Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio is finally happening with Henson Co.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That depends... do you want a quality production or something that makes money? I actually liked that Indiana Jones film, for the record, but when you do a sequel, you have to strike while the iron is hot at the risk of trying too hard to recapture something that was organic.

But other than that, I'm not sure how much of a monetary difference reconstructing live puppets vs stop motion puppets is. That could be a factor. Plus it doesn't seem Henson would have much more involvement than a producer credit. Same reason why we have Dinosaur Train. A Henson freelancer came up with the idea, they hired an overseas animation studio, and Canadian voice acting vets to play the characters... in essence, Henson doesn't quite have that much to do with the show itself. So maybe the fact this is basically outsourced to Del Toro and presumably his production team is why this one's happening, vs one they have more control over.

Laszlo

Reaction score
That depends... do you want a quality production or something that makes money? I actually liked that Indiana Jones film, for the record, ...
But other than that, I'm not sure how much of a monetary difference reconstructing live puppets vs stop motion puppets is.
Yes, I kinda liked the new Indy Jones too, not as much as the first 2, but it has the best cinematography of all 4.

Stop Motion is much cheaper as far as I know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only thing that's really held up both the DC and Fraggle movies are the fact they need to partner with another production company, and there were no takers. FR needed a third business partner because the company I dare not speak its name of that Henson trusted was that pathetic.

Just the name Del Toro has some pull. Had they a bigger name attached to DC or FR, that pull would have gotten the necessary business partners to invest in those projects.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing Del Toro I'm really interested in is his better take on Disney's Haunted Mansion. Sadly, I haven't heard of any progress with that project. :frown:

Laszlo

Reaction score
Just the name Del Toro has some pull. Had they a bigger name attached to DC or FR, that pull would have gotten the necessary business partners to invest in those projects.
While technically great, Del Toro movies are generally too surrealistic and depressive IMO.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While technically great, Del Toro movies are generally too surrealistic and depressive IMO.
Doesn't matter about quality. It's the name that has the weight in Hollywood. Fraggle Rock was never made because the biggest name in production was the guy who did a third party CGI film that sorta did alright, but never comes up too much in conversations.

Simply put, the bigger the name attached, the more pull the project has. If a project fails with a big name, said big name will never let anyone hear the end of it, and it could actually break relationships and companies if things go really downhill.

The only thing Del Toro I'm really interested in is his better take on Disney's Haunted Mansion. Sadly, I haven't heard of any progress with that project. :frown:
Probably because he's busy with a lot of other things. He's got a hand in the upcoming Hobbit movie... possibly has some hand in something Dreamworks is doing again. Plus, I heard it was just announced a little while ago. He's probably still working on the script, if he's writing it.

Laszlo

Reaction score
So how about Peter Jackson directing DC2 ?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This is not the Dark Crystal thread! Here are four threads (out of many) that explore the frustration of that motion picture's development or lack thereof.

I don't think anyone who's seen Del Toro work on the Hellboy series can paint him with the "depressive" label. That's like saying Jim Henson was a children's entertainer because he worked on Sesame Street. Both filmmakers have shown vast skill-sets. Del Toro can be quite agile at balancing humor with the often frightening nature of the fantasy properties that warrant it. I think he's a great fit for this version of Pinocchio at the Henson Company and they'd be lucky to have him for any fantasy production. He does put a definite stamp on things. He also honors the source material more than most directors. We're going to be getting a lot more of his work in theaters. :smile:

Laszlo

Reaction score
This is not the Dark Crystal thread!
Sorry... forgot that :wink:

I don't think anyone who's seen Del Toro work on the Hellboy series can paint him with the "depressive" label. That's like saying Jim Henson was a children's entertainer because he worked on Sesame Street.
But IMO Henson is mainly a childrens entertainer! All his works are mainly for children. Most people I know think even Dark Crystal and Labyrinth as childrens movies.