being a perfectionist. I get wanting to see the film in the best quality you can (heck, that's why the Blu-Ray business is doing so well, and I have to admit they're amazing, but like Bandit said, it's more for the nostalgia and being a genuine film lover wanting to see the film from a film reel. I love how studios have restored films for DVD but sometimes they overwork them.

Take for instance some of the classic Disney animated films that have been re-released. They've tried so much to restore and upgrade the quality that in some cases, they're actually hurting the original product. I remember getting Snow White on regular DVD several years back and being disappointed by how the beautiful HAND painted backgrounds in the film were flattened out and made brighter for the restoration process. Like the wooden frames in the Dwarves' home, etc. As someone who loves old school hand-drawn 2D animation, I have a problem with that. Sometimes newer is not always better. And dont' get me started on the comparison between vinyl and CD's lol Listening to certain albums in both formats, there's just no contest...vinyl wins

But getting back to Labyrinth, when I hear about theatrical screenings of older films, I want to see it from a film reel. If I want to watch a Blu-Ray, I'm not going to pay $15-25, I'll stay home. I have a big screen TV and a great home theater system, other than the vibe of seeing it with a live audience (which depending can have it's benefits and curses) there's no reason to go otherwise in my opinion. I was thrilled to see the Muppet Movie for the film's anniversary a few years ago from a film print in a theater. :smile:

Laszlo

Reaction score
And dont' get me started on the comparison between vinyl and CD's lol Listening to certain albums in both formats, there's just no contest...vinyl wins
Most CD's sound horrible not because of inherent characteristics of the medium but rather how poorly they are mastered.
That said CDs are dated. There are already much better systems than CDs and vinyl.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Most CD's sound horrible not because of inherent characteristics of the medium but rather how poorly they are mastered.
That said CDs are dated. There are already much better systems than CDs and vinyl.
Well, that's true in some cases, but I have other copies of albums on both CD and vinyl and the CDs are supposed to be from original masters, etc. and the vinyl still sounds better.What newer formats do you suggest in regards to listening to music? I'm not a big fan of MP3s, either as they are compressed and make the music sound "tinny", and you lose a lot of the background sounds. I don't even own a new Ipod. I have a second hand used one from my sister that I barely use.