Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Okay but it makes it sound like unless you've been a member of this forum for 10 years or more then people wouldn't truly understand the muppets and I strongly disagree with that. But I don't wanna derail this conversation anymore so moving on.

And I feel you also need to look outside the muppet forum because while maybe everyone on HERE hasn't forgotten the muppets many people did outside. And to me none of the things they did after Jim were good. I hope I don't get flammed for that. But I'm just gonna be blunt and say for me none of what they did during that time was good. I'm not saying all of it was so terrible I hated it but it was like after Jim died that spark was just gone. And I think many people felt that for years. Again just my personal opinion.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
While the Muppets hadn't maintained a wave of popularity as they did in the 70's and 80's, they really weren't stagnant either. There have been plenty of active projects and products on the market.
Sadly the problem was quantity vs quality. That's why I'm glad Segel did finally get it back on track. :smile:

zoebell

Reaction score
i would agree EXCEPT for the muppet christmas carol. one of my favorite movies ever, lol

Ruahnna

Reaction score
On the whole Jason distancing himself thing....

First of all, bless him. Fifty times thank you, Jason! But here's something that changed for Jason once he actually made the movie, and it was something that we saw happen to Walter in the movie. At first, there is star-gazing--wanting desperately to be a part of something that you see (it doesn't have to be on television) and feeling that, somehow, you have something to contribute to them. Fandom of all kinds is rife with people who feel that way. But once Walter became one of the muppets in the movie, then some of his hero-worship of Kermit and the others naturally went away and they became...friends. Jason was a fan, and now he's a friend. It changes the basic nature of the relationship.

I had the very rare privilege once of making friends with one of my heroes. I had written a fan story and he responded to it. We began to exchange letters and, at different conventions, introduced our spouses, went to dinner, etc. Once, my husband and I took his lovely wife out--away from the convention--for a breather while he did his thing on stage. I will admit just a twinge of guilt/envy because I missed his session on stage at the convention, but I felt like it was more important to be a friend instead of a fan at that time. He and his wife were kind enough to indulge my "OMGosh! I'm so excited!"-ness when it occasionally surfaced, which it did more and more rarely. Once, in order to escape the press of fans, they spent part of the afternoon in my hotel room. I seem to remember sewing on my costume for the costume contest while we talked, outwardly nonchalant but just thrilled inside to be with them, a trusted and familiar friend.

Another friend of mine not only met one of her screen heroes (on a fan cruise), but she MARRIED him. A few years later, she donated all of the fan paraphernalia she had collected about him to a charity auction. It wasn't that she wasn't still a fan of his--she most certainly was!--but it was now a real relationship and she had moved from adoring him from afar to adoring him up-close-and-personal. He seemed to appreciate the latter more than the former!

Luckily for us, Jason got to meet some of his heroes and, in the process, made those same heroes accessible to others in a way they hadn't been before. When you've been "rubbing Elmos" with the muppets for the better part of a year, then the heat of fan worship ought to cool a little, and be replaced by the warm fuzziness of friendship.

Also, and this saddens me to think, but Hollywood is anxious to pigeon-hole actors so they can better package them--like giving a laundry soap a catchy slogan. Jason has and will have his own significant body of work, and giving away his muppet fan stuff may have been necessary to keep Hollywood from constantly aligning him with a project to which he has already given what he hoped to give. To keep from being known as "that muppet man," he may have had to take more drastic measure. If that is the case, I sincerely hope that he stuffed a secret treasure or two in the back of his closet to remember what brought him to the muppets, and what brought the muppets back to us. I will always be one of his fans because of that, wherever his career may take him.

On a quick personal note--I would appreciate other forum members not presuming to speak for me or state my opinions without being asked. I am, as you can see, perfectly capable of making my own opinions known in the way that I wish.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Luckily for us, Jason got to meet some of his heroes and, in the process, made those same heroes accessible to others in a way they hadn't been before. When you been "rubbing Elmos" with the muppets for the better part of a year, then the heat of fan worship ought to cool a little, and be replaced by the warm fuzziness of friendship.

Also, and this saddens me to think, but Hollywood is anxious to pigeon-hole actors so they can better package them--like giving a laundry soap a catchy slogan. Jason has and will have his own significant body of work, and giving away his muppet fan stuff may be been necessary to keep Hollywood from constantly aligning him with a project to which he has already given what he hoped to give.
Good points here regarding Jason's decisions recently. His star is at about his peak, and it's best for him to try and do as many different things as possible to establish himself as an A-list actor/writer. Sadly The Five Year Engagement is not doing all that well at the box office despite getting decent reviews (I haven't seen, so I don't know if there's anything to it. He has to keep going forward, just like I'll imagine he'll leave How I Met Your Mother in a couple years to do movies full-time.

Also, "rubbing Elmos" is one of the most brilliant turns of phrase I've seen on this forum ever. Many salutations and congratulations.