Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio is finally happening with Henson Co.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The Gris Grimly take on the Carlo Collodi classic that has been in development with Guillermo Del Toro and the Jim Henson Company for several years is officially in progress with Fantastic Mr. Fox director Mark Gustafson to co-direct with Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth director Del Toro. Yaaaaaaaay! I pasted together the concept art below, but that's not the official logo.

Read the official press release: here!

Drtooth

Reaction score
As long as it's NOTHING like the last Henson made Pinocchio movie.

Or Emperor of the Night for that matter.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As long as it's NOTHING like the last Henson made Pinocchio movie.

Or Emperor of the Night for that matter.
Agreed. I hated that version of Pinocchio, but this one will be animated and based on book and drawings of Gris Grimly. Henson is producing the picture and creating the stop-motion puppets under the direction of Del Toro and the director of The Fantastic Mr. Fox. This will be that darker take closer to the source material that so many people have wanted, but with Del Toro's undeniable stamp. This really is the most brilliant merging of styles. If successful it could mark the beginning of a lot of Del Toro helmed animated projects. I didn't realize he consulted on so many recent animated pictures like MegaMind, Puss in Boots and Kung Fu Panda 2.

There is another rumored Pinocchio project in production so it makes sense someone would finally set this one in motion. It's likely to be a few years before we see it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I can't understand a thing from that picture.
What is that supposed to be?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I can't understand a thing from that picture.
What is that supposed to be?
What the hey? I encourage you to go back and read the accompanying text , link and headline associated with that picture. :wink:

• clipped together concept art
  • from a stop-motion animated Pinocchio film by the Henson Co.
  • directed by Del Toro

Laszlo

Reaction score
Not THAT excited... I mean: Where is DARK CRYSTAL 2 ????

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That's a different Henson-based deal with different people. It has no bearing on this project one way or the other, so can't we at least be happy for this longtime-coming victory? :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's been totally abandoned at this point. And quite honestly, the original film stands alone beautifully. Another one would be nice, but it could also be a disappointment. Lots of long awaited sequels to movies usually are. So I'm mixed.

Agreed. I hated that version of Pinocchio, but this one will be animated and based on book and drawings of Gris Grimly. Henson is producing the picture and creating the stop-motion puppets under the direction of Del Toro and the director of The Fantastic Mr. Fox. This will be that darker take closer to the source material that so many people have wanted, but with Del Toro's undeniable stamp.
Much like everything Disney ever did, the "lighter" version is the one that will be easily remembered and readily referenced. I just wonder how dark Del Toro plans to get... is the cricket going to get accidentally killed and come back as a ghost? Will Pinocchio be hanged? Anyway, I'm very excited to hear this. I'm hearing of all these gritty fairy tale reboots that add darkness that isn't half as interesting as the original darkness in the source material (especially the Twilight-ified nonsense). I'm inclined to think this wouldn't be the case.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That's been totally abandoned at this point. And quite honestly, the original film stands alone beautifully. Another one would be nice, but it could also be a disappointment. Lots of long awaited sequels to movies usually are. So I'm mixed.

Much like everything Disney ever did, the "lighter" version is the one that will be easily remembered and readily referenced. I just wonder how dark Del Toro plans to get... is the cricket going to get accidentally killed and come back as a ghost? Will Pinocchio be hanged? Anyway, I'm very excited to hear this. I'm hearing of all these gritty fairy tale reboots that add darkness that isn't half as interesting as the original darkness in the source material (especially the Twilight-ified nonsense). I'm inclined to think this wouldn't be the case.
It's Del Toro...you could probably bet on that.