Is Gonzo Being phased out?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Good Question

With Wayne, Wanda, Thog, Uncle Deadly, etc suddenly reappearing in this movie, it does bring up the question, will we see them more.

They had specific jokes and roles in The Muppets, so who knows if it was a one time thing, but it also seems like a waste to re-build these puppets not to use them more.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's kinda what I've been saying. They have all these rare characters that never had much of an onscreen presence, and we're sweating the ones that were the focus of the last few projects.

Still, it stinks that Gonzo was mostly in the deleted scenes. Too bad an Avengers length Muppet Movie is out of the question. I'd LOVE to see a re-released Donner Cut of The Muppets.

bandit

Reaction score
Its so funny that I stumbled onto this thread today because, as I was watching the Muppet Show a couple of days ago, I was wondering the same thing. Wayne and Wanda were a surprise as was Uncle Deadly. I felt like that was so random. But I was a little disappointed by the way that Gonzo was presented. I've always liked Gonzo and he really wasn't showcased much. Granted, the focus of the movie really wasn't about the relationship between all of the muppets (Outside of Kermit and Piggy) but sometimes it did feel a little like the movie makers were just going "Hey! Remember these guys? Cool right? Now back to Walter."
But if that's a start then it's not a bad one. SO long as the next movie finesses these kinks it might be alright. Like I said, for what the movie was trying to do, I suppose it was alright. Obviously you can't please everyone. I would have liked more, but I understand why there wasn't.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That's such an interesting point about the first season of the Muppet Show being less about Gonzo (I've read interviews where Dave suggests he didn't really 'get' Gonzo's character until season 2 anyway) so I suppose it makes sense for something more nostalgic to focus less on his character.

However, I think its more a case of his having been the center-focus of the last half a dozen movies (Since MCC) so its about time the others got a central role for a change.

Bea:zany:{Although having said that, VMC was totally a Kermit/Fozzie movie}regard

Borples

Reaction score
I had a bunch of issues with how Gonzo was presented in the movie. For one, he was missing a sidekick. And I hated that he had to miss all of the big Muppet moments at the end of the film, like Rainbow Connection. And there wasn't enough of him in general.

But the one that gets me the most was the part where the others went to collect him. I just couldn't buy cold businessman Gonzo. And that was supposed to have been his persona for twenty years? Even if he was still zany on the inside. I just don't think Gonzo has 'corporate CEO' in him, at all. That part felt very forced by the writing.

But hey, that was just one movie. On to the next, and may Gonzo have several excuses to say "Cool!" in it. :smile: