Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Regardless of quality, there was little follow through by way of promotion after the projects ended. Disney chose to thoroughly push the Muppets brand after the film had hit theaters and beyond. That's the real game changer this time around.

Not to belabor the point,:search: but Segel only recently professed his change of perspective. He glowed about his collection well after production had ended and after the premiere :flirt: . That's what leads me to believe that, beautiful as that sentiment of friendship over fandom sounds, some other reasoning seems to be at play. It's less of a judgment than an observation of something very uncharacteristic of him up to this point. It could be that his face being on so many Muppet posters has influenced his career offers in a way that makes him uncomfortable. It would also explain why he'd decline a brief cameo in the next movie. Nonetheless, we're all thankful for his involvement reigniting the flame of Muppet domination.

To our new members - welcome! We love new people. :smile: Please note that it's the moderators' job to keep things on topic. A running commentary of personal affirmation and/or disapproval in every single post is not necessary. Forums are about sharing. :wink:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Anyways..........and it doesn't matter how much the muppets put out in the 12 years before the movie because let's be blunt if it's crap it ain't gonna make much money is it? And Disney at the time wasn't really caring despite they bought the rights. It's only till how much money this movie has brought in that now their sitting up straight in their chairs and listening.

As for Jason good luck to him is all I gotta say.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Perfectly stated. Segel, like us, saw the untapped value of the franchise instead of the corporate cynicism that tainted Muppets From Space or the presumption from other insiders that the Muppets could just pick up where they left off and the public would automatically accept them. He knew that the Muppets required another introduction so that new fans could be created and keep the franchise alive. Of course all of this was done while maintaining the roots of the Muppets.
There's definitely something corporate, but it's also just being on the inside as a writer or a performer. Everything essentially feels like it's been done before, and then you feel you need a gimmick, at the very least, so everything doesn't feel the same when writing it. Like i said, everyone knows why the Muppets were special, they just couldn't remember what made the movies special. They always managed to get one thing right, and everything else wrong.

I can't so much agree with Herald on quality vs Quantity so much as trial and error with a lot of trials and too many errors. There was something essential in the formula that was missing. The outsiders knew what the X factor was.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well despite what has happened to the muppets in the past I think it's safe to say for now their on the right track, and lets just hope it continues to stay that way.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
There's definitely something corporate, but it's also just being on the inside as a writer or a performer. Everything essentially feels like it's been done before, and then you feel you need a gimmick, at the very least, so everything doesn't feel the same when writing it. Like i said, everyone knows why the Muppets were special, they just couldn't remember what made the movies special. They always managed to get one thing right, and everything else wrong.

I can't so much agree with Herald on quality vs Quantity so much as trial and error with a lot of trials and too many errors. There was something essential in the formula that was missing. The outsiders knew what the X factor was.
I agree. Along with Jim, the Muppets also lost Richard, and Frank was largely absent. The Muppets' success has always been due to the ensemble effort of cast members and performers. I kind of feel that the Muppets could have found their way back sooner if Fozzie, Piggy, Scooter and Rowlf had been recast in the early 90's. Much of the magic was lost due to the absence and/or dubbing of those key characters. Some fans felt the Muppets were "phoning it in" and in many cases they were! :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree. Along with Jim, the Muppets also lost Richard, and Frank was largely absent. The Muppets' success has always been due to the ensemble effort of cast members and performers. I kind of feel that the Muppets could have found their way back sooner if Fozzie, Piggy, Scooter and Rowlf had been recast in the early 90's. Much of the magic was lost due to the absence and/or dubbing of those key characters. Some fans felt the Muppets were "phoning it in" and in many cases they were! :embarrassed:
I know that Steve wasn't initially comfortable with Kermit, but it really wasn't until VMX when he was actually being used much. And it's a shame since I really feel that the performance in MCC was good... but there was something off about MTI and worst of all, he felt completely shoehorned into MFS. That's strange, since it seemed like he was going backwards. Gonzo, Rizzo, and then Clifford pretty much had to carry the load of the projects themselves. The newer characters did fill in a few empty places, but some of those yet to be recast characters were missed. I really wish David got Scooter earlier. He would have been great as Scrooge's nephew.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Okay, Segel is definitely in my good fan graces after reading his recently publicized rejection letter from our Secretary of State. Wow!

Can I say again? Wow!!

zoebell

Reaction score
omg, that is so awesome! wait what is this from? he wanted her to be in a movie with him?