"Sid the Science Kid: The Movie" in the works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Very happy to hear this. I hope this really does happen
Me too. This would be a great thing for Henson. I feel like they've done a really good job with Sid. I'm still not used to the idea that the Jim Henson Company doesn't equal the Muppets, but all these other projects (Sid, Dinosaur Train, Pajanimals) are really top notch children's entertainment. I think a Sid movie would do well.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A successful "Sid the Science Kid" movie might also generate enough revenue to pave the way for the Fraggle Rock film that's been in development since 2005.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Somehow I see this being direct to DVD or a Kidtoon cinema deal, not a big actual theatrical movie. And even if it was, I don't think it would tend to be in theaters all that long. Sounds very low budget, and I'm wondering if they're using any digital puppetry in this one. Otherwise, it looks like they're just using the same animation studio as Dino Train.

Sounds good though, I'd see it.

beaker

Reaction score
Against the track record JHC has for announcing big things (series and movie wise) that never get turned into reality, this doesn't seem like one of those projects. I forsee it as being a Fall or Xmas period Target/Walmart/TRU endcap dvd release.

I'm surprised (in a good way) Pajanimals is being turned into a full fledged series, as I feel it's import for JHC to always have at least one television puppet show or project.
But yeah...Doozers the series, FR movie, DC2: POTC, HTM, etc...

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think this could be more of a Made for DVD movie release, but then again, who knows? It COULD be a kid movie that probably won't be out as long but still get kids in the theaters. It won't be a blockbuster, I don't see it pulling 'Lorax' type numbers, unless they wanna put it in 3D or something, but I see it pulling a decent amount for a rated-G type movie.

Daniel

Collgoff

Reaction score
I can not believe it! There's going to be a Sid the Science Kid movie and I only found that out this moring.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think this could be more of a Made for DVD movie release, but then again, who knows? It COULD be a kid movie that probably won't be out as long but still get kids in the theaters. It won't be a blockbuster, I don't see it pulling 'Lorax' type numbers, unless they wanna put it in 3D or something, but I see it pulling a decent amount for a rated-G type movie.

Daniel
Movies based on current cartoons are a crapshoot. They got very lucky with South Park, Beavis and Butt-Head, The Simpsons, Spongebob, and Rugrats (the first 2, anyway)... but PPG, Hey Arnold, and a bunch of others are completely forgotten. And the kicker is, most of the movies listed ARE adult cartoons that do more with a movie rating than a television one. Simpsons got away with Homer flipping off... the R rating took the leash off of South Park.

Still... those cartoons mentioned were popular at the time, even the ones that flopped. Dinosaur Train is a moderate success. I'm surprised they're not looking into that. Sid's slightly popular... but even the most popular Pre-school based movies don't do well. Even FTB didn't pull in a major haul, but became a perennial favorite on home video.

I don't see this happening unless it's DTV. It will be released theatrically, sure... but Kidtoons Cinema theatrically.

Status
Not open for further replies.