TV Alert: Muppets on The Bachelorette May 21

Borples

Reaction score
That was just super cute. I think I've been Kermit deprived lately. For a while there, we were getting several new appearances or interviews a week. But this is the first new material since Carnegie Hall, right? I was getting twitchy. :wink: Kermit was in really good form, too. I love the way Steve handles him--all the little hand taps and such. He's so alive.

Piggy really trotted out her entire wardrobe for this one, didn't she? The pig looked marvelous--of course! And Kermit said he loved her. Even if it was under duress. I mean, it was the actual, honest-to-goodness L-word. :flirt::flirt::flirt:

Statler was a nice surprise! This was one time I was really sympathizing with the old grump. I couldn't believe I was watching it either, Statler.

But it's funny. I was in a rush to get kids to bed, so I didn't bother turning off the tv when the Muppets were done. So later, while I was doing dishes and such, I could hear the rest of the show. And it was so, so icky. Just gross beyond my comprehension. But the part with the Muppets really wasn't. It's like Danny said, the Muppets really took over and changed the show while they were on it. Thank goodness. It just goes to prove my theory that television in general needs more Muppets!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I thought it was great. I loved Kermit flirting with Emily. She is quite attractive.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I kinda stand by the opinion that Piggy is still coming off as the overly-mean one-dimensional always-angry compassion-lacking "It's HI-YAH time" version of her that she is not supposed to be.

I really do think that Jim Lewis, Kirk Thatcher and Eric Jacobson should get some coachings from Frank Oz on how to better handle her character and maintain the depth that she used to have and rarely shows today.

In a way, the pig needs to grow up.

EDIT: Okay, I take a little bit of this back. After watching the clips, I saw Piggy express SOME niceness. And at least Kermit was able to actually reassure her that she was just having yet another one of her misunderstandings.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I just wish they had shown more of the show...it was kind of annoying you'd see clips and then it would flash to one of the guys talking but hopefully some clips will be put on abc. I also wished Fozzie got more air time but again this wasn't the muppet show unfortunately. :/

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And Kermit said he loved her. Even if it was under duress. I mean, it was the actual, honest-to-goodness L-word. :flirt::
See?! I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it was kind of a big deal okay for me it was HUGE because in all of 35 years Kermit has never said those words!!!! And even if it was in the heat of the moment and Piggy demanded it you could tell he meant it!!!! Cause we couldve went back to the muppet show days and just have Kermit run off stage. Lol! I love how Steve is developing their relationship since the movie came out! By the way not yelling just still excited!!!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Yeah i think Kermit is being more open about being in a relationship with Piggy but last night is the first time I heard him say the L word...If I'm correct he has said they are not married...though the Paper Towel commercials do have the wedding scene from MTM hanging in the backgraound

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah i think Kermit is being more open about being in a relationship with Piggy but last night is the first time I heard him say the L word...If I'm correct he has said they are not married...though the Paper Towel commercials do have the wedding scene from MTM hanging in the backgraound
No their not married but if you saw any of the interviews they did during the promotion of the movie Kermit admitted in every single one when the question was asked which was a lot Lol! that they were together, a couple or have been in a relationship for 35 years. And some of those were also when they just interviewed him by himself. So he also admitted it when Piggy wasn't even there to pressure him. I mean it makes sense since they got back together in the movie. And I think this is Steve's way of not letting Kermit's character get stale because lets face it it was getting wayyy old having him be in denial. Lol! Even when Jim performed Kermit he would at times admit they were together. Me and another member joked it depended on Jim's mood if he wanted Kermit to be all lovey or not. Lol!

Pshh I mean come on he was even open to adopting kids with Piggy because he thinks it's not possible for them to actually have kids together Lol! so there ya go he's definitely not as shy with it. I should note this was in another interview not on The Bachelorette obviously. Lol! :smile: :mad:

As for the paper towel commerical I think it's obvious who probably put that picture up there. Lol!

Borples

Reaction score
It's also interesting that Piggy is now admitting that they're not married--she was pretty adamant that they were for decades. I was a little sad about that, honestly, but it's nice having Kermit acknowledge that they're a couple. I guess it's a compromise. :smile:

Pinky, that's an interesting take about Steve. I'd kind of assumed that it was a Disney-mandated thing. I like your idea better; I'm going to go with it.

Borples

Reaction score
I kinda stand by the opinion that Piggy is still coming off as the overly-mean one-dimensional always-angry compassion-lacking "It's HI-YAH time" version of her that she is not supposed to be.

I really do think that Jim Lewis, Kirk Thatcher and Eric Jacobson should get some coachings from Frank Oz on how to better handle her character and maintain the depth that she used to have and rarely shows today.
I wonder if it's not more the writers than Frank/Eric? I get what you're talking about, but I've noticed it more in scripted bits like this one (although, like you observed, Piggy had some nicer moments last night). In interviews and more off-the-cuff appearances, I'd argue that Eric's Piggy is more of a--well, a person--than Frank's. At least, than Frank's later Piggy appearances. Eric's Piggy has kind of a hair-trigger, true, but she's quite civil unless provoked. And she's particularly sweet to children and people who might actually get their feelings hurt. Did you see when she was on Project Runway? She never once said anything really mean about the contestants' designs when the contestants were actually in the room. She waited until later. :big_grin:

Frank, now. That Pig was a force of nature, and not always in a good way. She didn't let interviewers get a word in edgewise, much less any fellow Muppets that might be there. She'd lean heavily on male interviewers, and flirt with them mercilessly until they stepped out of line--at which point she'd smack them down hard, either literally or verbally. With the female interviewers, she'd usually skip the flirting and go straight to the smacking. Eric's Piggy actually answers the questions posed to her, while Frank's ignored them altogether and talked about whatever the heck she felt like talking about. Frank's Piggy was funny as all get out in interviews, but nice? Compassionate? Nnnope. If she were a human instead of a Muppet, no one would ever have invited her back, ever.