Muppet Convention

beakerboy12

Reaction score
We aren't Trekkies or Star Wars fans, yes, but I think we need to keep thinking this MuppetFest/Muppet convention idea needs to be seriously revisited. I read around the web that a few years, maybe last year, don't hold that against me, that Invader Zim has it's own con. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Invader Zim is an awesome show that really should've been continued. But to have a fan con of something that only had one two season series that has a cult following. Awesome. We have three shows and seven movies under our belt (excluding Sesame Street and JHC stuff) and an equal fan following. I think we sincerely need another fan convention to show our love for Muppets! That and to meet some Muppet performers!

dwmckim

Reaction score
I like the idea in theory - but when one considers reality things get messier.

Things are very different these days than they were in 2001 (original Muppetfest) - not only is our economy still a mess but gas prices makes travel prohibitive for too many people for "splurge" type purchases/trips.

Too many people who such an event would be geared towards ultimately wouldn't be able too attend. The time for one just isn't now.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Actually, luxury items sales are up. Just saying.... Things are rough all over but this still needs to be explored. Once we got a dollar figure on prices, people could work toward it, or start saving for the next one. (Said the lady with two-and-a-half-jobs and too much month left at the end of my money.) Just because everyone can't go doesn't mean no one should.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I guess it would depend where it is and how much, also who would be there and what it'll all entail like what it's gonna have. Even though there IS a market for it with the Muppets having a great box office but ya never know.

Daniel

dwmckim

Reaction score
Actually, luxury items sales are up. Just saying.... Things are rough all over but this still needs to be explored. Once we got a dollar figure on prices, people could work toward it, or start saving for the next one. (Said the lady with two-and-a-half-jobs and too much month left at the end of my money.) Just because everyone can't go doesn't mean no one should.
In all fairness though, a MuppetFest wouldn't be a "luxury item" that one purchases and owns - it's a major all-encompassing expense...

- Cost of ticket. Just getting in the door to begin with. Remember Disney owns the Muppets now - any prices associated with the event would at the very least be three times as much as the original - Disney wouldn't care about making things affordable, they'd price gouge the stuffing out of anything and everything.

- Stuff to buy at the fest - again Disney will go way overboard at making anyone attend want to buy as much extra as possible and they'll charge an arm and a leg for a whatnot eyeball.

- Travel expenses. Gas costs four to five times as much as it did in 2001. Kermit may have sang "Getting there is half the fun" in Muppet Movie, but many people wouldn't be able to get halfway TO the fun (not to mention the trip BACK)

- Lodging. Unless you're fortunate enough to be local, you'll have to pay for a hotel stay.

...At today's prices, you're already looking at four figures. And that's just considering the money going OUT - on the flip side there's also the money NOT coming IN...in a day and age where most people are barely scraping by living paycheck to paycheck, missing work can be problematic enough when one's sick much less taking a vacation.

I'm not saying another Fest should never happen but there's a time and place for such things and at a time where the middle class (and all the lower classes underneath) is being squeezed out of existence, this is not the time...and speaking of place -

- Hold it on the West coast and people will complain the last one was done there too. Yet if it's done on the East coast, then you get into a situation where it's mostly convenient for the same group that's already benefitted from a large number of multiple recent official and unofficial fan events - from the various Jim Henson Legacy shows to Tough Pigs Vaults. If it's all the same people that have already been gathering for meets and events anyway, what's the point?

Just because everyone can't go doesn't mean no one should.
True, just because of multiple variables, even in the best of times 100% of the people who would want to go ultimately wouldn't be able to do so in the end - but the more important thing to keep in mind are the ratios - if too much of the people such an event would even be FOR in the first place would find the costs/logistics in actually attending prohibitive, then you have the very definition of a Bad Idea. Let's also not forget part of what makes such a con a success and desirable is the abililty to meet and share the experience with other fans. If too many of the people who SHOULD be there CAN'T, it's a bit like attending a family reunion where you're stuck with only the mother-in-laws.

I look forward to the day when the economy and the country's in a better place and such excursions are more easily doable for most of such an event's target audience. But now's not that time. Better to be patient and wait for when circumstances are better. In the meantime, there's better options such as the touring Jim Henson's Fantastic World - where the event comes to YOU rather than the other way around. When it's in your area, you can enjoy everything on a smaller more localized scale and those who aren't so financially challenged can enjoy seeing it in different places, meeting more people and taking advantage of the unique features associated with each leg.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I say instead of a just a muppets convention why not just do a Jim Henson convention? I think something like that would fly more with people then just a muppets convention. Combine of all Jim Henson's works into one big event. :big_grin:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'd be all for being on a team of sorts to put this together. Heck, I'd be for putting the team together! :smile: I might not be the richest guy around and the stuff DW has to say is very valid but if the My Little Pony fandom (a fandom I should add is for a cartoon that has been on for less than two years, not saying I have anything against the Bronies seeing as I'm one of them) can have at least 2-3 conventions in New York a year, I don't see why we can't give a Henson convention a shot.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I mean not only could you do the muppets but you have all sorts of panels for Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth etc. I could name a lot of things you could do with a Jim Henson convention as opposed to just a muppets convention.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I mean not only could you do the muppets but you have all sorts of panels for Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth etc. I could name a lot of things you could do with a Jim Henson convention as opposed to just a muppets convention.
If we get something off the ground, this is how I would prefer it to turn out.

We don't need something as completely all-out as MuppetFest. It's great to just have it as a fan-run thing, we can get guests there's no doubt in my mind about that. But I'm for the Henson convention idea rather than MuppetFest Dos.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Just saying because some people and as crazy as it sounds might not really be into the muppets like we are but they might love Fraggle Rock.