Letter and number of the day

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cookie's were at least funny and had a little variety in how he would not eat the letter of the day. Count's were the same thing each time, the only difference being what animal would appear at the end.

The ones with him and Prairie were great; they need more of them in the show. It's such a funny pairing that they never thought of tapping until the early 90's.
When they changed the format slightly with the number of the day and had him count sheep until an elephant pops up... I kinda liked that one. But that seemed like such a lost concept. What I really liked, though, was when The Count sang to the number of the day and the Countess shouted "SCHTOPP!!!" If they just varied that slightly with the waiter reactions, they could have had something.

Wasn't there supposed to be some Transylvanian lottery segment? I forget if that even existed.

But those Cookie and Prairie segments were amazing. You could never go wrong with those letter of the day segments, other than the fact it took a couple seasons to make new ones. And I really think the Letter of the Day game, while formulaic, really had great payoffs with Prairie.

Still, my biggest gripe is that the Murray hosted closing "sponsor" announcement is so bland, and nothing but dubbed in letter and number with the same dialogue. I wish they'd at least mix that up next season. Add another character, change the dialogue from episode to episode... something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If there was ever an actual "canon" as far as SST is concerned, I would've said that Cookie and Prairie belong together... they have a really interesting dynamic and interplay that somehow doesn't get old, because the writers seem to always try something different with each time they get together; to this day, I still get a laugh at Prairie having Cookie imagine the consequences of his actions of stealing her cookies, and even going so far as imagining Prairie reporting him to a stereotypical Irish police officer who arrests him for stealing her cookies. Not only that, but Fran Brill has said before that behind the scenes, even in the old days, Jim and Frank would like to "gang up" on her whenever Prairie was involved with a scene, just to see how far they can push her to the limits as far as her prissiness and need of perfection is concerned, with Frank even going so far as adlibbing Cookie looking under her dress.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there was ever an actual "canon" as far as SST is concerned, I would've said that Cookie and Prairie belong together... they have a really interesting dynamic and interplay that somehow doesn't get old, because the writers seem to always try something different with each time they get together; to this day, I still get a laugh at Prairie having Cookie imagine the consequences of his actions of stealing her cookies, and even going so far as imagining Prairie reporting him to a stereotypical Irish police officer who arrests him for stealing her cookies. Not only that, but Fran Brill has said before that behind the scenes, even in the old days, Jim and Frank would like to "gang up" on her whenever Prairie was involved with a scene, just to see how far they can push her to the limits as far as her prissiness and need of perfection is concerned, with Frank even going so far as adlibbing Cookie looking under her dress.
If not canonically, then comedically.

Prairie is an excellent straight man, being the perfect little girl that knows everything, and Cookie being the more controlled uncontrollable type (more controlled than Animal, at least). Constant Cookie vs. Prairie skits would be a way to get Prairie on the show, at this point.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But then again, there's actually been a ressurgence of some sort in speaking in out-dated slang from the 60s and 70s: "Peace", "Sweet", "Split", etc... though you have to be careful, because within some groups, in this day and age especially, using that kind of jargan makes people think you're on drugs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But then again, there's actually been a ressurgence of some sort in speaking in out-dated slang from the 60s and 70s: "Peace", "Sweet", "Split", etc... though you have to be careful, because within some groups, in this day and age especially, using that kind of jargan makes people think you're on drugs.
Murray's "Pee-AAYCe" is more like outdated 1990's rap slang, if anything. I find it cute, but like I said... his ending letter and number announcements need to be varied.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I agree. You say I believe in peace you don't get any problems. Most people believe you're right. Now if you say peace. Then you're assoicated with hippies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Murray's "Pee-AAYCe" is more like outdated 1990's rap slang, if anything. I find it cute, but like I said... his ending letter and number announcements need to be varied.
Yeah, in that case, it's kind of like that sort of, "Yo-yo-yo, gee, peace-out" kinda thing... ironically, even though it's more recent, "Bling" is now considered out-dated. Then for something like "Yo", which I use frequently myself, most people think you have to be "hip" to say that, but it actually dates back well into the 50s, as depicted on M*A*S*H whenever someone addressed Henry Blake, and he would respond with a flourished, "Yo-o!"
I agree. You say I believe in peace you don't get any problems. Most people believe you're right. Now if you say peace. Then you're assoicated with hippies.
Slang seems to come and go in vicious cycles. Like when I was in middle school, for an entire year, one word that was constantly tossed around among kids was "Trifolin" (not even sure that's how you spell), and to this day, I'm still not even sure what it means, but it didn't last long... I think it became a part of regular vocabulary at that point in time because of a pop song, I'm pretty sure.