Is The New Fraggle Rock Movie Such a good Idea?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate to say it but you guys hit the nail on the head. If Fraggle Rock made a come back, it would have to be through a smaller vehicle. A movie wouldnt be easy to pull off correctly.
Id be happy with more little cameos or shorts.
Like I said on another thread, the only way we'll be able to make new Fraggle Rock Puppets is if they do indeed have a major project, like a movie, to relaunch the franchise. A new show seems very unlikely, I doubt DTV movies would be that profitable enough to justify the budget of building all those puppets (they cost a small fortune per character, not to mention the mechanical components of Doozers and the large cost of building Gorgs). For Youtube virals, all they really need is Uncle Matt, IMO... but a movie does indeed need to get made if Henson wants to bring these characters back and make them their signature franchise. Henson would do it alone if they could. We'd have one by now if that can happen. But they need the partnership, and that's been the stumbling block the entire time.

I seriously think that they need to contact the surviving writers of the series and have them either as creative consultants or, like the Simpsons movie, have them collaborate to write a script together.

But I still don't think the movie's gonna happen. They're better off getting Happy Time Murders off the ground first.

bandit

Reaction score
Now you're talkin! That is something that is more likely to get off the ground.
Yeah, I wouldn't think that a new show would be economical either. I think having the characters crop up like they did at the concert is a good way to generate a little buzz. Thats what I meant. I'd be happy to see more of that kind of inclusion.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A movie is the best option they have to relaunch the franchise. It's an all or nothing gamble, but even the risks aren't quite as high as new television show. If they can make this movie pretty low budget, than even if it doesn't do to well or even does moderately well, they could profit/not lose a Green Lantern/John Carter sized budget. The puppet building will probably be the bulk of the budget... but once they build those puppets, they can use them for years before they decay and have to be rebuilt.

Actually, that's a good reason for Henson to make the movie. They can just use whatever film budget they have building puppets to launch another show, DTV sequel, or viral videos, having the cost for them already spent. It's just about maintenance then. Even if the movie flops incredibly, they still have puppets to use. That's why you sometimes see Elmo in Grouchland characters pop up every so often on Sesame Street.

PanthraDion

Reaction score
As we all know if you been following the news lately, about a Fraggle rock movie on the horizion. The Jim Henson Company just gave the rights to New Regency to make the new Fraggle movie, my question is, is it really such a good idea??
I would like to see a new Fraggle movie but I am kinda worried, we know the Muppets will be okay becuase with the crative minds at Disney, The muppets will be brought back to their formal glory, but New Regency, I am not so sure about.
I'm kind of worried that they will want to make it the NEXT BIG THING, and it will not end up being good. Do you think it's a good idea

Muppet fan 123
Well, what I am worried about is that if a Fraggle movie is made that they will completely mess up the personalities of the Fraggle 5, or that they will try to put modern songs in the movie. Saying that, I am truly sorry if I offend anyone by typing this, but I really dislike the currently popular singers and their songs with a passion. The singers and songs I do like are people like John Denver, Simon and Garfunkel, and of corse Fraggle and Muppet songs. What I would like to see happen is have the Jim Henson Company partner with Disney to do a Fraggle Rock movie. That would just about guarantee a good Fraggle movie.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Well, what I am worried about is that if a Fraggle movie is made that they will completely mess up the personalities of the Fraggle 5, or that they will try to put modern songs in the movie. Saying that, I am truly sorry if I offend anyone by typing this, but I really dislike the currently popular singers and their songs with a passion. The singers and songs I do like are people like John Denver, Simon and Garfunkel, and of corse Fraggle and Muppet songs. What I would like to see happen is have the Jim Henson Company partner with Disney to do a Fraggle Rock movie. That would just
about guarantee a good Fraggle movie.

Well I do know what you about that another company is going take care that plus they need a new writer for the task.
A good writer contest can be a help too!